Hey all, somewhat of a newbie here.

Long time bass player here - just for fun, occasional jamming with friends, nothing regular or organized... and I'm looking for a new bass. I've narrowed it down to two guitars in my price range: The Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass or the Ibanez SR300.

The Ibanez series has a narrow body which I'm sure will take some getting used to but is quite aesthetically pleasing, while the Squier 70's Jazz Bass weighs a ton. With that said I think I like the sound of the Squier a little better - it's smooth and deep which is the sound I'm going for. Correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like the Ibanez sounds a little more "tinny" and better suited for pop/metal?

The Ibanez has a slightly longer neck with 24 frets vs the Squier with 20 frets, not sure how much this matters in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not going to ask which is "better" because I know it's personal preference. I'm leaning towards the Ibanez but could use some advice before I shell out the $300+ which is a lot of money to me. Thanks in advance!

Oh and "shell out a few more bucks for the <insert more expensive brand/model here>" isn't a viable option unfortunately
The Ibanez is active and tbh it is a lot more versatile than the Squier. The ibby is capable of doing most genres of music.
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
Both basses are versatile in that you can use them for any style or genre.

IIRC, both are made the Indonesian Cort factory which is turning out some great stuff these days. The build quality is going to be equal (though both are capable of being lemons.)

24 frets is a luxury, it's only worth paying for if you're going to use them on a regular basis (you aren't.) Active EQs are similar an can be a real pain in the arse if you don't actually want to use it, you'll forget and leave your bass plugged in overnight several times.

The jazz has more modding possibilities, if you're into that kind of thing, as most aftermarket parts are built with Fender designs in mind. That said, this bass is certainly very ****ing heavy. I had to sell my 5 string VM Jazz due to back problems and I'm not exactly small and feeble.

What bass do you currently use? You should note that the Ibanez has a very narrow neck but it has a nice satin (slippery) finish. The jazz has a 'normal' sized neck but it has a glossy lacquer finish (sticky).

If you want a clear recommendation out of those two options, go for the Ibanez. I'm a Squier fanboy but I just really love Jazzes and Precisions. A good midground between the two would be the Squier Jaguar Bass (the active one.)

If you want a better recommendation, get something second hand. You could get an SR500 (a damn good bass) or a Warwick Rockbass of some sort. $300ish gives you a lot of wiggle room.

Again, which bass are you using at the moment? If it has solid contruction then it might be worth upgrading.
Quote by Spaz91

Again, which bass are you using at the moment? If it has solid contruction then it might be worth upgrading.

Thanks for the feedback. I just got rid of an old Samick jazz bass which I LOVED, had it for 20 years but the end finally came - the neck became warped and all the frets were buzzing. It had a thin neck, perfect body and great sound for a lower end model. This picture is the closest I could find online:

http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/samick-jazz-basse-1990-301320.jpg .

If they still made them I'd buy another in a heartbeat but unfortunately I'm stuck making the decision I mentioned above.
Okay, not such a good base for modding.

Got a to guitar shop that has both (i.e. all of them.) And play them both to death. Ask if they do any deals with either, if any come with free goodies, etc. On paper they're too even for anyone to give an unbiased opinion.

/unhelpful comment.
Quote by Spaz91
Okay, not such a good base for modding.

Got a to guitar shop that has both (i.e. all of them.) And play them both to death. Ask if they do any deals with either, if any come with free goodies, etc. On paper they're too even for anyone to give an unbiased opinion.

/unhelpful comment.

I don't think its an unhelpful comment. Really its going to come down to which one you are most comfortable with and has the level of playability you want. They only way you are going to find out is to play both and make a decision.
Really to me it's a flip of the coin if you like them both, I have an SR405 and it's biggest weakness to me was the electronics, I guess the word bland is the best way I could describe them so I've ended up putting more $$ in the electronics than I paid for the bass (EMG P/J pickups and active EQ). My next purchase will probably be a 5 string VM jazz as the SR is hard to lose the hard rock/metal tone for me.
So I spent a solid 2 hours in the store playing the Ibanez and Squier Modified Jazz. I really wanted to love the Ibanez but something about it just rubbed me the wrong way. Even the salesperson in the store gave me the schpiel about how he has 2 of them himself and he loves them, etc.. etc... And I couldn't get past the short neck of the Squier, just didn't feel right. After trying everything there I ended up with the Yamaha TRBx304. It was the same price as the Ibanez and I love the sound. Apparently it's a fairly new guitar according to the salesman. I have a few weeks to play with it until the return policy expires so we'll see what happens.

Thank you everyone for your words of advice!