So I've decided it's too much of a bother lugging around two guitars in separate tunings, and that it would be better to sell them off and get a new 7/8 string.

I will make this short and snappy without boring everyone.

What I play- Progressive. I mean, actually progressive, not djent with a few cleans and calling it "progressive".

Stuff like Fate's Warning, Dream Theater, etc.

Also plain old melodeath, some metalcore/djent. Also a bit of oldies, Maiden and suchlike.

Basically, I love having a low A# on my low tuned guitar to play stuff on, and the idea of having a low A# without sacrificing the high end of a standard tuned guitar appeals to me. Plus, I can just use a capo instead of changing tunings. My other guitar is in drop D, and changing guitars mid jam is irksome.

I want at least 7 strings, but 8 would be awesome.
With an 8, intend to tune- F A# F A# D# G C F/F A# F A# D# G# C F
That way, I can play powerchords incorporating the low F for a thick pseudo octaved sound. Like, the bass guitar plays a low A#, and I play open on the lower 4 strings, so it sounds low and thick but the root is maintained. That, and playing usual metal chuggah chuggah stuff, some touch style in time as well.

Guitars I am considering- Ibanez RG8, RGA8, Schecter Damien 7/8, Damien Elite 7/8, C-7/8 ATX/Hellraiser.

What I am looking for quality/sound wise- No real preference, a balanced sound would be nice, but not a deal breaker, so long as it isnt overly dark or overly shrill, dont mind either way. No preference for pickups or body woods.

I want a guitar that is at least as well build/plays as well as my LTD MH-100QM. Not exactly high end, but I doubt I'll get a true high end 8 stringer within my limited budget, which is about USD900 if I can convince parents to part with a bit of cash, more realistically about 700-800.
That said, a better feeling guitar would be good.

I don't mind Schecter necks before anyone bashes them, I don't have any issue playing on them. Gorilla hands you see

Shit's overpriced here, yo. Here are some prices-

Ibanez RG8- USD550
RGA8- 950
Damien 7/8- 600/700
Damien 8 Eltire- 850
C7 ATX- 1100, but the shop selling it is willing to drop it to 950.

Online not an option, every site that ships here slaps a 125 or thereabouts dollar shipping fee.

What say guys?
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at May 15, 2014,
I would go with the RG8. It's the best bang for your buck, imo. It's biggest weakness is the pickups, but by looking at the price of the other guitars you are looking at I think you can afford a pickup upgrade. The RGA8 doesn't have much over the RG8.

I'm a sucker for Ibbies though, so I am a tad biased
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
I adore my RGA8 I'd take it's locking system over the RG8 any day of the week however the pickups WILL need replacing (in both RGA and RG) as the stock ones are shit. I also replaced the RGA8s killswitch with a push-pull coilsplit tone pot for more versatility
[Member of the Ibanez S Players Club.] Pm striketalonx to join

Ibanez SA1260
Ibanez RGA8 w/DiMarzio PAF8s
Ibanez JS1200CA
Ibanez S470IB w/DiMarzio Tonezone (Bridge)
Laney LC50 Mark II
Boss ME-70
I'd try one of the ESP/LTD 8 string models if you like how yours plays. The SC and MH models are great in my opinion
Bassist/Vocalist-Visceral Violation
Mesa-Boogie Big Block 750/SWR Megoliath
Warwick Corvette
I'd probably go for Schecter out of these (besides my slight bias that I'm not a fan of the RG shape), they're generally well-made and I think Schecter offers far better pickups in lower/mid-range guitars than most companies. In fact I had a chance to try out the Damien Elite 8, and it felt very solid, comfortable to play and the EMG pickups were definitely very decent.

Also, are you sure about selling all your 6-strings? I'd keep at least one if I were you, they feel very, very different.
Last edited by TheLiberation at May 15, 2014,
I'm pretty sure there are better schecters for that price. If you could get that 900 I'd get a banshee
If you can find one, they had Schecter Hellrasier C-8 Specials being sold for 550-750. I picked one up a couple years ago and it's an awesome instrument. Being totally mahogany, it's got a really big and powerful tone. The biggest downside I'd say is the upper fret access sometimes (they make a better one now, Hybrid something?) and the scale length is a little short for the low end. Otherwise, plays really great
i was pleasantly surprised on the quality of the ibanez iron label. i play a lot on ibanez prestige RG;s so maybe i am more accustomed to it, IIRC it had active EMG's which weren't actually that bad.

there was one jackson at the same price that was underwhelming. just lacked the good feel. that particular model seemed to have a mediocre fretwork.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I like the LTDs but only the SC207/208 is available in my range here, bit of a side grade from my current rig.
Def gonna look into the Hellraiser Special, seems to be available here as well, about 800 clams here.
Ibanez Iron Label unavailable

So you guys are saying the RG8 isn't a bad instrument, just needs a pickup change? My first preference is a C-8 ATX/ Damien 8 Elite, but should that not be in budget/unavailable I intend to go RG8. It should be a definite upgrade over my current LTDs right?

Also, looking at price, Id guess the Schecter C-8/Damien is better than the RG8, but is it a big difference?

EDIT: Was on from phone earlier, now can reply better.

Quote by gorgthemeatpile
I would go with the RG8. It's the best bang for your buck, imo. It's biggest weakness is the pickups, but by looking at the price of the other guitars you are looking at I think you can afford a pickup upgrade. The RGA8 doesn't have much over the RG8.

I'm a sucker for Ibbies though, so I am a tad biased

Quote by im_atheist
I adore my RGA8 I'd take it's locking system over the RG8 any day of the week however the pickups WILL need replacing (in both RGA and RG) as the stock ones are shit. I also replaced the RGA8s killswitch with a push-pull coilsplit tone pot for more versatility

Would you guys say the build quality of the RG8 is comparable to that of the RGA8? And compared to the Schecters?

Quote by TheLiberation
I'd probably go for Schecter out of these (besides my slight bias that I'm not a fan of the RG shape), they're generally well-made and I think Schecter offers far better pickups in lower/mid-range guitars than most companies. In fact I had a chance to try out the Damien Elite 8, and it felt very solid, comfortable to play and the EMG pickups were definitely very decent.

Also, are you sure about selling all your 6-strings? I'd keep at least one if I were you, they feel very, very different.

Even I am kind of biased towards the Schecter, but I honestly do not want to pay extra if the fit and finish of the guitar isnt that much better than the RG8- the Damien Elite/C-8 are considerably pricier and are pretty much on the limit of what I can spend.

In general, I find both Schecter and Ibanez 7 string necks quite comfy to play on when set up properly, I doubt an 8 would be that different? So it's a question of fit and finish and bang for buck over everything else right now.

And yeah, I'm completely fine with losing the 6 string feel. I can't survive without a low A#, and at the same time I miss losing out on a high E, so I can't see how I can manage with a 6 without going a weird ass tuning like AADGBE or something with an 8 or a 7 I can have both while still maintaining some semblance of sanity in the tuning.

EDIT2: I took a look at pickup pricing in my locality. Shit's ****ing expensive a set of Blackout 8's is like 400 dollars same with EMG 808's. And no one's stocking any passive 8 string pickups
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at May 16, 2014,
I know the thread has aged a bit buuut...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Agile line from Rondo Music. So far I own two guitars from them - a 7 string from their Douglas line and an Agile LP from their custom shop. Fantastic guitars and cheaper than their equivalents from brands like Ibanez, ESP, etc., and typically have more unique options like neck-thru/locking trem on sub-$200 guitars.

Not knocking Ibanez though, I have one of their early production Xiphos models and I love it, just wanted to suggest another alternative considering the budget. I have never heard anything bad said about an Agile, and I love mine. Extremely good build quality - mine came with hand-filed frets and set up out of the box with 10s.
Last edited by AstralOceans at May 30, 2014,
I'd go with an Ibanez RG8 and replace the stock pickups with something more high output.

Edit:
Quote by AstralOceans
and typically have more unique options like neck-thru/locking trem on sub-$200 guitars.

Unless we're talking used, I would be VERY suspicious about any locking trem on a sub-$200 guitar. The material of the trem will NOT be good quality at that price. Don't bother.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 30, 2014,
You've got me there - the 7 string I own has a locking trem, and it's not constructed of the best materials. I don't like floating trems in the first place anyway. It's a solid neck-thru, however.

That's why I recommend getting an Agile, not a Douglas. Agile is the high-end line offered by Rondo. The Agile I had built ended up being $550 total - ebony fretboard, solid mahogany, set neck, mother-of-pearl inlays, including hard case, and it's at least as well-made as my Xiphos, or better.