So, I've been wanting to buy a new guitar. And i've been having a lot of trouble choosing between a Fender Stratocaster and a Gibson Les Paul.
I've seen Jimi Hendrix make sweet love to Fender guitars just like alot of other people like John Mayer, Stevie Vai,...
But then you have this beautifull Les Paul that Gibson gave birth to wich alot of people that I look up to use too. Like Gary Moore, Slash,...
I mainly play blues and rock.
So my dear guitarists, wich one of these 2 is better?
Last edited by ScreaminString at May 15, 2014,
the tele.

didn't read a single rule now did you? just join up and start posting complete crap.

welcome to the forum. learn to read.
Quote by gregs1020
the tele.

didn't read a single rule now did you? just join up and start posting complete crap.

My apologies, I'll go read the rules now.
I'm just a guitarist looking for some advice.
Apples and oranges really. Depends what sort of sound/look youre going for.

Strat is arguably more versatile.

Generally speaking youd want a strat for light - med rock and a les paul for med - hard rock. Exceptions apply obviously
Quote by gregs1020
the tele.

I don't get what I have done wrong. Correct me oh mighty forum veteran?
Quote by ScreaminString

Not a veteran, but here's a few points:
You're not really supposed to make VS threads.
You're not really specifying what you're going for.
You haven't really given us your budget.
And you have told us very vaguely what you like of both guitars (sounds like you haven't tried either of them).
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by ScreaminString

You are comparing two extremely different guitars. Any answer about which is better is purely subjective and will be different for everyone. This is why 'vs' threads are explicitly banned in the rules.

Read this:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497696
Provide the required information and you will be given appropriate suggestions.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
The Forum frowns on "Versus" threads, as they frequently lead to ill will, harsh epithets, unprintable words, and very poor grammar and punctuation.

Your question calls for a conclusion that is entirely subjective. Neither of those guitars is "better" than the other, although there are so many levels of materials and quality in each that it could make a difference. The bottom line is that some people like Les Pauls and others like Stratocasters; some like both, while others like neither one. One is no more suited to a particular style of music or playing than is the other one. Guitarists do it all with both of those guitars, as well as with many others. It is rather like asking "Which girls are better: blondes, brunettes, or redheads?" You like what you like, and that is what you should go for.

It is the reason why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors of ice cream. People have different tastes.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at May 15, 2014,
Steve Vai plays a super strat. They are tonally worlds apart.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by ScreaminString
Hmm, thanks for that guys, I'll edit the post.

You may have edited the first post, but you are still asking for comparisons between two very different guitars.

If you are not looking for suggestions, and are limiting your choices to those options, the ONLY answer is to play them both and buy your favourite.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud