Heya

I play a JCM 800 2204, which ofcourse in a single channel amp, and single channel amps are a pain in the butt when you want to switch between clean and dirty.

I want to try out a JCM 900 4100, but I'm also interested in buying a cheap amp head with a nice clean in focus and A/B switch for clean and dirty.

What amp could I consider? Ignore budget for now, just think "cheap"
Tube or not doesn't matter, as long as it sounds good (I don't know if tube is necessary when it comes to cleans).

Last edited by juliusxxrock at May 15, 2014,
You can control the gain with your volume on your guitar. Single channel amps aren't a pain in the butt to go from clean and dirty that way.

That's a pretty cheap solution.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You can control the gain with your volume on your guitar. Single channel amps aren't a pain in the butt to go from clean and dirty that way.

That's a pretty cheap solution.

Yeah that's my current solution, but there's a great difference in volume that I can not handle playing in a three piece
Quote by juliusxxrock
Yeah that's my current solution, but there's a great difference in volume that I can not handle playing in a three piece

In that case, have you considered replacing your single channel 800 for one of the 2 channel models? They tend to be a bit cheaper than the single channel ones and the RIs.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
In that case, have you considered replacing your single channel 800 for one of the 2 channel models? They tend to be a bit cheaper than the single channel ones and the RIs.

Such as the 2205?
Wouldn't I be better off with a Line 6 Spider then?

No but in that case I would probably be better off with a JCM 900 dual reverb.
Quote by juliusxxrock
Such as the 2205?
Wouldn't I be better off with a Line 6 Spider then?

No but in that case I would probably be better off with a JCM 900 dual reverb.

Erm, since when is a 2 channel 800 the same as a spider?

They're great sounding amps.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by juliusxxrock
The spider thing was a joke

The 2205/2210 are not so great IMO. The JCM 900 DR sounds better and is A LOT cheaper in Sweden (from what I've seen).

I don't think I agree with that. I usually hear/read the opposite too. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong but the JCM 900 is just a 2205/2210 with a bunch of added junk that the amp didn't need (diode clipping and some other features). The 800 will be closer to your actual amp too.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster