Page 1 of 2
This is an interesting article:

Another powerful woman has been discouraged from speaking on campus. Because God forbid my fellow, fragile millennials have their ears damaged by words with which they don’t agree.

As temperatures finally rise and trees bloom, the class of 2014 is preparing to don their caps and gowns, bid farewell to the cozy confines of campus life, and attempt to enter into an unwelcoming workforce; maybe they’re even carrying around a mountain of student loan debt. It is understandable, then, that the class of 2014 is a little bit on edge. But someone needs to tell them to calm the hell down.

Today marks the second time in a month that a powerful female figure has pulled out of delivering a commencement speech because of opposition from a seriously uptight and holier-than-thou student body.

Christine Lagarde, head of the International Monetary Fund, has decided not to serve as commencement speaker for Smith College’s May 18, 2014 graduation, after students started a petition protesting her selection.

The petition—which boasts 483 signatures (less than half of their goal of 1,000)—states that although they “do not wish to disregard all of Ms. Lagarde’s accomplishments” and they “recognize that she is just a good person working in a corrupt system” they do not want to “encourage the values and ideals that the IMF fosters.” As if Smith College has such influence that allowing Lagarde to address its graduating class will have some kind of measurable effect on how people think about the IMF.

On the petition page, a student is quoted as saying she is “utterly disgusted that Smith has chosen to host someone from the IMF, an organization that has proven itself to be nothing but imperialistic, ineffective, and oppressive.”

Because God forbid these delicate students should be exposed to an idea or an organization with which they disagree—at college.

Whether or not you think the IMF is destructive, Lagarde is a powerful woman who has probably managed to do more in her 58 years on the planet than many whole graduating classes accomplish in the entirety of their lives.

Earlier this month, former U.S. Secretary of State, Condoleezza Rice, pulled out of delivering a commencement speech for Rutgers University in New Jersey (for which she would have received $35,000 and an honorary degree), following protests from students and faculty, including a sit-in conducted by over 50 members of the student body, because of her role in advocating for the Iraq War.

Rice occupied one of the most important offices in the whole country. But you’re right, kids, she probably has nothing interesting to say or any good advice because she was involved in a senseless war.

Colin Powell (also: Iraq) is scheduled to deliver the commencement at High Point University. Sean Combs is going to address the graduating class at Howard University. I am personally offended by both of those people, but you know what? I bet they’ll both have something interesting to say—even if I don’t agree with every item on their CVs.

Millennials have grown up in a world where you are never forced to see, hear or read anything that you haven’t personally selected. 7,000 TV channels, a DVR to skip commercials, millions of websites—we have been able to curate our own little worlds using technology, wherein nothing unpleasant or offensive can creep in. So when we’re forced to sit through a commercial or, heaven forbid, listen to someone talk who isn’t Mary-freakin’-Poppins, we can’t handle it.

The entire point of college is to be exposed to different things: Different types of people, different ideas—and maybe some of those people will hail from organizations that negatively impacted poor countries, or maybe they were partly responsible for a war that ate up the country’s resources and resulted in human rights abuses and lots of needless death. But if, at the end of your time as an undergrad, you haven’t learned that oftentimes you find great wisdom in shitty people, or just that there might be some value in hearing what someone you don’t like or respect might have to say, what on earth have you learned?

Smith College President Kathleen McCartney, who is apparently the only sane person in the room at that institution. said in a statement that activists had their “desired effect, but at what cost to Smith College?

I want to underscore this fact: An invitation to speak at a commencement is not an endorsement of all views or policies of an individual or the institution she or he leads…I remain committed to leading a college where differing views can be heard and debated with respect.”

Young people are the worst.

Agree or disagree with her point?
tl;dr
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

disagree cause basic cable

I skim read it, seems like another 50+ rambling about the failings of today's youth. So no, I don't agree
yup

young libtards are annoying

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I'll substitute a long rant I have prepared on the topic by just saying; these kids are a bunch of pussies. Agree with the article absolutely.
tl;dr: at some schools students disagree with the views of their commencement speakers who happen to be women and protest/petition to stop them from being commencement speakers. The writer argues that this is because millennials don't like to hear opposing views and only want to see/hear what they like and agree with and this is due to the bolded stuff.
These guys are being dumb, but the article writer is being needlessly condescending. What if these guys are so offended by these people it's like inviting Hitler over to give a speech? I'd protest that shit **** Hitler.

Maybe I'm part of the problem.
Quote by Weaponized
These guys are being dumb, but the article writer is being needlessly condescending. What if these guys are so offended by these people it's like inviting Hitler over to give a speech? I'd protest that shit **** Hitler.

Well Hitler is one thing. But I don't think the two women she's talking about could be equated with anything remotely Hitleresque. Obviously if Bashar al Assad was invited to give a commencement speech there would be a legitimate reason for opposition.
Quote by Weaponized

Maybe I'm part of the problem.
From Condi to Hitler

That's a good book title.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by lolmnt
From Condi to Hitler

That's a good book title.

i will write this when i get my masters and get famous and go on the Colbert Report to talk about it oh wait
It's like that John Mayer song.

It's not that we don't care, we just know the fight ain't fair.

But I do agree, there are some stupid young people out there, just as many as old stupid people.
But if, at the end of your time as an undergrad, you haven’t learned that oftentimes you find great wisdom in shitty people, or just that there might be some value in hearing what someone you don’t like or respect might have to say, what on earth have you learned?

How to run for congress LOL
I think I agree with the general idea of the article. Most people, understandably, want to have their opinions and beliefs reaffirmed. However, I think it's important to expose oneself to varying viewpoints, especially when it's a topic or issue you feel passionate about. I know I'm just stating the obvious, but that kind of exposure leads to a better understanding of the topic as a whole.
Basically, every older generation hates/doesn't understand the one underneath it. The "greatest" generation didn't understand their freelove, rolling around in the mud baby boomer children. Those baby boomers grew up and didn't understand their mopey, dark generation x children. The Gen Xers are now grown and don't understand why Millennials are so lazy and entitled. Millennials will grow up and not understand why their children are _______. Once your generation becomes the elder generation, you're basically the same as the previous elder generations. And you stop being able to relate to and understand the younger ones. You become your parents, basically.

Time is a flat circle.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Rossenrot
Also, the article didn't even mention Ayaan Hirsi Ali and Brandeis University.

sounds muslim 2/10 would not listen
i am strongly on the side of the millenials.
i don't know why i feel so dry
The article makes a mistake when it claims the trend of silencing opposition is exclusive to millenials, however the point that opposition is being silenced by closet-bigots is absolutely spot on.
Quote by lolmnt
Basically, every older generation hates/doesn't understand the one underneath it. The "greatest" generation didn't understand their freelove, rolling around in the mud baby boomer children. Those baby boomers grew up and didn't understand their mopey, dark generation x children. The Gen Xers are now grown and don't understand why Millennials are so lazy and entitled. Millennials will grow up and not understand why their children are _______. Once your generation becomes the elder generation, you're basically the same as the previous elder generations. And you stop being able to relate to and understand the younger ones. You become your parents, basically.

Time is a flat circle.

yea this
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Dreadnought
lolmnt nailed it, the argument is nonsense

i contend he didn't nail it, he only stapled it. there is a gap between generations, yes, and anybody who feels like googling can find socrates complaing about it some odd years ago. but i do not believe that gap is always the same. i do not believe that difference between youth and elder is constant but a function of time, the integral being the function of time that indicates our culture. you'll probably find this agreeable but the following is worth discussing:

the gap between youth and elders is the greatest it has been in america since the civil war.

the rest of the essay is coming, i'm paying xioxia $130 a page to write it for me.
But we the current generation really are the best.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by steve_muse
But we the current generation really are the best.

ain't no country for old men
Quote by Xiaoxi
yup

young libtards are annoying

Yup this is pretty much it. I try to stay in the middle politically but the millennial stereotypes come from the young libtards. As annoying, and "do no wrong" holier than thou, the younger conservatives are, I find them slightly more bearable. All in all what they say about millennial's is becoming stereotypical, just like how the older generation complained about "hippy" baby boomers; it's a cycle.
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
This is the 2nd most curmudgeony thing I've read all week. The first was an op-ed letter in the paper about how women are showing too much cleavage.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Eastwinn

the gap between youth and elders is the greatest it has been in america since the civil war.

the rest of the essay is coming, i'm paying xioxia $130 a page to write it for me.

