Heya

I have a Telecaster 72 deluxe reissue that I got a couple of months ago. Overall the guitar is great, but the strap button screws are coming loose frequently..

I have schaller strap locks installed and I installed them before I even used the original strap buttons once, so I don't know if this problem existed before I installed the strap locks or not.. I used the original screws when I installed the strap locks and they fit.
I've tried sticking toothpicks into the hole but it doesn't seem to work, and I don't want to put any more toothpicks in there in case of damaging the guitar.

Any ideas? The screw doesn't pop out as if the hole was too big, but it just kind of screws it way out after I've used it..

Your best bet would be to remove the toothpick fragments, fill the hole with plastic wood (or some similar type of filler) and re-drill the hole. Have a local guitar technician do it if you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself. It is usually an inexpensive fix.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
A dab of wood compatible epoxy on the screw when you run it in should work if the hole is not too big. Do not over-tighten and let it cure for 24 hrs.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Take out the existing screw, and use the long screw that came with the schaller locks. I've installed Schaller locks on 3 fender guitars using the long screw, and I've never had one come loose yet.

Given that you have already got tooth picks in the hole, that should fix it.
Quote by mark_wuk
Take out the existing screw, and use the long screw that came with the schaller locks. I've installed Schaller locks on 3 fender guitars using the long screw, and I've never had one come loose yet.

Given that you have already got tooth picks in the hole, that should fix it.

Yeah, you don't use the existing screws with the straplocks. That's why they give you new ones.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by juliusxxrock
But the new screw are so thick, I'm thinking it'd damage the guitar. And is the existing hole long enough?

Installing the right screws for your strap locks isnt damaging your guitar. Not having the right screws and having your strap button rip right out of your guitar? That's damaging.

You can find that out yourself. You have both the screws, compare the lengths.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Installing the right screws for your strap locks isnt damaging your guitar. Not having the right screws and having your strap button rip right out of your guitar? That's damaging.

You can find that out yourself. You have both the screws, compare the lengths.

Aight, I'll just clip off the excessive lenght of the correct screws

thanks
Quote by juliusxxrock
Aight, I'll just clip off the excessive lenght of the correct screws

thanks

You don't have to clip them off, the extra depth probably isn't going to hurt anything.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
You need to read the directions before installing your straplocks. They will tell you EXACTLY what drill bit to use to make the holes the right size and how deep to drill them.
Installing them wrong and then complaining when they don't work right, or you drop your guitar on the floor and break something is not right.

I'm not trying to be rude. I just get upset when people complain something isn't working right, but they didn't bother to read instructions.
I usually read instructions AFTER I screw up, just to be fair.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Last edited by ryanbwags at May 15, 2014,