Hi,
I want to by a new amp.I'm playing mostly metalcore, hardcore, sometimes indie rock or just enjoying the clean chanel.So, mostly modern sound.

My budget is 750$/550 euros. I prefer new amp.

I'm living in Montenegro(south/east Europe), so i would buy it probably from thomann website, options are very limited in my country and the price is about 150 euros higher.

By threads that i have red 6505+ combo is one of the most ''popular'' one for the price of 750$/550euros. But there is one negative thing that is very comment about this amp and it's making me less and less secure that i want to buy it. The problem with effects(fx loop).I tried it at the store and the sound is getting worse when you use them (noise gate, delay etc).

I would go a little more with price if there is a good buy. It will be mostly used as home amp,eventually band practise or a small gig.

Any good amp-s on your mind?
Thanks ahead
Last edited by emircg at May 15, 2014,
I've heard about that too, but frankly mine did not have that problem (sounding worse w/ fx loop engaged). But yes, people have complained.
Quote by Kivenkantaja
I've heard about that too, but frankly mine did not have that problem (sounding worse w/ fx loop engaged). But yes, people have complained.

Don't think mine has any problem with that FX loop issue. But anyway, you can mod it pretty easily by moving a couple of resistors around, if it matters that much.

Also, take a look at the Laney Ironheart, people seem to like them quite a lot. Ditto for a Jet city amp, but you'll probably want a boost with it and even then it may not be modern sounding enough.

An alternative could be this, a POD HD500x, and combine it with a foldback monitor for home use, then run it through the PA when it comes to gigs.
Last edited by ambler3 at May 15, 2014,
If you run an EQ pedal in the loop it's a non-issue. Some people actually like the sound better with the loop engaged; so it's really a matter of preference. To me, it sounded a little thinner/raspier with the effects loop engaged, but with my EQ pedal I can dial that out/add bass/low mids and it sounds even better now than it does without using the effects loop.

There are two pedals I'd highly recommend, hell MANDATE, that you buy if you own a 6505+ combo:

An OD boost (any will do, really)
MXR 10-band EQ

Whenever I'm playing distorted (98% of the time, lol), those two pedals are on.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by ambler3
Don't think mine has any problem with that FX loop issue. But anyway, you can mod it pretty easily by moving a couple of resistors around, if it matters that much.

Also, take a look at the Laney Ironheart, people seem to like them quite a lot. Ditto for a Jet city amp, but you'll probably want a boost with it and even then it may not be modern sounding enough.

An alternative could be this, a POD HD500x, and combine it with a foldback monitor for home use, then run it through the PA when it comes to gigs.

Well, i'm glad to hear a positive feedback from owners.Now i'm starting to think that there was in store only paranoid me with head full of negative comments for the fx loop.By the way that one was sold for 690 euros.

Frankly, i don't now much about moving resistors, but i've looked on Peavy forums and found couple of threads about it (that are also for someone with more experience in that field).

I've red some reviews and watch yt presentations about laney ironheart(mostly the 30w model combo, because it is the only one in my price range) and it sounded very good.At least from what i can hear trough the speakers. I don't for sure if it is loud enough to do at least band practice gig?

The alternative with HD500x is just not for me, i want something plug and play in one piece due to mobility.
Quote by KailM
If you run an EQ pedal in the loop it's a non-issue. Some people actually like the sound better with the loop engaged; so it's really a matter of preference. To me, it sounded a little thinner/raspier with the effects loop engaged, but with my EQ pedal I can dial that out/add bass/low mids and it sounds even better now than it does without using the effects loop.

There are two pedals I'd highly recommend, hell MANDATE, that you buy if you own a 6505+ combo:

An OD boost (any will do, really)
MXR 10-band EQ

Whenever I'm playing distorted (98% of the time, lol), those two pedals are on.

I guess i wanted it perfect for a small price.But i'll keep that in mind if i go with this one. Thanks
Quote by emircg
By the way that one was sold for 690 euros.

Damn, they sell them new for 540 euros here in Portugal...
Quote by emircg
The alternative with HD500x is just not for me, i want something plug and play in one piece due to mobility.

To me, there isn't anything that can beat a floorboard modelling unit in terms of plug in and play. It's pretty much leave your foldback speaker at home for home practice...then whenever playing out, simply take the board and plug it into the PA system.

It's much less space consuming, and is effectively the same as carrying a guitar and a laptop case around.

But that's just my opinion
Quote by Grawgos
Look at the Randall diavlo.

Randall RD40C . For me, the perfect choice. Such a shame i don't have a store in the region where i can try it out. If someone has experience with this one, please share.

Also if someone has experience with buying used amps from thomann, share.
I don't have that issue with my 6505+ 112 combo. I'll throw a noise gate in when I'm playing with my band and there is no difference in sound (barring the effects of the noise gate, of course).

I absolutely love my amp. I have no regrets in buying it.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
Quote by diabolical
The Ironheart is also a great choice, but maybe a bit more geared towards classic metal.

Killswitch Engage used them on a recent tour. They have a pretty aggressive metal sound.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
I heard somebody using an Ironheart for that type of music at a gig recently and it kicked arse.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification