more expensive, more hassle, more cables, one more pedal, longer setup time and breakdown time etc.

If you have roadies and infinite money, they're about the same. However with infinite money, you can get one perfect amp that has everything you need in one package
Quote by flexiblemile
more expensive, more hassle, more cables, one more pedal, longer setup time and breakdown time etc.

If you have roadies and infinite money, they're about the same. However with infinite money, you can get one perfect amp that has everything you need in one package

All of this.

Also, a lot of venues barely have enough stage room for a full band anyway, if you started taking more than the absolute minimum you'd really struggle to fit it all on stage.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at May 16, 2014,
Using the same cab means you have to use a load switcher like the tonebone. More expense. More shit to set up, and if some idiot (and they're everywhere) hooks it up wrong, expensive things go boom. And, it's just a PITA.
I have three channels. I don't even think there is a load switcher for three heads. So I'd need a truckload of amps and cabs, and for what? Something I can do with one head/combo? Do the math.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Buy a Mark V?
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Mark V's are soooo expensive tho Just like every mesa/boogie amp

Okay, so it's a buttload of pain in the butt But we're a trio and atm we want to rig shit ourselves so if I stack the heads on eachother space shouldn't be a problem. And the tonebone ABY switch wasn't that expensive, and if I'd buy say a Jet City for the clean, I wouldn't be up in high numbers and if it works it's especially cheap considering I can keep my JCM 800

And no, I don't want to go clean by turning down my guitar's volume.

If I'd get a multi channel amp I'd probably get a JCM 900. I know people hate the fact that it's a hybrid, but it doesn sound pretty similar to the JCM 800 2203/2204 IMO.
DSL does a better job.

Randall RM100.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
get a volume pedal and put it out front?

keep the 800 screw cleans
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
I meant JCM2000.

In my Randall RM100, I have a Fender Tweed, Marshall and a Mesa Mark.
One of the best purchases I've ever made.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Using the same cab means you have to use a load switcher like the tonebone. More expense. More shit to set up, and if some idiot (and they're everywhere) hooks it up wrong, expensive things go boom. And, it's just a PITA.
I have three channels. I don't even think there is a load switcher for three heads. So I'd need a truckload of amps and cabs, and for what? Something I can do with one head/combo? Do the math.

There used to be a number of rack products to switch three or four heads. All discontinued or the manufacturers went out of business though. CAE still makes custom ones to switch as many heads as you want. And they're easy enough to build if you can code a micro controller.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
But he should just get a Rhodes anyway, shouldn't he Matt?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the most knowledgeable on amps, but this part is simply not true.

Partially solid state distortion, I thought that made the amp a hybrid?

I too am a "amp noob", so I could be wrong

EDIT: You and your band's songs are pretty sweet btw
Last edited by juliusxxrock at May 16, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
But he should just get a Rhodes anyway, shouldn't he Matt?

Yep.

Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the most knowledgeable on amps, but this part is simply not true.

Yes, it is 100% true.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by juliusxxrock
Partially solid state distortion, I thought that made the amp a hybrid?

I too am a "amp noob", so I could be wrong

EDIT: You and your band's songs are pretty sweet btw

Oh, hey, thanks man! I didn't think people actually clicked sig links ever.

I just did a little bit of snooping only to find that people are on both sides of the fence on it being a hybrid.

Whatever, I want one and they're awesome.
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
Oh, hey, thanks man! I didn't think people actually clicked sig links ever.

I just did a little bit of snooping only to find that people are on both sides of the fence on it being a hybrid.

Whatever, I want one and they're awesome.

Yeah, I'm into ska/punk and the JCM 900 seems pretty neat for that
I have one and I've modded it. There are shitloads of op-amps in the signal path even before V1. Channel 1 has a tubescreamer style circuit in front and channel 2 has a fuzz box circuit jammed in there. The Master volumes are done via op-amps too. There are something like 15 op-amps in a JCM900DR and 9 clipping diodes.
It's a friggin hybrid. Don't believe me? Here's the proof.
http://drtube.com/schematics/marshall/cd0189-iss7.pdf

If you can see something other than a hybrid in that schematic then you've got a wicked imagination.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 16, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
I have one and I've modded it. There are shitloads of op-amps in the signal path even before V1. Channel 1 has a tubescreamer style circuit in front and channel 2 has a fuzz box circuit jammed in there. The Master volumes are done via op-amps too. There are something like 15 op-amps in a JCM900DR and 9 clipping diodes.
It's a friggin hybrid. Don't believe me? Here's the proof.
http://drtube.com/schematics/marshall/cd0189-iss7.pdf

If you can see something other than a hybrid in that schematic then you've got a wicked imagination.

I think that's where the disagreement comes in? A conventional 'hybrid' has a tube pre and SS power or vice versa, and 'all tube' is generally considered tube pre and power, so when a manufacturer adds what amounts to pedal circuits in line, while it still meets the commonly accepted definition of 'all tube', it's decidedly NOT an 'all tube signal path', right?

Yet putting a pedal in front of a Plexi doesn't make it a hybrid...so does it really matter if we instead put the pedal inside the case? (Of course, because you don't have the 'removal' option, short of major butchery...)

I'm with you for the most part in that it's a 'hybrid' because it uses both SS and tube components in the signal path, but I'll also concede it's not what we usually mean when we discuss hybrid amps.

Thoughts?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Putting a pedal in front of a Plexi doesn't make it a hybrid because it doesn't actually change anything about the amp. Putting it inside the chassis would make it a hybrid. Any internal combination of transistors/op amps and tubes in the signal path is a hybrid. Any other definition is arbitrary and useless.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

If you want to switch amps like that and you are (a) richer than me and (b) prepared to wait, then Pete Cornish makes the best their is. Custom made, road worthy and warrantied to the hilt.
Quote by deano_l
If you want to switch amps like that and you are (a) richer than me and (b) prepared to wait, then Pete Cornish makes the best their is. Custom made, road worthy and warrantied to the hilt.

What are the pros. with the Pete compared to the tonebone VT amp switcher?
Just curious, I'm not that rich
Neither am I, but they will be custom made to your specs to switch However many amps into however many cabs, and via whatever effects you want. Built to withstand a lifetime on the road. I believe.
Well, Pete has always been great in my dealings with him, meeting or exceeding build dates, but his switchers aren't the end all be all. They're extremely well built, but they're not controlled via MIDI. That alone would make it useless for me, and most guys looking to use a multi amp set up. Patches and instant recall aren't possible. You still do the tap dance, the switches are just laid out more logically in his big systems.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

JVM - done
Jackson: DKMG w/Zakk Wylde EMGs
Fender: Fat Strat HSS
Epiphone: Les Paul Custom w/SD Pickups
Dean: Performer E Acoustic/Electric
Vox: DA5
Vox JamVox
Digitech: GNX4 Workstation
Digitech: EX-7 Distortion Factory
Boss DR-880
MAudio Bx5a Deluxe
Quote by juliusxxrock
Aight. I don't think I'd need more than 2 heads, that being said if I even buy another head+amp selector since it's an expensive operation

Unless there are any cheaper alternatives to the Pete and the tonebone VT?

Radial Headbone is probably the cheapest. There's also the Metro switcher, but I think it's just over $300.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by Arby911
I think that's where the disagreement comes in? A conventional 'hybrid' has a tube pre and SS power or vice versa, and 'all tube' is generally considered tube pre and power, so when a manufacturer adds what amounts to pedal circuits in line, while it still meets the commonly accepted definition of 'all tube', it's decidedly NOT an 'all tube signal path', right?

Yet putting a pedal in front of a Plexi doesn't make it a hybrid...so does it really matter if we instead put the pedal inside the case? (Of course, because you don't have the 'removal' option, short of major butchery...)

I'm with you for the most part in that it's a 'hybrid' because it uses both SS and tube components in the signal path, but I'll also concede it's not what we usually mean when we discuss hybrid amps.

Thoughts?
Look at how much heavy lifting is done by op-amps in the signal path in that circuit. And you can't bypass them. It's a ****ing hybrid.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
TS, with all the money you want to spend on this setup, you could just invest into a kick ass head instead.

As Cath mentioned before, the JCM2000 DSL is dirt cheap and will do exactly what you want.

Also, Jet City for cleans? What are you smoking?

JCM900? If you're not talking about an SL-X, you also need to lay down the pipe.

And that's just cheap stuff - if you sold your JCM800, you could get something like an Orange Rockerverb, which has an amazing clean channel.

The Marshall JVM is also worth looking at, as mentioned. If it happens to be your cup of tea.

But at the end of the day, what we really need to know is... this:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25873058&postcount=1
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by juliusxxrock
Aight. I don't think I'd need more than 2 heads, that being said if I even buy another head+amp selector since it's an expensive operation

Unless there are any cheaper alternatives to the Pete and the tonebone VT?

I used to switch heads and maintain stereo cabinets (a pair of 2x12s, each one was stereo), and both the Cornish and the Tonebones work just fine.

Finally decided that it was all a sketchy PIA, however, in terms of what could happen if someone hooked it up incorrectly. So all of that is now in the THIRD bin (the other two bins are all the old FX pedals, neatly and compactly arranged).

When the Pod X3 came out, you could run two separate channels (amp, FX,cabs) at once, and the HD continues that. And I can run it out to two separate amps and cabs (or a stereo setup or mono). A used Pod X3 is WAY cheaper than a head switcher.
How about a stereo 4x12 cab & an AB/Y switcher? Each head uses half the cab, so no dummy load problems, as long as the ohms are compatible with the heads.
My Gear:- A guitar, a guitar lead, a guitar amplifier. Or sometimes just an acoustic guitar!
Quote by anguskilminster
How about a stereo 4x12 cab & an AB/Y switcher? Each head uses half the cab, so no dummy load problems, as long as the ohms are compatible with the heads.

as soon as you choose only A or B there will no longer be a load attached to that amp. and if you were just going to use both heads all the time then there would be no need for an AB/Y.

plus there may be some type of problem using a standard AB/Y box that is only made for smaller guitar signals, you could possibly fry a component (switch) by passing too much signal through it. i am unsure on this part though, but i do see switches rated for 3 amps @12V or 15 amps at 24V, etc.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
as soon as you choose only A or B there will no longer be a load attached to that amp. and if you were just going to use both heads all the time then there would be no need for an AB/Y.

plus there may be some type of problem using a standard AB/Y box that is only made for smaller guitar signals, you could possibly fry a component (switch) by passing too much signal through it. i am unsure on this part though, but i do see switches rated for 3 amps @12V or 15 amps at 24V, etc.

I'm pretty sure what he is saying is hook one amp to say the left 2 speakers and the other to the right 2 speakers on a 4x12 cab and put the switch before the amp inputs so the amp will always have a load from the speakers even if it's not being used.