I've had this thread posted many times before in the last two years but never reached a conclusion. Looking for a good flying V for the money.

I play mainly thrash metal, listen to a lot of Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Sepultura etc.

Wants:
1. Good pick-ups, doesn't matter if they're active or not. (at this price point).
2. 24 frets
3. String-Thru bridge, I don't mess around with the whammy a lot and I'm no good at setting up floyd rose bridges and all that stuff, I also change tunings quite frequently.
4. Jumbo frets.
5. A pointy shape, I do not prefer those 'rounded' corners on Vs like gibson has.

I've already checked out all of the Dave Mustaine signatures, but all of them are just way too big, especially the Vs he plays, they just look over sized.

Please begin :P
Last edited by MehrozeGillani at May 17, 2014,
It's going to be a pretty narrow selection. Jackson makes a string through 24 fret guitar (RR24XT) but it's slighty more than 500 bucks.

Ibanez made a V called the VBT700 which are pretty sweet if you can find. They're closer in shape to the Mustaine Dean V.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
http://jacksonguitars.com/guitars/king-v/models/js32t-king-v-rosewood-fingerboard-strings-thru-body-gloss-black/

http://jacksonguitars.com/guitars/rhoads/models/js32t-rhoads-rosewood-fingerboard-strings-thru-body-white-with-black-bevels/

this is all i can really think of in the price range that fits the criteria more or less. They wont be the best (bolt on neck for example) but they should be fairly decent. Atleast a starting point
-Main Gear-
ESP Ltd V-401 + D Activator N&B
De Armond/Guild 2000 M72 Bluesbird w/ USA Toastertops
Peavey JSX & XXL
Mesa Boogie Rectifier Vertical 2x12
Airis Effects Savage Drive
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It's going to be a pretty narrow selection. Jackson makes a string through 24 fret guitar (RR24XT) but it's slighty more than 500 bucks.

See I can't really raise my budget, I don't live in the united states or anywhere you can find guitars easily. I have to get this shipped from abroad, so much of my cash is being scooped up there.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Ibanez made a V called the VBT700 which are pretty sweet if you can find. They're closer in shape to the Mustaine Dean V.

Damn! Just saw this, and have to say I am in love! Just checked everything about it out, though I wasn't able to find any price listed for it anywhere on the web, strange, do you know how much it costs ?

Quote by TYSHADOWS
this is all i can really think of in the price range that fits the criteria more or less. They wont be the best (bolt on neck for example) but they should be fairly decent. Atleast a starting point

I've already checked these out, these are good guitars for the money yes, but then again, rather than affordable, i'd actually say they are cheap, being honest. I heard from people that if I extended my budget to 500$ I could get something better. These will still remain options though.
Quote by MehrozeGillani
See I can't really raise my budget, I don't live in the united states or anywhere you can find guitars easily. I have to get this shipped from abroad, so much of my cash is being scooped up there.

Damn! Just saw this, and have to say I am in love! Just checked everything about it out, though I wasn't able to find any price listed for it anywhere on the web, strange, do you know how much it costs ?

I've already checked these out, these are good guitars for the money yes, but then again, rather than affordable, i'd actually say they are cheap, being honest. I heard from people that if I extended my budget to 500$ I could get something better. These will still remain options though.

you can't find the price cause they don't make them anymore. Unfortunately you'd have to hunt for a used one.

I see them for around 400-600 USD in used condition. If you're looking for a new guitar then your options would basically be Jackson or DBZ/Dean for a guitar that fits what you're looking for.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
They're discontinued ? Shit, that sucks.
Damn why is gear so expensive, What are your views on 'other companies' like fernandes and tokai ?
Quote by MehrozeGillani
They're discontinued ? Shit, that sucks.
Damn why is gear so expensive, What are your views on 'other companies' like fernandes and tokai ?

Depending on the model, pretty good.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by MehrozeGillani
What are your views on 'other companies' like fernandes and tokai ?

never tried a 24 fret tokai or fernandez "V" but if they're on par with the rest of the (mij) stuff they make, they're probably top notch.
Quote by gregs1020
never tried a 24 fret tokai or fernandez "V" but if they're on par with the rest of the (mij) stuff they make, they're probably top notch.

Hello gregs, we meet again, haha, you answered this thread a year ago as well

Quote by Roxxie Roxx
Esp ltd have some half decent v guitars
http://www.espguitars.co.uk/guitars-ltd-v.html

Yes I just checked out the LTD V-50, I can't really seem to find any worthy reviews of it, from what i've read about them so far is that they are 'amazing' axes for the price. What do you think ? I'm considering this and a Dean VMNTX at the moment, but from what i've heard is that cheap ESP/LTDs are better than cheap deans.
Quote by MehrozeGillani
What are your views on 'other companies' like fernandes and tokai ?

Fernandes makes good instruments- I own 2 Ravelles. Their Vs are on the short list of V's I'd consider buying.

Right now, they have some of their guitars on clearance sale, disrespect from the company. Discounts are substantial, but they're "while supplies last" only.

