Hi, I just started listening to Todd Duane and was wondering something. How is his playing so alien (like Alan Holdsworth, Frank Zappa, Buckethead, and Syd Barret level oddity) and unique. What kind of scales, chords, arpeggios, ect does he use. Are there any techniques and/or strategies that would give me that kind of sound (besides practicing too much)? What genre would Todd Duane even fit into? I'd like some answers as to how this guy's playing works.
Here's an example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTkilAr-GwU

And another example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5fQsCw5jNE

Help would be appreciated.
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
That just sounds pretty (major) bluesy to me (except played pretty fast). So pretty much minor pentatonic/blues scale, but also throw in the major third (and/or the minor third bent a quarter tone sharp), the major 6th and maybe the major 7th. And the odd passing tone where it fits.

Or the major or major pentatonic might work, too. Again with the odd passing tone in the right place and/or tone borrowed from the minor or blues scale.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What strikes me the most about his playing besides the speed is the way he tracks his guitars. That doubling effect of two guitars with different characteristics playing the same thing definitely contributes to his "alien" sound.
Quote by Trowzaa
Why do you and your mates all drive old vehicles?
Please say you've got mates with old ambulances and fire engines too. That'd be brilliant.
It's interesting. There is a lot of hot shot country hybrid picking doing on, and a few off notes, that suggest a very subtle dimininished at times. I'd say this is a very technical off beat country style with very specific times off notes are thrown to tilt it from just being typical country notes. He's very accomplished at the country genre, but not limited to it, and has a lot of linear shredding to him as well. But definitely he has found off notes that he likes and knows how to use them for effect. As for chords and arps and scales, They are typically major, or hexatonic, avoiding the 4ths with some color notes thrown in for a certain sound that he likes.

How to do that? That's beyond the scope of anything that can be canned into one answer. Spend the years that it would take to dissect his playing style, learn his tunes and master them, and then apply what you've learned. It would literally take years.

Master some technical players, Govan, etc.

Master some country shredders, Hiland, Gatton, Paisley, Burton for starters.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at May 16, 2014,
^ yeah it's not a million miles off country either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
By "Paisley", do you (Sean) mean Brad Paisley. Also is Country Shred another way to say Bluegrass? I find your tip very interesting.

Also John 5 (Rob Zombie's guitarist) seems to also be able to mix his Metal and Country/Bluegrass.
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
Last edited by RonaldPoe at May 16, 2014,
Quote by RonaldPoe
By "Paisley", do you (Sean) mean Brad Paisley. Also is Country Shred another way to say Bluegrass? I find your tip very interesting.

Also John 5 (Rob Zombie's guitarist) seems to also be able to mix his Metal and Country/Bluegrass.

I do mean Brad Paisley. He's a monster player. Bluegrass is not country shred. Listen to the players I mentioned. John 5 is a great example of country and technical shred, and very intelligent as a player.

Best,

Sean
Quote by RonaldPoe
Hi, I just started listening to Todd Duane and was wondering something. How is his playing so alien (like Alan Holdsworth, Frank Zappa, Buckethead, and Syd Barret level oddity) and unique.

I would say it's fairly typical of players from that era. each person trying to outdo the others.

practice alot and when you write music, focus on making it as complicated as possible.

Quote by RonaldPoe

Are there any techniques and/or strategies that would give me that kind of sound (besides practicing too much)?

honestly, no.

Quote by RonaldPoe

What genre would Todd Duane even fit into?

Late 80's GIT shred all the way.

Quote by RonaldPoe

I'd like some answers as to how this guy's playing works.

play everything you know, as fast as you possibly can.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 17, 2014,

although i laughed that's not actually that far off. pretty much bang on.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I decided to research John 5 and learn some Rob Zombie songs (and other things he played). That would be helpful.

Who's the weirdest guitarist (playing wise) you can think of? What's their favorite scale? Give a description of their style and example of their playing.

Here's Brad Paisley playing a sweet country shred solo with Keith Urban.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hadixMreh9E

Quote by RonaldPoe
I decided to research John 5 and learn some Rob Zombie songs (and other things he played). That would be helpful.

Who's the weirdest guitarist (playing wise) you can think of? What's their favorite scale? Give a description of their style and example of their playing.

Here's Brad Paisley playing a sweet country shred solo with Keith Urban.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hadixMreh9E

so are you like seeking out and studying the most unique and totally awesome players in hopes somehow attaining their abilities?
Sort of but I also have a strange taste in music (I enjoy odd and unique musicians like Voltaire, Dweezil Zappa, Creature Feature, Emperor (the Norwegian Black Metal band), and Alestorm). I just like suggestions for listening and inspiration. So what's the weirdest guitarist you can think of and what techniques and favorite scales do they have/use most often?

"Weird" is a matter of opinion. If the norm was to sound like Zappa, Katy Perry would be experimental as hell...
Judging by the lyrics from some of her songs she does sound fairly "experimental"...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Judging by the lyrics from some of her songs she does sound fairly "experimental"...

LOL, that's pretty funny. Do you know any guitarists weirder than Allan Holdsworth and Todd Duane?

not really. i'm not even familiar with them (just heard of allan holdsworth). I normally listen to pretty mainstream stuff.

that being said, people like henry kaiser get made fun of appreciated a lot online, so maybe look into guys like that?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd say the dude from Primus was pretty weird. I'm not into that sort of thing, but maybe Ronald would like it.
Damn, this guy is insane.

He's got hybrid picking licks mixed with 80's shred-geek type licks. Really cool player.
^ oh yeah i should clarify that i liked what i heard of those todd duane clips too. i hadn't heard of him before, nice find ronald
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ oh yeah i should clarify that i liked what i heard of those todd duane clips too. i hadn't heard of him before, nice find ronald

When I went to GIT, he was "the dude at the door" that would check your I.D. to get into the building.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?