I pulled out my keyboard to mess around with earlier and decided to glance over at some scales to refresh my memory when I noticed something sounded off with the minor scales listed on the site.

http://www.internetmeridian.com/piano/Keyboarding/Scale_Fingerinngs.html

That's when I noticed the 7th of each of the minor scales was raised up. Shouldn't the site technically list those scales as "Harmonic Minor" instead of just listing minor with the assumption that they are Natural? Or is the Harmonic Minor more accepted in the piano circle or what? Haha, just curious is all.
Quote by wheelz1045
I pulled out my keyboard to mess around with earlier and decided to glance over at some scales to refresh my memory when I noticed something sounded off with the minor scales listed on the site.

http://www.internetmeridian.com/piano/Keyboarding/Scale_Fingerinngs.html

That's when I noticed the 7th of each of the minor scales was raised up. Shouldn't the site technically list those scales as "Harmonic Minor" instead of just listing minor with the assumption that they are Natural? Or is the Harmonic Minor more accepted in the piano circle or what? Haha, just curious is all.

Minor keys generally can be 3 kinds (nat, harm, mel), and all be considered "Minor" collectively. The harmonic minor is very common because of the V-i resolution, and how much stronger it is from, say a v-i.

Best,

Sean
They are using the harmonic minor, which has a major 7th. The natural minor scale (read: the one everyone is most familiar with) has a minor 7th.

Edit:
So, you're used to the following: 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7. The harmonic minor goes: 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, 7. Make sense?
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 15, 2014,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
They are using the harmonic minor, which has a major 7th. The natural minor scale (read: the one everyone is most familiar with) has a minor 7th.

Edit:
So, you're used to the following: 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7. The harmonic minor goes: 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, 7. Make sense?

But... he said that.