Okay, here's the run down. I have a Lawsuit Era Conrad LP by Aria. I had the idea to repaint and refinish the guitar, but had that plan squashed, by pre-existing damage. Now I have resorted to merely resealing the guitar. (Sanding off the varnish and redoing it, as there are some issues with it, that are detrimental to the 'health' of the guitar.) I have since had my eye out, and my ear to the ground, about other guitars. One's that I am looking to obtain, as it's in my opinion that they are quite beautiful. I am looking for some seasoned opinion(s), on the guitar's I have selected. I am looking to obtain an Aria Pro II CS-250, as the body style is quite appealing. I have found a couple, and am knowledged in the matter of what (roughly) makes a good guitar. But I would like to know, as they are a rather popular brand, though older. Do they make reliable and trustworthy guitars? As stated, my LP is an Aria model, but that's as far as my experience with them, goes. Second, I am looking to obtain an Austin AU-766, another LP copy (though this one has a pointed horn). I have researched, what I can, about the brand, but have come up with, few, leads. I have heard good things, about them. But, again, I am still an infant, when it comes to guitar knowledge. Third is the, Jay Turser LP copy (again with the sharp horn). I have had one local tech, speak ill of the brand, as if they were nothing more than a cheap 'magic' trick. While I understand that their production, distribution, or reputation, might not match other LP manufacturers. I have tested one at my local Guitar Center, and was reasonably impressed, with the guitars ability to adapt. I wish to know, is it worth picking one up as a cheap, 'project', guitar. Or would I be better off, bypassing it? Last is a rather new, and unknown brand, the 'MonoPrice' LP copy. It's cheap, looks pretty, and the reviews/rating's I've found for it, all point it out to be a guitar to pick up, if nothing more than to test your modification skills on. I've seen a youtube review of it, and it sounds surprisingly fair. Again, these would all be little more than additions to my collection, for sound, playability, aesthetics, and mere 'notches' in my totem pole. The Aria, are more serious matters, where as the other's are just curiosities. While none are, 'set in stone', over me getting them, they all stand an equal chance, for me to look into getting. If anyone could lend me their opinion. I would be very thankful. I am an apprentice, only wishing to hear the words of the seasoned.

Thank you.
I would recommend looking for an early 80s greco, burny or a tokai instead if you are looking for a les paul replica. The Aria Pro II CS-250 does not look like an LP to me.
Ugh. That was a pain to read. You need to organize stuff into paragraphs, man.

Anyway, I'd also recommend Tokai. I've never heard anything bad about the brand. They tend to be a solid option.
The Austins I have played were lousy, I was not impressed with the Jay Turser either. I'd look into older MIJ models as has been mentioned, Greco, Burny, Orville, Epiphone, Tokai... Etc.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Anyway, I'd also recommend Tokai. I've never heard anything bad about the brand. They tend to be a solid option.

Just be careful (this goes for most of the MIJ brands like Tokai)- they had (and still do) a range of models at various price points and it's not always easy to tell whether you're looking at a higher-end model or a cheaper one. Normally even the cheaper ones (at least with Tokai) are still pretty good, but you don't want to be paying a top of the range price for a bottom of the range model.

The waters are muddied further by the fact that Tokai (and again, also some of the other MIJs) have had a cheaper range for a while now which isn't made in Japan (Korea first, now China) and which isn't as good. And which a lot of sellers describe as being MIJ anyway. And again, unless you really know what to look for, it can be hard to tell them apart.

Don't get me wrong- I really like the MIJ stuff. Just you kind of need to be careful, unfortunately.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^
Yeah, good point. Do some basic research before you buy. Check the back of the headstock too; it should say "Made in (insert country here)".
Yeah. At least on the newer ones it normally does with the Gibson-style ones. With the Fender-style ones it's normally on the neck heel. But on the older ones I don't think it says (if you're looking second-hand).

The MIJ stuff is some of the best bang for the buck there is (at least it was until the pound/dollar/euro got weak and the yen strong... and also until people started realiing that the MIJ stuff was generally normally pretty good which also pushed up the prices ), but it's kind of a minefield as well if you don't know what to look for.

(That's not me being condescending- I only have a very basic idea of what to look for and if I were after something I'd be heading straight to the Tokai Registry Forum for some advice on whether a model was legit or not )

I suppose that goes for most sought-after guitar stuff, though- Fender and Gibson stuff can be fakes and/or it's hard to be sure what model you're looking at unless you're au fait with all their models, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes, there are non MIJ versions of Japanese brands that you should be aware of. A good rule of thumb is to check the shape of the truss rod cover and number of screws, as well as the headstock shape. Grecos have serial numbers that are easy to check: no serial are early 70s; letter prefix+2 digit year; or no letter with first digit year. Best to get the early 80s, although the greco mint collection with the concave trc are equally good.

Model numbers, if available, indicate the original price: eg700 is 70,000 yen. For guitars made on the same year, less wood used for the body means more expensive. For greco, fret nibs indicate a mid to higher model.
Last edited by royc at May 15, 2014,
-Broad reply-
I am not necessarily looking for an LP copy.
As for the 'build' of the first post, it's irrelevant if people want it to look like a term paper, for college.
I like the LP style, but am not a huge fan of the rounded cutaway horn, the sharp horn is more appealing to me. T
As for the Aria Pro II, i'm not getting it, because it looks like an LP, it's in there, I only want it for the STYLE of the body.
As for the Jay Turser, they have been hit and miss. Depending on where you buy it, really tells you the actual value, of the guitar. As stated, I demo'd one at guitar center, that actually played better, than others portrayed.
I don't particularly care if the, 'hardware', of the guitar is 'top of the line', I can upgrade it. What I have found with most of the guitars I owned, a guitar really hinges on the hardware it has, not what it's made from. (On electric guitar's, that is. If you disagree, that's your thing, leave your protests at the door.)
To bring it all around, I'm not looking at the guitars, simply to be a filler as a, 'look alike'. I get them for the look of the guitar/the playability/the reliability/the ability for the guitar to flex into any genre. I do not want a 'look alike'. I want WHAT I like. Tokai's are good, but not in the price range, I'm at. The Austin's have a poor review, because most people playing them, expect them to be a 'carbon copy' of a Les Paul. There are varying degree's of 'copies'. I have played several late Chinese Lawsuit Era copies, that were crap. Then I found my Conrad, in which it actually played, to a rather close equivalency to an older Gibson. (Though it was far cheaper) The Aria Pro II is simply the body style. Close to a 'Viper' body style. The LP copy's are simply LP Copy's to replace my Conrad, as she is getting close to being retired. I have a constraint on finances, for the moment. Nor do I want to shell out a fortune for an axe, that I'll have to throw out the coin to upgrade it. I'm looking for a decent, (moderately) cheap, guitar, that will perform how I want. If anyone is getting their knickers in a twist, about that. The genre's I play are; Rock, Hard Rock, Post Hardcore, Pop, Punk, Alternative Rock, and Metal. But I like to play some cleaner 'Pop'/'Jazz'/'Alternative', genres for warm ups, or practice. I'm really looking for a guitar that I like, aesthetically. I am not ignoring those who elaborated on my initial question. But it is very hard for me to focus. So do not take my reply as though I am ignoring anyone, nor am I jabbing at anyone. Just keeping my mind where I mean for it, to be. Thank you, to anyone who offered any opinion. I do mean that. But I merely choose the guitars for their looks. (Apart from the LP copies. As far as those go, I am only looking for an LP that has a sharp horn. If need be, I will strip it down, and repaint it.)
Quote by Dave_Mc
Yeah. At least on the newer ones it normally does with the Gibson-style ones. With the Fender-style ones it's normally on the neck heel. But on the older ones I don't think it says (if you're looking second-hand).

The MIJ stuff is some of the best bang for the buck there is (at least it was until the pound/dollar/euro got weak and the yen strong... and also until people started realiing that the MIJ stuff was generally normally pretty good which also pushed up the prices ), but it's kind of a minefield as well if you don't know what to look for.

(That's not me being condescending- I only have a very basic idea of what to look for and if I were after something I'd be heading straight to the Tokai Registry Forum for some advice on whether a model was legit or not )

I suppose that goes for most sought-after guitar stuff, though- Fender and Gibson stuff can be fakes and/or it's hard to be sure what model you're looking at unless you're au fait with all their models, too.

I HAVE found a few 'details' about the LSE guitars that everyone seems to be giving me contradicting opinions on. Like my Conrad, I was VERY pressured, to not buy it, as they were, and I quote, 'piece of sh*t guitars, that only LOOK like Gibson's.' That couldn't have been more untrue. My Conrad feels EXACTLY the same as many Gibson LP's that I had played at various musical instrument retailers. (Both new, and pre-owned) Still plays the same, though is showing its age. I am looking for an LP copy that has a sharp horn. As I have played the, (Believe they were ESP's) before and found they were more comfortable, than the round horns. (Again, I'm not meaning this as being 'true' or backed by fact. Just my opinion) I also like the look of a sharp horn, better. But I like the control of the dual volume and tone knobs, rather than the three, that other brands have. The Pro II, is how it looks. I like the body style, and am not quite caring if I have to upgrade it. Just rather that I find one with the four pots, rather than the two. Plus I am looking for dual hum's, rather than the single 'JR' setup. Since having my Conrad, I have been trying to do my research, but I have had troubles finding information that is reliable. So far the only, 'Aria', I've been able to find is the, 'Aria' gaming company. All I know is they used to make LP copy's, and were rather successful in their sales/production. As they actually made guitars, close to, if not exceeding, the quality of their Gibson counterparts. The one thing that draws me to Lawsuit Era, guitars is their history and story. I'm not writing off any other manufacturers. I just want the body style/set up, of the one's I listed. If you can give me some resources, as to finding some reliable, and true, information. I would be very appreciative.
^ I wasn't saying not to get an Aria. Just crazysam23_Atax brought up Tokai, and I thought I'd add some info. I haven't tried any Arias, but as far as I'm aware the Japanese-made ones have a good rep.

Quote by royc
Yes, there are non MIJ versions of Japanese brands that you should be aware of. A good rule of thumb is to check the shape of the truss rod cover and number of screws, as well as the headstock shape. Grecos have serial numbers that are easy to check: no serial are early 70s; letter prefix+2 digit year; or no letter with first digit year. Best to get the early 80s, although the greco mint collection with the concave trc are equally good.

Model numbers, if available, indicate the original price: eg700 is 70,000 yen. For guitars made on the same year, less wood used for the body means more expensive. For greco, fret nibs indicate a mid to higher model.

Yeah. Normally the japanese stuff (at least for tokai) has 2 screws while the non-MIJ is 3 screws.

Now, like with anything- if someone is really trying to scam you, that's not foolproof, you could replace the TR cover. But if someone selling doesn't know for sure, or is a pretty rubbish scammer, it'll help. 2-screw doesn't prove for sure it is MIJ- but 3-screw probably proves it's not MIJ.

Good point about the model numbers. Captain Obvious to the rescue, but that means that, because of inflation, a lower number model from years ago can be a better model than a higher number one from today.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 16, 2014,
I wouldn't push the LSE guitars, so hard, if there were more choices for the set up I want the guitar to have. I have been doing research into the 'name' brands, for today. And the Ibanez ARZ model has the horn, but lacks the pot arrangement, I want. I like being able to switch pickups without having to dial in the sound I want. There was a video on YouTube, and the guy was showing how to properly, 'adjust' your pickups. He had a LP copy that had the sharp horn. (Though it was rather long, not a write off, though) But you never see the headstock. I would comment, but I don't think it's checked very often, anymore. Could be wrong, and I'll give it a try. (Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXIggQxlAhc ) I'm not sure what the make of it, is. But I like it. Same skin as my Conrad. Multi-Binding, black, with two chrome hum's. It's actually about how I would want it. If anyone happens to know, shoot me some info, if you would, please. Or any other similar guitar. (Within a reasonable price range) If you wondering my finances, they're EXTREMELY low, at the moment. For comparison, I bought my Conrad at a guitar shop in Paris, Texas, for a reasonable price. (Less than $150.00 with a discount for selling my Epi LP Studio II).
As for the, 'Aria', thing. I have had exceptionally great interactions with the brand. None have, 'let me down', so to speak. And I love the body style of the Aria Pro II CS-250. The fact that most of the one's I've found come in a natural wood finish, is just a bonus. It actually looks good, for the body style.
Sorry, I was misled into thinking that you are looking for a les paul replica when you mentioned you have a lawsuit era guitar. Kindly disregard my comments.
As for the 'build' of the first post, it's irrelevant if people want it to look like a term paper, for college.

Actually, it does matter: organizing your thoughts by using paragraphs, etc. makes it easier on the eyes and minds of the people you're seeking advice from. The "wall of text" reduces the amount of responses you'll get.

It may also antagonize some enough that their answers may be...terse.

Just some friendly advice.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by royc
Sorry, I was misled into thinking that you are looking for a les paul replica when you mentioned you have a lawsuit era guitar. Kindly disregard my comments.

No hate, bro. I 'half way' am... Just not the main point of interest.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Actually, it does matter: organizing your thoughts by using paragraphs, etc. makes it easier on the eyes and minds of the people you're seeking advice from. The "wall of text" reduces the amount of responses you'll get.

As this is a 'general populace' website, the necessity to organize posts into literal, coherent, structures that mirror formal documents, is redundant. Especially when the point of the post is to offer as much information as is pertinent to the subject. My only goal was to provide as much information as I needed, without adhering to any grammatical rules/standards. My only goal was to provide detailed information in a quick and ready format... My goal, accomplished. I can provide the information, but it's up to the readers to interpret, and use, the information. In this scenario, it's not mandatory that the text have structure, or order. While the argument for the need of grammatical structure, can be made. The argument lacks weight, when the goal I was aiming for, is achieved. I do admit that it could have had a bit more forethought. But it served its purpose, and is done. I will give my text proper structure, in further posts.
Quote by NexAtrum
-Broad reply-
I am not necessarily looking for an LP copy.
I like the LP style, but am not a huge fan of the rounded cutaway horn, the sharp horn is more appealing to me. T
As for the Aria Pro II, i'm not getting it, because it looks like an LP, it's in there, I only want it for the STYLE of the body.
As for the Jay Turser, they have been hit and miss. Depending on where you buy it, really tells you the actual value, of the guitar. As stated, I demo'd one at guitar center, that actually played better, than others portrayed.
I don't particularly care if the, 'hardware', of the guitar is 'top of the line', I can upgrade it. What I have found with most of the guitars I owned, a guitar really hinges on the hardware it has, not what it's made from. (On electric guitar's, that is. If you disagree, that's your thing, leave your protests at the door.)
To bring it all around, I'm not looking at the guitars, simply to be a filler as a, 'look alike'. I get them for the look of the guitar/the playability/the reliability/the ability for the guitar to flex into any genre. I do not want a 'look alike'. I want WHAT I like. Tokai's are good, but not in the price range, I'm at. The Austin's have a poor review, because most people playing them, expect them to be a 'carbon copy' of a Les Paul. There are varying degree's of 'copies'. I have played several late Chinese Lawsuit Era copies, that were crap. Then I found my Conrad, in which it actually played, to a rather close equivalency to an older Gibson. (Though it was far cheaper) The Aria Pro II is simply the body style. Close to a 'Viper' body style. The LP copy's are simply LP Copy's to replace my Conrad, as she is getting close to being retired. I have a constraint on finances, for the moment. Nor do I want to shell out a fortune for an axe, that I'll have to throw out the coin to upgrade it. I'm looking for a decent, (moderately) cheap, guitar, that will perform how I want. If anyone is getting their knickers in a twist, about that. The genre's I play are; Rock, Hard Rock, Post Hardcore, Pop, Punk, Alternative Rock, and Metal. But I like to play some cleaner 'Pop'/'Jazz'/'Alternative', genres for warm ups, or practice. I'm really looking for a guitar that I like, aesthetically. I am not ignoring those who elaborated on my initial question. But it is very hard for me to focus. So do not take my reply as though I am ignoring anyone, nor am I jabbing at anyone. Just keeping my mind where I mean for it, to be. Thank you, to anyone who offered any opinion. I do mean that. But I merely choose the guitars for their looks. (Apart from the LP copies. As far as those go, I am only looking for an LP that has a sharp horn. If need be, I will strip it down, and repaint it.)

goddamn ever pressed the "enter" button?

people like thoughts organized. its easier to read and process information.

i am not taking the time to bother reading it. if you edit with some paragraphs, i would be happy to help.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
First, I wouldn't buy most bargain guitars that retail under $500: they're usually either poorly made or are made with sweatshop labor.

