Hello,

Yesterday I was watching the movie Imaginaerum of Nightwish. In which they played this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKsIdVpxOME

When I saw this guitar, I instantly wanted to know what guitar it was. Found out it was a Gibson ES 335. Unfortunatly this guitar is unaffordable for me. So I found out there is a Epiphone which looks exactly like the Gibson.
I am considering going for this guitar, but I need to know a few things.
It is obviously not a metal guitar. And I play almost only metal. So I need to know if it is smart to buy this guitar, and then change the pickups to some heavier stuff.
Also, the guitar is Semi-Acoustic, does that matter when I change the pickups? Do you hear (major) differences from a normal electric guitar?

THanks
Quote by Horcruxy

It is obviously not a metal guitar. And I play almost only metal. So I need to know if it is smart to buy this guitar,

No.

Re-read the above.
The ES line is probably not the most popular guitar for metalist, however they do have some "badassness" in them i.e. Eric Johnson, Dave Grohl, Warren Haynes, and of course Chuck Berry ha ha. BUT don't take our word for it: Hit up a local guitar outlet, plug an ES into something high gain and let it rip, see if you like it. You will never know unless you try it.
It's a semi hallow body so at high gain you are likely to have feedback issues. Noel Gallagher uses these with fairly high classic rock gain but nothing like metal. I've never seen one used for metal.
Hello,
thanks for the replys so far.
But I am still wondering if I could use this guitar when I replace the pickups with like EMG ones or so?
If you play almost exclusively metal than don't get an ES.
Honestly they wouldn't suit the style, and in a few months you'd be regretting it. Sure it would be perfect for that one song, but if you're going to be playing a lot of other more 'standard' metal stuff get a solid-body electric with humbuckers.
What music do you play?
What other gear do you have? (ie amp)

The tone in that video was not produced by EMG's, I'd say they were standard Gibson humbuckers. If you were to replace the humbuckers with EMG's you wouldn't get this tone.

But at the end of the day the only way to know is to go to a guitar store and play an ES through a high-gain amp. You might love it
Watch for that squeal,I gigged a Gibson ES 333(i think it was).Nightmare at highish gain.
I am not looking for this guitar for this certain song. I REALLY love the looks of the guitar. And I'd like to just get this guitar, and build it so I can play some metal stuff on it.
Im playing for a few years now, but I'm sooo bad with sounds n stuff. I just play, thats it.
Normally I play Metallica, Nightwish, Arch Enemy and I try some random songs.
My amp is a Randall KH 75, and I use a Boss Metal Zone pedal. My current guitar is a Tanglewood Les Paul sunburst.
Quote by Horcruxy
I am not looking for this guitar for this certain song. I REALLY love the looks of the guitar. And I'd like to just get this guitar, and build it so I can play some metal stuff on it.
Im playing for a few years now, but I'm sooo bad with sounds n stuff. I just play, thats it.
Normally I play Metallica, Nightwish, Arch Enemy and I try some random songs.
My amp is a Randall KH 75, and I use a Boss Metal Zone pedal. My current guitar is a Tanglewood Les Paul sunburst.

An Epiphone ES doesn't suit your needs, IMHO.

If you really like it and want to own it just because of its looks, then go for it. But its sound probably isn't going to satisfy you, considering the music genres you're planning on using it for.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
If you like the looks, get a BB King Lucile they look the part, but are solid body guitars (and quite heavy) so it will work with hi-gain. You will deff need to swap pickups out though
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at May 18, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly
If you like the looks, get a BB King Lucile they look the part, but are solid body guitars (and quite heavy) so it will work with hi-gain. You will deff need to swap pickups out though

That's just wrong....

Lucilles are not solidbodies - they are semi-hollows, just like an ES-355

without f-holes and with a backside control-cavity cover
Last edited by paruwi at May 18, 2014,
Quote by paruwi
That's just wrong....

Lucilles are not solidbodies - they are semi-hollows, just like an ES-355

without f-holes and with a backside control-cavity cover

Oh, I was told by a guitar shop they were solid Tell me it wouldn't get you some looks

Isn't there a solid body variation of the ES body style?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Oh, I was told by a guitar shop they were solid Tell me it wouldn't get you some looks

Isn't there a solid body variation of the ES body style?

Not from Epi
There is a knack to playing high gain on a semi bodied guitar and it takes a bit of practice to get it under control. Part of the beauty of these guitars is the 'woody' tone they impart into your sound. Using high gain will mask much of that character and be a handful to control. These guitars are very good but perhaps not best suited to your present style.
The classic example of a hollow body guitar and high volume/gain is always Ted Nugent although there are vids of Gary moore making a 335 sing with some gain and volume.
There is a lot more to 335s than their looks but you must be ready to embrace all of that, perhaps as a second guitar?