Noob question here:
What do you call the variation/type of chords used by ACDC? I've also Foo Fighters along with some other bands use them. I'm talking about chords such as these

E|---------------
B|--3-----1-----3-
G|--2-----------0-
D|--0-----3-----0-
A|--0-----3-----0-
E|--2-----------3-
You gotta learn about chord construction for this and look at the intervals between the notes used (know the fretboard or count using chromatic scale). What I'm about to say will probably just be confusing when you don't know this - I know that because I didn't bother learning about this myself until a few months ago

The first chord is a D/F#. It is a D chord with an F# bass. It's got the 3 notes in a D major: D, F# and A. It's just inverted as F#,A,D (A,D). This is a somewhat common chord voicing in various styles of guitar music.

The 2nd "chord" has only 2 notes: C,F (C) and therefore isn't really a chord. Depending how you look at it, it can be an inverted F powerchord F5/C - but it can also work as a Csus4(no5) - and which one it is depends on the context. Like, you could tell from the chord progression in the song or what the other instruments are playing (what it "sounds" like).

3rd chord is a Gsus2 (at least in all likelihood, but theoretically this can also function as other chords). As you can see from the shape it's like a normal G but the 3rd is not there, it's replaced. It's G,A,D (G,D) and not your normal G,B,D

It's better to post this in "Musician Talk" as that's where the theory guys hang out. The reason this is good to learn is because there are tons and tons of ways to make chords on a guitar and trying to memorizing the shape or tab doesn't do much good (it really doesn't). You'll have to study this eventually and it's very worth it.
Hey man,

Just to add to the previous answer, those are really common rock chords. AC/DC played a large part in making those chords really relevant and common, IMO.

I think it best to just not pay attention to the semantics of naming the chords. Yes, you've got a D with a F# root, then a sus4, then a sus2. But it's probably just easier and more fun to remember the shapes of the chords and that they sound good.
@Buttcheex Well yeah I mean it's easier and more fun to just remember the shapes, like you said, but I'm very interested in the theory and how they've come to be. But I do get what you're saying.
@fanapathy Ah alright, thanks man.
Moved to MT as that's where all the theory bods hang out
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The two basic AC/DC chords are D/F# (2 0 0 2 3 x) and G5 (3 x 0 0 3 3) - they are used in many AC/DC songs. I've never seen 3 0 0 0 3 x in an AC/DC song and x 3 3 x 1 x seems rare too.

But yeah, AC/DC pretty much only uses major and power chords.

To know the name of a chord, you need to learn the note names and how to construct chords.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115