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/vortex/77-vortex-deluxe-limited.html

www.fernandesguitarshop.com/28-vortex-x.html

www.fernandesguitarshop.com/v-hawk/32-v-hawk-x.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
B.C. Rich Jr V's and Agile Hornet V's would be within your budget, I can vouch that Agile's are definitely worth your money in features.
Peavey 6505+ Head (Left)
Line 6 Spider IV HD150 Head (Right)
Marshall 1960A 4x12
ESP DV-8
Ibanez RG T42DX
Agile Hornet Pro 727
Quote by Br0c00ler
B.C. Rich Jr V's and Agile Hornet V's would be within your budget, I can vouch that Agile's are definitely worth your money in features.

I was going to suggest these as well. Never played either but both have the specs you're looking for. Try the Agile Custom Shop for the Hornet you really want to your specs and it includes a hard case.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by MehrozeGillani

Yes I just checked out the LTD V-50, I can't really seem to find any worthy reviews of it, from what i've read about them so far is that they are 'amazing' axes for the price. What do you think ? I'm considering this and a Dean VMNTX at the moment, but from what i've heard is that cheap ESP/LTDs are better than cheap deans.

I can attest for ESP as a whole, their build quality is superb. (my luthier was extremely impressed, commented about how "theres a reason used ESPs are starting to sell for more than used gibsons") I have a V-401fm (higher end model) and it is amazing. I went through 2 other Vs before deciding on my current (bc rich Jr V and Jackson King V) ESP is great. My problem with the BC Rich was the shape of the V. It is a very thin V and the points are fairly rounded, its personally not what appealed to me, but the build quality was flawless (keep in mind i got the NJ Deluxe model). The Jackson was good shape wise but i had lots of build issues, it had nice playability but i went through 3 returns with major factory defects (defective pickups, stripped screws, handfulls of floyd issues) before i decided enough was enough. You do not want a Floyd the so i wouldnt imagine you having the exact problems i had
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
Last edited by TYSHADOWS at May 15, 2014,
Quote by TYSHADOWS
I can attest for ESP as a whole, their build quality is superb. (my luthier was extremely impressed, commented about how "theres a reason used ESPs are starting to sell for more than used gibsons") I have a V-401fm (higher end model) and it is amazing. I went through 2 other Vs before deciding on my current (bc rich Jr V and Jackson King V) ESP is great. My problem with the BC Rich was the shape of the V. It is a very thin V and the points are fairly rounded, its personally not what appealed to me, but the build quality was flawless (keep in mind i got the NJ Deluxe model). The Jackson was good shape wise but i had lots of build issues, it had nice playability but i went through 3 returns with major factory defects (defective pickups, stripped screws, handfulls of floyd issues) before i decided enough was enough. You do not want a Floyd the so i wouldnt imagine you having the exact problems i had

as a whole? and you actually don't own a ESP. LTD is the budget brand. and a handfull doesn't speak for anything. if you have owned five or six at different budgets and had different models, mayby you could say you know LTD well.

do you say "Fender Affinity Strat" that is a squier.

and that is not a higher end model its middle of the road. i have owned several LTD's and they are nice, but definitely would't go for less than a 400. mine were EC's though. decent guitar. i would take it over the BC rich and the Dean though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dmc92484
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Ibanez-VBT-700-Flying-V-electric-guitar-/161306495366?pt=Guitar&hash=item258e9dc986

There's the Ibanez for sale for $450. Not sure if they'd ship it outside of the US though... Schecter made a couple V's as well and they're pretty decent.

Not a problem, myus.com delivers everything right at your doorstep, the issue here is that it's a used guitar and I won't be able to test it out before purchasing . Not that I can test out new guitars that i'll be ordering but hey, they'll be new, so the obligation to test the guitar out lessens.

Quote by metalmingee
Try the Agile Custom Shop for the Hornet you really want to your specs and it includes a hard case.

I'm pretty sure the custom shop will cost way more than 500$

Quote by dannyalcatraz
A little above your price, but...

I'm poor
What can I do, I have to pay like 300$ just for getting the guitar all the way over to my place.
Quote by MehrozeGillani

I'm not really one for Dean guitars. But that's just me.

Plus, I've learned guitars with those shapes are pretty heavy and I like light guitars but these are just my preferences. You may really like it.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
I own 2 Deans that I love to pieces: I would not buy a Dean that costs under $500 as its normal, non-discounted price.

Quote by trashedlostfdup

as a whole? and you actually don't own a ESP. LTD is the budget brand.

Yes i know i don't own an ESP, i accidently left of the LTD part, sorry. The model suggested to him was an LTD so i can still give my opinion.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

and that is not a higher end model its middle of the road.

I didn't say a high end model, i said higher end, referring to the fact that its a higher end model than the one he is looking at, which it is

Quote by trashedlostfdup

i have owned several LTD's and they are nice, but definitely would't go for less than a 400. mine were EC's though. decent guitar. i would take it over the BC rich and the Dean though.

Exactly, for what they do (budget) they do it very well. Of all the cheaper models from makers they are the ones i would trust the most for quality.

Im not saying drop everything thats the one you need, im giving my opinion on my personal experience about the makers that i have tried, and the problems, just so the TS is aware. Sorry if there were some accidental errors
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
Quote by Br0c00ler
Nothing particularly good or bad about it, it's average for a guitar in that price range.

right it's just average for the dough in his price point.

but i'd take it over the dean all day long.