Second, here are some guitars you might like, new and used:

Ibanez AR series
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_eg_series_pre.php?year=2014&cat_id=1&series_id=6

Reverend Daredevil
http://elderly.com/vintage/items/30U-17637.htm

Reverend Manta Ray
https://reverb.com/item/29671-reverend-manta-ray-290-2009-wine-red
https://reverb.com/item/33580-reverend-manta-ray-hb-gloss-black
https://reverb.com/item/125165-reverend-manta-ray-hb-black
https://reverb.com/item/45232-reverend-manta-ray-hb-black-free-shipping
https://reverb.com/item/67705-reverend-manta-ray-290-new-tobacco-burst

Reverend Sensei models
https://reverb.com/item/95045-reverend-goldtop-sensei-hb-2013-gold
https://reverb.com/item/45229-reverend-sensei-ra-fm-satin-violin-burst-flame-maple-free-shipping
https://reverb.com/item/137180-reverend-set-neck-sensei-ra-satin-silver-burst-w-hardshell-case
https://reverb.com/item/73563-reverend-sensei-hb-fm-flame-maple-faded-burst
https://reverb.com/item/79682-reverend-sensei-ra-electric-guitar-in-satin-silver-burst
https://reverb.com/item/100847-reverend-sensei-rt-blue-metal-flake-w-bigsby
https://reverb.com/item/29283-reverend-sensei-rt-silver-metal-flake

Reverend Tricky Gomez
https://reverb.com/item/113352-reverend-tricky-gomez-limited-edition-11-of-13-2013-gold-metal-flake
https://reverb.com/item/137185-reverend-set-neck-tricky-gomez-satin-3-tone-burst-w-hardshell-case
https://reverb.com/item/73262-reverend-tricky-gomez-le-3-of-13-worldwide-red-metal-flake
https://reverb.com/item/137195-reverend-set-neck-tricky-gomez-satin-alpine-green
https://reverb.com/item/83704-reverend-tricky-gomez-le-2013-green-sparkle-7-of-13-worldwide
https://reverb.com/item/137186-reverend-set-neck-tricky-gomez-satin-redburst-w-hardshell-case
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

FYI: i bought a tele from reverb just a few weeks ago, and they were great. the whole way. it shipped the same morning and i had it in two days (somewhere in the mid west i think to me in FL) well packaged and as described. good dealer of gear you don't see everywhere or anywhere.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by dannyalcatraz

My only goal was to provide as much information as I needed, without adhering to any grammatical rules/standards. My only goal was to provide detailed information in a quick and ready format... My goal, accomplished. I can provide the information, but it's up to the readers to interpret, and use, the information. In this scenario, it's not mandatory that the text have structure, or order. While the argument for the need of grammatical structure, can be made. The argument lacks weight, when the goal I was aiming for, is achieved.

Your goal was not to "provide information", it was to communicate with UGers in the hope of getting useful information in return.

And the proof of my assertion is below:

Quote by trashedlostfdup
goddamn ever pressed the "enter" button?

people like thoughts organized. its easier to read and process information.

i am not taking the time to bother reading it. if you edit with some paragraphs, i would be happy to help.

I've seen pix of this guy's gear and read a lot of his posts. He could have helped you, but found your formatting off-putting enough that he chose not to. He chose to tell you why- how many have looked in this thread and decided likewise without saying why?

Yeah. I see a big post like that and my eyes glaze over (yeah I'm a hypocrite because my posts are normally pretty long too ). I move onto the next thread which is easier to read- there are tons of new threads every day and it takes a fair while to check them all. If it makes it too difficult for me I just don't bother.

As danny says, it's not about being the grammar police or trying to annoy you or anything like that, it's just about telling you the way it is- the easier you make it for people to help you, the more (and better) help you'll get. Even people who do bother to reply might skim your massive post and get the wrong end of the stick, or miss something important you wrote, etc. etc.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Your goal was not to "provide information", it was to communicate with UGers in the hope of getting useful information in return.

And the proof of my assertion is below:

I've seen pix of this guy's gear and read a lot of his posts. He could have helped you, but found your formatting off-putting enough that he chose not to. He chose to tell you why- how many have looked in this thread and decided likewise without saying why?

We're going long on this, but my goal WAS to provide a great deal of information. Excuse me for saying, but you're stepping out of bounds, with your assumption of what I had intended with the post. Again, I ONLY WAS LOOKING TO PROVIDE INFORMATION ABOUT MY INQUIRY!!! It's irrelevant to me, if people do not like it. I am not out to cater to those, too lazy, or 'self righteous', enough to read. It's a simple matter. Take a second, and read. Hitting on formatting and structure shows how simple and shallow, your respect for the english language is. Again, I am not looking to appease those who want to tag something as trivial as formatting. I DO NOT CARE WHAT OTHER PEOPLE WANT! May sound rude, but it's the truth. I learned in college that formatting isn't a necessity. SPELLING, isn't even necessary. The human brain, does not care. Yes, having structure helps to organize thoughts, and idea's. But that is not my intended desire. For the THIRD time, I am only seeking to provide as much information, I can. In as LITTLE time/space, as possible. It would take away from my focus and goal to provide accurate information, if I'm worrying about things that your grade school 'Grammar' teacher, would huff and puff, about. Whether anyone wants to take the time to read, or not. Is not my concern. If they don't want to read, because of how I wrote something, then I don't want to waste time listening to them. I do not 'hurt' over lost input. I work in computers, there's alternatives... System of 'redundancy'. If you use a PC, you should be quite familiar with it. The system of adding 'back ups', be they redundant, or needed, they're there. Where this one, may not provide (and I am very grateful, and thankful for those that offer their help), there are others, in place, that will. Now, I will drop this matter, and cease to reference, or acknowledge, any more posts raging on my grammatical prowess.

Thank you.
I couldn't give two craps about your grammar, but you have several of the regulars in this forum (i.e. the people who help threadstarters day-in, day-out with their questions) saying they can't be bothered helping if it's too hard to read.

Maybe you are weeding out those who are lazy, and maybe it is a decent proxy for weeding out those who won't give good help anyway.

On the other hand, as I said, regulars (i.e. those known to help, and to help well) have said they won't bother, so I'm not sure how good a system you're actually running there.

You're sort of biting off your nose to spite your face.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

Excuse me for saying, but you're stepping out of bounds, with your assumption of what I had intended with the post.

I'm pretty sure you actually wanted feedback from others. You wouldn't have posted otherwise. By posting in a way that actually prevents you from getting said feedback, you shoot yourself in the foot.

Your wall of text with poor formatting and punctuation is as effective a bar to communication as if you had Geschrieben am diesem vor allem englischsprachige Website auf Deutsch.

Communication is a 2 way street, and like a good little Boy Scout, I was helping you get what you wanted from the UG community at large.

But I can see you're like a certain buddy of mine: I did some copy editing on his résumé for him, correcting grammatical and spelling errors. He undid all of my corrections and submitted it in its original form.

Pretty sure it was one reason he couldn't find anything but menial jobs for 3 years...

I learned in college that formatting isn't a necessity. SPELLING, isn't even necessary. The human brain, does not care.

Technically speaking, you are correct in that the human brain can decipher all kinds of spelling, punctuation and grammatical variances.

The thing is, each variance is a speedbump, and the more of those you throw in the path of your readers, the less likely it is you will communicate effectively.

When I was getting my second graduate degree, I was in a school with nearly 40% international, ESL students. On group projects, I always volunteered to be the final copy editor. That way, I ensured the project communicated its data coherently and understandably.

Because- and this is key- while many ESL students were effective communicators VERBALLY, their grasp of English grammar was highly variable, because each language has its own unique structures. The way a German writes English is different from someone who is Brazilian, Spanish, Taiwanese, or Japanese...as I found out on one project in which I was the only native English speaker.

It is one thing to talk to someone, what with all the opportunities for immediate clarification as well as tone and body language to provide context. But when you have only the written word, though?

For the THIRD time, I am only seeking to provide as much information, I can. In as LITTLE time/space, as possible.

Dude, if this were true, you'd use about 90% fewer commas. That would save you keystrokes, and thus, time/space.

I work in computers,

SURPRISE!

(No...not really.)

It's also not an excuse. Any programming language has its own "grammar"- sprinkle in extraneous characters- ,$*#, etc.- any your program won't work properly.

Now, I will drop this matter, and cease to reference, or acknowledge, any more posts raging on my grammatical prowess.

Happy travails, podner!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 19, 2014,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
First, I wouldn't buy most bargain guitars that retail under $500: they're usually either poorly made or are made with sweatshop labor.

Second, here are some guitars you might like, new and used:

Ibanez AR series
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_eg_series_pre.php?year=2014&cat_id=1&series_id=6

Reverend Daredevil
http://elderly.com/vintage/items/30U-17637.htm

Reverend Manta Ray
https://reverb.com/item/29671-reverend-manta-ray-290-2009-wine-red
https://reverb.com/item/33580-reverend-manta-ray-hb-gloss-black
https://reverb.com/item/125165-reverend-manta-ray-hb-black
https://reverb.com/item/45232-reverend-manta-ray-hb-black-free-shipping
https://reverb.com/item/67705-reverend-manta-ray-290-new-tobacco-burst

Reverend Sensei models
https://reverb.com/item/95045-reverend-goldtop-sensei-hb-2013-gold
https://reverb.com/item/45229-reverend-sensei-ra-fm-satin-violin-burst-flame-maple-free-shipping
https://reverb.com/item/137180-reverend-set-neck-sensei-ra-satin-silver-burst-w-hardshell-case
https://reverb.com/item/73563-reverend-sensei-hb-fm-flame-maple-faded-burst
https://reverb.com/item/79682-reverend-sensei-ra-electric-guitar-in-satin-silver-burst
https://reverb.com/item/100847-reverend-sensei-rt-blue-metal-flake-w-bigsby
https://reverb.com/item/29283-reverend-sensei-rt-silver-metal-flake

Reverend Tricky Gomez
https://reverb.com/item/113352-reverend-tricky-gomez-limited-edition-11-of-13-2013-gold-metal-flake
https://reverb.com/item/137185-reverend-set-neck-tricky-gomez-satin-3-tone-burst-w-hardshell-case
https://reverb.com/item/73262-reverend-tricky-gomez-le-3-of-13-worldwide-red-metal-flake
https://reverb.com/item/137195-reverend-set-neck-tricky-gomez-satin-alpine-green
https://reverb.com/item/83704-reverend-tricky-gomez-le-2013-green-sparkle-7-of-13-worldwide
https://reverb.com/item/137186-reverend-set-neck-tricky-gomez-satin-redburst-w-hardshell-case

This is a very extensive list. May I ask, if you've had any experience 'demo'ing' these, or know, from reliable sources, on how they play/sound? Also, on that note, do you know if they would be 'easy' or 'ready' to upgrade? (In terms of hardware)
>.<

OSH MAI GOSH!
I will not reiterate myself.

Anyone who does not like my style, there is nothing keeping you here. Pack it up, move on.

To the sarcastic remark at my field of study, it's not needed. Take your immature jabs, and find someone else. I've no time, nor do I hold any desire, to deal with the petty and useless squabble of the over-specific individuals.

To anyone, and everyone, else. Thank you, for any information you impart.

If anyone wants to throw any other 'comments' my way, about anything apart from guitars. Save time, and face, and don't bother.

Again, for the FINAL time, I only seek to provide as much pertinent information, as possible, without care for grammatical rules. The point was to provide information as to the subject of my question.

If we want a, 'summary' of my words... Here it is.

I am looking for several electric guitars, to fit my need. I play; post-hardcore, rock, metal, pop, punk, alternative, hardcore, and some soft-rock. I am looking for an LP (copy or not) with all four pots, a three-way selector switch, two hum's (or mini-hum's/P90's). The requisite for the LP is a sharp cutaway horn, and binding. (Multi-binding or single. Preferably multi).

The other guitar I'm looking at, is the Aria Pro II CS-250 (or a guitar with matching body design). Dual hum's and four pots, with three-way selector switch (I have seen some with kill switches, and some without. I'm impartial) Finish, on this particular guitar, is irrelevant, and not specific (though I have found one with a natural 'stained' redwood finish that is to my liking).

Third is the Ibanez AR series, guitars (the over-sized SG body, is what I've found to describe them). Finish isn't specific (though tobacco sunburst or sapphire blue, is favored). Setup is the same as previous guitars.

Lastly, any recommendation for a specific guitar/brand/setup, to match my tonal desire, would be welcomed, and appreciated. Though I have been playing, recreationally, I do not have a veteran knowledge on guitars/guitar related items.

To specify my sound, I'm currently running through a Yamaha THR-10, paired with a Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal. My EQ is not readily available, though I can fetch it, if need be (It will take some time to get).

That's about all I can think of.

Cheer's!
Quote by NexAtrum
>.<

OSH MAI GOSH!
I will not reiterate myself.

Anyone who does not like my style, there is nothing keeping you here. Pack it up, move on.

To the sarcastic remark at my field of study, it's not needed. Take your immature jabs, and find someone else. I've no time, nor do I hold any desire, to deal with the petty and useless squabble of the over-specific individuals.

To anyone, and everyone, else. Thank you, for any information you impart.

If anyone wants to throw any other 'comments' my way, about anything apart from guitars. Save time, and face, and don't bother.

Again, for the FINAL time, I only seek to provide as much pertinent information, as possible, without care for grammatical rules. The point was to provide information as to the subject of my question.

If we want a, 'summary' of my words... Here it is.

I am looking for several electric guitars, to fit my need. I play; post-hardcore, rock, metal, pop, punk, alternative, hardcore, and some soft-rock. I am looking for an LP (copy or not) with all four pots, a three-way selector switch, two hum's (or mini-hum's/P90's). The requisite for the LP is a sharp cutaway horn, and binding. (Multi-binding or single. Preferably multi).

The other guitar I'm looking at, is the Aria Pro II CS-250 (or a guitar with matching body design). Dual hum's and four pots, with three-way selector switch (I have seen some with kill switches, and some without. I'm impartial) Finish, on this particular guitar, is irrelevant, and not specific (though I have found one with a natural 'stained' redwood finish that is to my liking).

Third is the Ibanez AR series, guitars (the over-sized SG body, is what I've found to describe them). Finish isn't specific (though tobacco sunburst or sapphire blue, is favored). Setup is the same as previous guitars.

Lastly, any recommendation for a specific guitar/brand/setup, to match my tonal desire, would be welcomed, and appreciated. Though I have been playing, recreationally, I do not have a veteran knowledge on guitars/guitar related items.

To specify my sound, I'm currently running through a Yamaha THR-10, paired with a Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal. My EQ is not readily available, though I can fetch it, if need be (It will take some time to get).

That's about all I can think of.

Cheer's!

I understand that time and trouble would have been saved, if I would have posted like that, from the start. But again... My immediate goal was NOT, to provide information in a structured format. Just to provide the total amount of information, I could think of, at the time. So, there it is.
Quote by NexAtrum
This is a very extensive list. May I ask, if you've had any experience 'demo'ing' these, or know, from reliable sources, on how they play/sound? Also, on that note, do you know if they would be 'easy' or 'ready' to upgrade? (In terms of hardware)

this is ridiculous and insulting. Danny took HIS time to copy over a dozen links to good musical instruments from a reputable site. i know that over time he has owned some of them. played some of them. Danny knows his shit you clearly don't

"OSH MAI GOSH!
I will not reiterate myself." as you stated.

really just **** off, and YOU stop positing
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Lost my Internet connection for a while, so:

I haven't tried the Ibanez, but it is on my list of guitars to look out for.

I've tried several Reverends and own 3. Of those, the Manta Ray 290 and 390 are on my G.A.S. list, as is (probably) one of the Senseis. I don't care for the Tricky Gomez ONLY because I prefer a 3+3 headstock on a guitar like that...such as is found in the Manta Ray. The Daredevil is discontinued, but still floating around on the used market. Other UGers who have owned them compare them as being roughly equivalent in feel and tone to the SGs they resemble.

The Sensei replaced the Daredevil, and is said to be better balanced- meaning it doesn't have the neck dive issue to the same extent as the SG and Daredevil.

Reverends are unusual: as a cost-controlling design decision, their necks are virtually identical on all models, differing only in scale length. Feel, though, is unchanged. So pretty much, if you've tried one, you know what they all feel like for your fretting hand.

Also, all Reverends are made with korina, so once you experience that, you have a grasp on how the whole product line resonates and feels on your body.

And, in closing, G.I.G.O.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 19, 2014,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
this is ridiculous and insulting. Danny took HIS time to copy over a dozen links to good musical instruments from a reputable site. i know that over time he has owned some of them. played some of them. Danny knows his shit you clearly don't

"OSH MAI GOSH!
I will not reiterate myself." as you stated.

really just **** off, and YOU stop positing

Okay, what part of, 'it's done' do you not get? I was not shooting at ANYTHING, but as I DON'T know much about guitars, OR any avenue of buying them. I'm GOING to question it. You need to take a minute, and calm down. You're now blowing up, over nothing. So I would kindly ask you to either; a. shut up, or b. leave this thread.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Lost my Internet connection for a while, so:

I haven't tried the Ibanez, but it is on my list of guitars to look out for.

I've tried several Reverends and own 3. Of those, the Manta Ray 290 and 390 are on my G.A.S. list, as is (probably) one of the Senseis. I don't care for the Tricky Gomez ONLY because I prefer a 3+3 headstock on a guitar like that...such as is found in the Manta Ray. The Daredevil is discontinued, but still floating around on the used market. Other UGers who have owned them compare them as being roughly equivalent in feel and tone to the SGs they resemble.

The Sensei replaced the Daredevil, and is said to be better balanced- meaning it doesn't have the neck dive issue to the same extent as the SG and Daredevil.

Reverends are unusual: as a cost-controlling design decision, their necks are virtually identical on all models, differing only in scale length. Feel, though, is unchanged. So pretty much, if you've tried one, you know what they all feel like for your fretting hand.