I chuckled.

This article is pretty stupid, but so are the students that didn't want the IMF chief to speak at their commencement. She's probably wicked smart and sick at life.
College is all about being introduced to ideas you may disagree with and using critical thought to evaluate such ideas. Clearly, some people don't get that idea.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
College is all about being introduced to ideas you may disagree with and using critical thought to evaluate such ideas. Clearly, some people don't get that idea.

is that really what uni is about sam? it might be what you and i want it to be about, but is that the reality?
Quote by Eastwinn
is that really what uni is about sam? it might be what you and i want it to be about, but is that the reality?

You have a point.

I should say university should be about that stuff. I'm sure most students would rather get their Cs and Ds, bury their heads in the sand every time they hear an idea they dislike, and carry on with their lives in a generally ignorant fashion.

/minirant
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
You have a point.

I should say university should be about that stuff. I'm sure most students would rather get their Cs and Ds, bury their heads in the sand every time they hear an idea they dislike, and carry on with their lives in a generally ignorant fashion.

/minirant

i'd hesitate to blame it on the students. everyone is born curious and argumentative. there's something that tries to steal that from us and i'm pointing my finger at education.
Quote by Eastwinn
i'd hesitate to blame it on the students. everyone is born curious and argumentative. there's something that tries to steal that from us and i'm pointing my finger at education.

I think it's more complex than just education as the problem. It contributes, but what all of it boils down to humans don't like hearing things they disagree with. And that's pretty dumb, when you think about it.
Even if you never agree with a certain philosophy/argument/topic, there's probably something useful to be learned from it. Everyone should embrace the idea of learning all they can. A lot of people don't want to keep learning. They want to feel like they have "learned enough", for some reason.
Quote by bradulator
tl;dr: at some schools students disagree with the views of their commencement speakers who happen to be women and protest/petition to stop them from being commencement speakers. The writer argues that this is because millennials don't like to hear opposing views and only want to see/hear what they like and agree with and this is due to the bolded stuff.

I agree with the sentiment about this generation but I doubt it's because of media platforms. The values they were raised with and society reaffirms probably have more influence.

EDIT:To be more clear, I agree with lolmnt's post. However I think silencing of opposition is an issue, but I believe it to be the result of wider values in society and not a problem exclusive to the current generation.
Last edited by seanlang01 at May 15, 2014,
it's prob just coz at uni you can't just twat your speakers in the mouth if they start getting cheeky and chatting shite so all you can do to tell them they're bell ends is whatever these lot are doing
Yeah, I think it's on a case-by-case basis, like I'm totally OK with no-platforming as a tactic in general, but blocking the head of the IMF or a former Secretary of State does seem daft. I wonder if part of it is the what the context of the speech is though. Like I'm not keen on when protest groups stop speakers at public lectures or events or whatever, because just like... don't go.

But the commencement address thing (don't have them over here) seems to be more legitimising? Like Condi would have been paid 35k and gotten an honorary degree, so there's more of an argument, I think, for not wanting that to happen than it just being a "wah I'm a millenial and can't handle disagreement" thing. Like if you think these people are war criminals then duh you don't want your university to be honouring them.
Yeah but if you think Condi is a war criminal, you're a bit of an idiot
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by lolmnt

Time is a flat circle.

Agreed, but I was born in '94 and I don't understand my generation. Perhaps because I never bothered to create my own little world since being able to live requires the outside world.

EDIT: oh, I agree with that article obvs.
Page 1 of 2