Hi all. I am very frustrated by this!

I have an ESP ltd mh401 with emg 81/85 pickups, original schaller floyd rose (i replaced the fr special), and elixir nanoweb 10s strings.

Ive had the guitar for several years now, but over the last year something has been really bugging me and i cant fix it. The high e string has a dampened sound when plucked open. It doesnt occur when fretted. I pluck, it sounds sort of dampened and weak, and then theres a bit of a high pitched ringing (happens plugged and unplugged).

Ive tried replacing the strings a few times.
There isnt fret buzz (ive got perfect clearance from all frets).
I tried cleaning out the high e string slot and string block.
I bought new nut clamps, cleaned out the nut slot, put a little graphite and lip alm in it.
I tried raising and lowering the bar past the nut.
Ive tried playing other C notes to see if there was weird resonance (the guitar is in c standard), but it seems like there isnt any.
It happens whether or not the locking clamps are in.

I cant figure this out for the life of me. Anybody think of something else? I love the guitar otherwise
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Last edited by Watterboy at May 15, 2014,
If it doesn't do it when fretted, and you've tried different strings, that pretty much narrows it down to something with the nut., You've already done the things I would try, so I don't know...
A long time ago one of my guitars was like that on the high E only too. I ended up getting it re-set up. Not sure exactly what was doing it but it hasn't done it since. I don't know much about working on guitars but, if you don't either maybe try taking it in? Mine was like 20.00 for a complete look over at my local store.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
is the string fitting in the groove properly? not on top of the notch, not in the middle but resting all the way in. the only reason for this thought is if you using a thicker string due to being tuned that low and it needs to be filed.

you may have already done this though.

i had the problem once, and it happened on three or four times in a row (.11-49 D'addario's), i was only haveing problems with the e string, so i butchered a few packs. i called them, they were very friendly and sent out a 10 pack of the strings along with some other small things. it got here on the second day. i just could have had a bad batch/ the remainder went on other guitars with no issues. just the one guitar. the ones he sent were perfectly fine.

i would recommend if it isn't my crap-shoots take it to a tech.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks for the replies guys. Its a original floyd rose locking nut, so the string seems to be all the way in the groove. I tried lubricating the high e string groove with graphite and lip alm but it didnt help. I could try sanding it a bit incase there are any weird edges. But I did run a tiny pocket screwdriver along the inside of the groove and I didnt feel it get hung up on anything. I cant figure this out for the life of me. I may have to bring it to a tech like recommended.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

I folded a small piece of electrical tape and placed it under the e string at the locking nut...worked for me...
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"
Quote by Watterboy
Thanks for the replies guys. Its a original floyd rose locking nut, so the string seems to be all the way in the groove. I tried lubricating the high e string groove with graphite and lip alm but it didnt help. I could try sanding it a bit incase there are any weird edges. But I did run a tiny pocket screwdriver along the inside of the groove and I didnt feel it get hung up on anything. I cant figure this out for the life of me. I may have to bring it to a tech like recommended.

i have never had to bring anything into a tech yet, i have done a lot of work myself, but there is the point that i imagine where the frustration and irritation out weighs a few bucks.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/