Also, all Reverends are made with korina, so once you experience that, you have a grasp on how the whole product line resonates and feels on your body.

And, in closing, G.I.G.O.

Okay... >.> the technical jargon, is a bit over my head. But I think I understand the gist. Question, on my part. By your personal reference, which would you recommend to someone who isn't very 'fast' or 'accurate', with their fret hand? Case being, I have a disability, 'left side partial paralysis', and is the predominant factor in choosing a guitar. I got my Conrad, as it has a smooth and quick, play. But, when it has the proper setup, allows for very low action, without buzz. I had a Washburn RX-Series with a replaced neck from its counterpart, the 'X-Series'.

The frets were good for a beginner, (which I was) and worked fine. But after the onset of my disability, I found it hard to depress the strings, enough to get the note. After the onset, it would ghost note, with a buzz as it quickly died. I am to understand that string gauge and action play a role in it, but I don't have the skill, experience, or knowledge, to properly set up the guitar without taking it to a tech. In my hunt for a replacement guitar(s), I have happened across some, 'kit' guitars. The manufacturer I found for them, seems to be good, as many people I have questioned about them all agree that they have good value. (I asked my 'go-to' guitar tech, and some associates at GC, one of them being the regional manager) While I only found the kits rather late, in my guitar life. I like them, as I am a hands on person.

I like the idea of building (or at least assembling) the guitar, myself. I understand the risk of an error would be rather crippling, but I would like to do it, just to gain some experience/knowledge on the subject. So I ask, would this be another viable alternative for my LP guitar? While I can't find one with the sharp horn, I fancy. They still look good. As one of the LP kits I found has a flame maple top, with multi-binding from body, to neck, to headstock. The kit guitar, though, is actually a 'side project'. And is not intended to be my next guitar. Merely as an entertaining project.
Quote by NexAtrum
Okay... >.> the technical jargon, is a bit over my head. But I think I understand the gist. Question, on my part. By your personal reference, which would you recommend to someone who isn't very 'fast' or 'accurate', with their fret hand? Case being, I have a disability, 'left side partial paralysis', and is the predominant factor in choosing a guitar. I got my Conrad, as it has a smooth and quick, play. But, when it has the proper setup, allows for very low action, without buzz. I had a Washburn RX-Series with a replaced neck from its counterpart, the 'X-Series'.

The frets were good for a beginner, (which I was) and worked fine. But after the onset of my disability, I found it hard to depress the strings, enough to get the note. After the onset, it would ghost note, with a buzz as it quickly died. I am to understand that string gauge and action play a role in it, but I don't have the skill, experience, or knowledge, to properly set up the guitar without taking it to a tech. In my hunt for a replacement guitar(s), I have happened across some, 'kit' guitars. The manufacturer I found for them, seems to be good, as many people I have questioned about them all agree that they have good value. (I asked my 'go-to' guitar tech, and some associates at GC, one of them being the regional manager) While I only found the kits rather late, in my guitar life. I like them, as I am a hands on person.

I like the idea of building (or at least assembling) the guitar, myself. I understand the risk of an error would be rather crippling, but I would like to do it, just to gain some experience/knowledge on the subject. So I ask, would this be another viable alternative for my LP guitar? While I can't find one with the sharp horn, I fancy. They still look good. As one of the LP kits I found has a flame maple top, with multi-binding from body, to neck, to headstock. The kit guitar, though, is actually a 'side project'. And is not intended to be my next guitar. Merely as an entertaining project.

And to hit on your suggestion for guitars;
I LOVE the Ibanez AR... everything about it, really. But am having some trouble hunting one down, within my price range.

As do I like the 'Daredevil', though I would probably strip it down and replace the color. Can't do red, too much. (There's a reason for it, pertaining to my disability)

I like the Manta Ray's body. I am unsure about the 'semi-hollow' body. I do not know what it does, or how it affects the sound.

The Reverend Sensei, I like. Looks like a 'Viper' without the bevel. I haven't demo'ed the Viper, yet. As GC was waiting on a shipment, after the 'christmas blowout', and were out of stock. Though I hear their tone, play, and feel, are all good. I DID try an SG, though. I liked it, but again, price was an issue. I know Epiphone does a great SG, but that has also been rather hard to find, in my area.

I like all the guitars, but it boils down to the 'play' of the guitars. If there are any other brands/models, that closely match the one's you listed, I would be more than glad, to go give them a test run. But my question, stays the same. Are they smooth players? Not demanding you answer that, just a statement.
Here are the kits I've found, that I am looking into purchasing;

1. http://www.dhgate.com/product/dhgate/144286252.html?utm_source=pla&utm_medium=GMC&utm_campaign=guitarsir58&utm_term=144286252&f=bm%7c144286252%7c113003-Guitar%7cGMC%7cAdwords%7cpla%7cguitarsir58%7cUS%7c113003009-ElectricGuitars%7cc%7cOSHNBM%7c&gclid=CIKFy4jxt7kCFaU5Qgod7WgAuQ

2.http://www.aliexpress.com/item/7-String-SG-Body-Style-DIY-Unfinished-Project-Luthier-Electric-Guitar-Kit/1626389886.html

#1. Is my LP style 'project' guitar.
#2. Is my SG style guitar I would like. It has the double cutaway horn, that I like, but has a symmetrical body, rather than an oblong'd one, like the Viper.

The LP is planned to be a transparent wine red, with the accent of the flame maple being a darker red. (Haven't worked out how to do that, yet. Saw some vid's on youtube, but am lacking on my painting/dying skills.) And the SG is planned to either be emerald green with a 'burst' finish of white, or sapphire blue, with the same effect. Again, these are just curiosities to entertain me, more than 'serious' efforts. I'm having trouble finding out how to paint the LP body with the multi-binding, though. I know you need to mask it, but have been unable to find out what to mask with (i.e. tape, solvents, sealers, etc.) and where to mask at.
Some of your concerns, in no particular order:

1) I'm no shredder, but it isn't about skinny or fat necks: the real secret shredding is finding a neck that you find comfy. That lets you be relaxed, maximizing your ability to play. I have a bunch of guitars with all kinds of necks. Reverend necks are a medium C shape, kind of a "Goldilox" neck, as far as I'm concerned- not particularly fat, not super skinny. Most people I know of who have tried a Reverend either like the necks, or at least don't hate them.

Overall, I consider Reverends to be among the best made & comfortable mid-priced ($700-1500) guitars out there. Their quality control is as good as any brand I can think of, VERY consistent guitar to guitar, over a pretty good amount of time. One of my Reverends was a used Roundhouse (discontinued LP-style) from 200 bought on eBay. It feels like my other two.

2) Semihollow (and fully hollow) guitars are a little lighter than their solidbody counterparts because That can be nice if you have back issues. It can also increase resonance. However, less mass can result in less natural sustain and increased feedback when playing at volume.

3) a proper setup should be able to alleviate- but probably won't eliminate- the issues your disability causes with fretting. I know a bunch of military vets use guitars as part of music therapy for all kinds of things, especially PTSD. (See Guitars For Vets.) And those guys have different levels of physical abilities, and have to get their guitars set up all kinds of ways. That's the kind of thing pro guitar techs do.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Some of your concerns, in no particular order:

1) I'm no shredder, but it isn't about skinny or fat necks: the real secret shredding is finding a neck that you find comfy. That lets you be relaxed, maximizing your ability to play. I have a bunch of guitars with all kinds of necks. Reverend necks are a medium C shape, kind of a "Goldilox" neck, as far as I'm concerned- not particularly fat, not super skinny. Most people I know of who have tried a Reverend either like the necks, or at least don't hate them.

Overall, I consider Reverends to be among the best made & comfortable mid-priced ($700-1500) guitars out there. Their quality control is as good as any brand I can think of, VERY consistent guitar to guitar, over a pretty good amount of time. One of my Reverends was a used Roundhouse (discontinued LP-style) from 200 bought on eBay. It feels like my other two.

2) Semihollow (and fully hollow) guitars are a little lighter than their solidbody counterparts because That can be nice if you have back issues. It can also increase resonance. However, less mass can result in less natural sustain and increased feedback when playing at volume.

3) a proper setup should be able to alleviate- but probably won't eliminate- the issues your disability causes with fretting. I know a bunch of military vets use guitars as part of music therapy for all kinds of things, especially PTSD. (See Guitars For Vets.) And those guys have different levels of physical abilities, and have to get their guitars set up all kinds of ways. That's the kind of thing pro guitar techs do.

So Reverend is a definite 'chart topper'. When I got my Conrad, and did (what research I could) about the company, 'Aria'. I found that they actually have a superior consistency, in that their guitars feel/play the same, even when they're a different 'model' or 'style'. I don't honestly know what the neck is, on it. It's thin, is a shallow 'C' shape (might be closer to a 'parenthesis'), the frets have definitely been worn as there are 'dimples' where the strings lay on them when they're depressed. It's lacquered (I think that's what it is), as the neck is shiny.

I 'demo'd' a couple different models/brands at GC, really finding out which ones have necks that feel good. I find that Gibson (almost across the board, or at least the newer models) all have a neck that feels comfortable, and easy to play. Fender's (specifically the Tele, not a big fan of the Strat) all have good necks, even in the... what're they called... where it's like the older brands. Anyway, the Fenders have good necks. Epi's are hit and miss, based on models (which I suspect is because they're Gibson models). They're almost the same as Gibson, but the weight, for some reason, actually makes some of them more difficult to play. One's that weren't as 'playable' were a few Yamaha's, the B.C. Rich's, and a few of the Peavey's.
(Vintage was the word I was looking for)

I've also found that, when the neck isn't shiny, or have the lacquer on it (again, think that's what it is), they seem to be able for my hand to work easier. I my palms stick, really bad, as they sweat easily. But one thing that doesn't make sense is that my Conrad has no problem, but it's shiny, like the ones I DO have problems on.

As for the disability, thing. My Physical Therapist told me to continue to play, that it was actually better than any therapy he could have me do. Which it has been, and it helps that I love to play. I just need some help figuring out what I need to watch/shop, for. My personal guitar tech I see, is beyond helpful, but when it comes to actually buying them, he's a little biased. In that he wants me to buy the guitars he has. (Understandable, as he runs a little shop out of an antique store)

GC is hit and miss, based on who I talk to. I have had a, beyond, exemplary experience with the sales associates, but the tech's screwed me over. (Took my Conrad in, shortly after getting back to OKC for a tune-up/service, charged me $130.00 and only did a half assed job of polishing it.) Needless to say, I'm not happy. But that's not a hinging factor. There's another guitar shop who've treated me great, and I am trying to go back to, but I haven't been in there enough to know, either way.

The only other thing is the Kit's. I am still, very much, interested in them. (Not necessarily the ones I found) I would love to work on one, like that. If nothing more than to see how badly I crash and burn.

I thank you for your help and am currently looking into the site for the Vets. While I don't want to prattle on and keep you, I would very much like to get a more 'thorough' instruction/lesson, on the broad spectrum of guitars. In the near future, I am looking to upgrade my gear (i.e. amp, cables, effects, and tuner). And have been trying to do my research, but it's hard without being able to actually plug in, and play with them. If you could impart some wisdom on that, I would be VERY appreciative. (What most people tell me, doesn't make sense, unless I am an electrician)
Last edited by NexAtrum at May 20, 2014,
Quote by dspellman
Upon careful review of this entire thread...

I'm confused.

We're under new management. Confusion is expected. Your previous 401k will roll over, speak with our HR department.