Hi there guys,

So I started learning music theory. I bought an acoustic guitar and I'm really interested in knowing how to pull out chords from scales. To improvise, compose, etc.

I'm reading the 'Absolute Essentials of Music Theory' by Don MacLean and 'Practical Music Theory' of Justin Sandercoe. Even tough I'm liking them, I wanted a more thorough approach on the harmonization of scales.

Already checked in a glance the 'Chord Chemistry' by Ted Greene but it looked like it was a big dictionary of chords, I'm not really interested in memorizing specific shapes, I want to know the formulas and work out the shapes by myself.

Could you help me out and suggest something?

Thanks
OMG LOOK! I'TS MY SIGNATURE

Quote by Hobolad
I think instruments are as hard to play as you make them, y'know?

EDIT: Damn, I fail for posting serious.

What exactly are you having trouble with? Here's the formula for your basic chords...

MAJOR = Root + Major 3rd + Minor 3rd - example (C E G)
MINOR = Root + Minor 3rd + Major 3rd - example (C Eb G)
DIMINISHED = Root + Minor 3rd + Minor 3rd - example (C Eb Gb)
AUGMENTED = Root + Major 3rd + Major 3rd - example (C E G#)

To create triads using notes from a specific scale, just take 3 notes from the particular scale and work in a Root-Third-Fifth.
Last edited by b00m at May 15, 2014,
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Composition
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Solos and Improvisation

The first book will teach you how to make chords from scales and both books will teach you how to harmonize those chords to your melody. The first book also has an excellent couple of chapters on constructing those melodies in the first place.
Chord Chemistry by Ted Greene is known as THE definitive chord book for guitarists that are willing to venture down the rabbit whole. Plenty of the world's greatest guitarists went through the entire thing, and it is a mother****er. If you just want a chord encyclopedia then and picture chord encyclopedia you find on amazon should do the trick. If you want lighter theory than Mr, Greene provides combine an encyclopedia with some private lessons or some YouTube lessons and do all the work until it clicks and apply it to music, good luck mang!
Quote by zackk
seriously though, listen to DaliLama.
Quote by Arthur Curry
My spidey sense tells me some mothafuckas are gonna be BANNED.
Quote by DaliLama
Chord Chemistry by Ted Greene is known as THE definitive chord book for guitarists that are willing to venture down the rabbit whole. Plenty of the world's greatest guitarists went through the entire thing, and it is a mother****er. If you just want a chord encyclopedia then and picture chord encyclopedia you find on amazon should do the trick. If you want lighter theory than Mr, Greene provides combine an encyclopedia with some private lessons or some YouTube lessons and do all the work until it clicks and apply it to music, good luck mang!

I regretted getting that book. It's a mess. Amazing player though.