Hi, I'm looking to take the next step and purchase my first half stack and head. I've grown tired of the crappy distortion on my Fender Frontman 212r combo, as I pretty much only use the clean channel and run pedals through it.

That being said, I want to upsize to something that will give me a full tone and work great with OD, distortion, and effect pedals. I'm only 17 so my budget is tight, not willing to spend more than 1500$. I can definitely work with used.

I own an Epiphone ES335 pro, Epiphone Les Paul Custom and Schecter Synyster Gates Special. Some of my pedals include the MXR phase 90, Ibanez TS9, Metal Muff, Boss Metalcore, and I have an ISP noise gate.

I want to be playing around the genre of Punk, Alternative, and Metal. Bands like: Green Day, Blink-182, Rise Against, MCR, Oasis, Radiohead, Sum 41, and Billy Talent. On the heavier side: Metallica, Trivium, System of a Down, BFMV, Dream Theater, GNR, and Avenged Sevenfold.

I understand these bands use countless tones so obviously I'm looking for something diverse but in that general category. Something I can use clean/OD, but also get a ballsy and kickass distortion out of.

I'm very new to the tube/head&cab amplification world, so I definitely need some recommendations from the experienced to go along with my research.

On a side note: I've played my friend's Orange half stack once, got a killer tone out of that. I do not recall the model. Even a brand recommendation would help.

Thank you!
i am slightly hesitant to recommend the usual ultra+, xxx, jsx, but you may like them may not be the metal you want or the punk. probably woudn't be great on both, but i would give them a shot.

for some reason i am thinking a mesa dual rec (ideally the two channel) could be good. nice and chunky. you can get good cleans, and they have a lot of gain (more than most would ever need). but they are really loose, but i enjoy mine
i love my trem-o-verb (slightly different) but 90% the same

or even a MKIV. you may want a dirt pedal or two, but i really like mine. very flexible. great cleans if you want that, and the R2 channel isn't the most useful without a boost, a timmy is what i am using and it does great, and a zendrive in the lead channel for the liquid sweet. gain. very tight amp over all.

you could get a marshall DSL (i prefer the 50 over the 100). would need more gain to get metal, a boost would get you pretty close. i am not really sure if you want a brittish voicing though.

jet city could be an option, although i am personally not a fan (owned a JCA2112RC and a JCA50H), but a lot of people love them.

i don't know where the kranks are at now, but the rev+ is pretty good, as well as the 1980.

stay away from bugera/ they have lots of QC issues (they claim the fix it but its still happening) and some have literally caught fire. they look nice and are cheap, but they are shit. i think a majority would agree with me. search something like "bugera smoking" on youtube, something should be on there.

as far as cabs go, most would probably be good with V30's. i like mesa and orange cabinets the best (non-custom) but have 6 or 7 more myself in addition to that...
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Well, a half stack sounds a bit too much, especially for home use, IMO (unless you're gigging in large venues). I remember playing through a 22W Fender Deluxe Reverb on 2 and it was a bit uncontrollable (tubes always give WAY more volume in the same wattage than solid state). Maybe you're better off getting a nice tube combo amp, such as the Fender Blues Junior (15W and takes pedals very well) or the Vox AC15 (also 15W, quite loud, but don't use the Tube Screamer with it, it doesn't like it). I think either will serve you well, and your pedals will take care of the heavier stuff. But if you do decide on a half stack, I recommend a Marshall JTM45 2245 (30W, so plenty of headroom there) as far as heads go. Happy amp hunting!!!
Since you're on a tight budget and only have $1500, check out the Randall RM (whatever size suits you) and modules. Its a good way to go if you like variety but scoff at modeling amps.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Randall RM is sorta the flavour of the month around here, but it may actually be a great option here. I'll also do what I usually do and got and sing the praises of the Egnater Renegade. I bought mine a few years ago, when I was 16 or so, and was more or less in the same boat as you. It's still with me today, great unit, epitomises the jack of all trades amp.
Quote by paulltheviking
Hi, I'm looking to take the next step and purchase my first half stack and head. I've grown tired of the crappy distortion on my Fender Frontman 212r combo, as I pretty much only use the clean channel and run pedals through it.

That being said, I want to upsize to something that will give me a full tone and work great with OD, distortion, and effect pedals. I'm only 17 so my budget is tight,
not willing to spend more than 1500$. I can definitely work with used.

I own an Epiphone ES335 pro, Epiphone Les Paul Custom and Schecter Synyster Gates Special. Some of my pedals include the MXR phase 90, Ibanez TS9, Metal Muff, Boss Metalcore, and I have an ISP noise gate.

I want to be playing around the genre of Punk, Alternative, and Metal. Bands like: Green Day, Blink-182, Rise Against, MCR, Oasis, Radiohead, Sum 41, and Billy Talent. On the heavier side: Metallica, Trivium, System of a Down, BFMV, Dream Theater, GNR, and Avenged Sevenfold.

I understand these bands use countless tones so obviously I'm looking for something diverse but in that general category. Something I can use clean/OD, but also get a ballsy and kickass distortion out of.

I'm very new to the tube/head&cab amplification world, so I definitely need some recommendations from the experienced to go along with my research.

On a side note: I've played my friend's Orange half stack once, got a killer tone out of that. I do not recall the model. Even a brand recommendation would help.

Thank you!

With that budget and those tonal requirements, you'll need to audition a bunch of amps! You can snag a used Orange Rockerverb and a 212 with that budget, since you liked the Orange. Also, check out the Soldano HotRod 100 Plus, Mesa Roadster, Peavey JSX, Laney VH100R, Fryette Deliverance (UltraLead if you're lucky), etc. Have fun cranking them in the loud room!
Randall RM would be perfect.
Have a look at some of the aftermarket modules available to stick in it:

http://salvationmods.com/index.php
http://jadedfaithmods.com/mts-mods.html
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I play at lot of stuff similar to what you mentioned and I use a Laney IRT60 head going through an Orange PPC212OB cab, overall it cost me £900, which I think is about $1500. The amp is marketed as a metal amp but is actually a lot more versatile than that, it covers cleans pretty well and you can get great alternative or classic rock tones out of it. It's a bit like a Mesa Mark V but a quarter the price. And you know what, while the Mesa is obviously a better amp I really don't think it's four times better.
Quote by CostasNoir
Well, a half stack sounds a bit too much, especially for home use,
Amps have volume controls for that reason y' know, and bigger amps usually have even more controls, so since even a 5w amp cranked is pretty damn loud TS may as well get an amp for the features instead of the power.
Quote by CostasNoir
tubes always give WAY more volume in the same wattage than solid state
That's because power ratings in guitar amps are made up, not because tubes are inherently louder than transistors for *magic* or stuff.
Quote by CostasNoir
But if you do decide on a half stack, I recommend a Marshall JTM45 2245 (30W, so plenty of headroom there) as far as heads go.
How in the world would you play dream theater on a 2245?
You could use pedals, but with that money TS could get a good amp that does that already.

I'd say a DSL50 or DSL100 or a Soldano Hot Rod or a JCA100HDM or an ENGL powerball II.
As for the cab, the mesa rectifier oversized 2x12 or 4x12 or the big ENGL one with v30s or the orange PPC212 or PPC412 with the back closed.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Ippon
With that budget and those tonal requirements, you'll need to audition a bunch of amps! You can snag a used Orange Rockerverb and a 212 with that budget, since you liked the Orange. Also, check out the Soldano HotRod 100 Plus, Mesa Roadster, Peavey JSX, Laney VH100R, Fryette Deliverance (UltraLead if you're lucky), etc. Have fun cranking them in the loud room!

This, the Marshall DSL, and the Randall RM.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Thanks for all the replies, I've taken every answer into consideration but I'm still pretty unsure. There's a few ads on kijiji for orange 4x12 cabs, all around $600. I was thinking of picking one up and going from there, but what head would go well with these kind of cabs? They contain V30s, which I've heard many positive things about. Obviously I would not purchase the cab without fully deciding on a head. Again what head could I use in combination with orange 4x12 cabs for the style of music I play?
How about a quarter stack? You save money on the cab, and, since you're looking at Orange anyway, the PPC212 is a sexy sounding cab. I've never had a problem with volume, or bass spread or anything with mine, and I gig.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
How about a quarter stack? You save money on the cab, and, since you're looking at Orange anyway, the PPC212 is a sexy sounding cab. I've never had a problem with volume, or bass spread or anything with mine, and I gig.

+3.1415 i have two orange 2x12"s. i love them.

just make sure your amp works at 16ohm (i found a few of my amps didn't) but nothing modern.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
After many years of gigging with 1/2 and 3/4 stacks, I've gone to a 2x12. The Randall RM100 combo is just like a 1/4 stack because it's friggin huge and closed back. I run it on and angled amp stand. Very happy with it. Open backed 2x12 combos never satisfied me before unless I sat them on a 4x12.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
There's many excellent suggestions here. Since your target is so wide, I highly recommend heading to some local guitar shops and audition different amps out. Try to get a feel of the type of amp you want and we can help you narrow your search
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]