I love open chords. I have created some cool little rhythms/riffs with them.

Question is I am finding myself using only two of the notes instead of three.

For example: A lot of times when I play G, I only play the E and A strings and never get to the e string. And for C I usually end up playing the A and D strings and don't use the B string.

Now, it isn't all the time as I use the full C chord in another progression I am working on but I find myself liking the sound in certain situations.

I guess what I am asking is aside from the "if it sounds good, it's ok" type of response, is this a common practice? Or generally discouraged? I am a bit of a beginner and can key lots of chords and "know" the chords, but I am working hard on my rhythm playing because it is horrible.

I am certain I am doing this for the sounds, not as a "cheat" because sometimes the full chord is too much (I do play with a little light crunch).
Epi G400 '66 Reissue
w/ Airline Vintage Voiced Single Coil Pickups
yeah its common practice alright, people love using fragments of chords, inversions and triads and nobody is gonna put you in guitar jail for doing so, actually noone gives a shit so keep on keeping on.
Yeah, there's no cheating in music. If what you're playing is what you want to hear, then it's what you want to play.

If your G major example, if you're playing the notes G and a B, it will likely be heard as a G major chord.

And yes, it is indeed common practice. You've got, for instance, power chords, which are just the root and the fifth. They will usually imply a major or minor chord (depending on context) in the listener's ear.

Another common example is when using extended chords (chords with notes beyond just the root, third and fifth), where it's common to not play the fifth in order to be able to play the other notes without it sounding too cluttered or being too hard/impossible to play.

Distortion does make chords sound more cluttered because it enhances some of the higher harmonics. That's one of the reasons why power chords are used so often in hard rock and metal. So it's no surprise that your light crunch makes full chords sound worse.
Quote by Killsocket
I love open chords. I have created some cool little rhythms/riffs with them.

Question is I am finding myself using only two of the notes instead of three.

For example: A lot of times when I play G, I only play the E and A strings and never get to the e string. And for C I usually end up playing the A and D strings and don't use the B string.

Now, it isn't all the time as I use the full C chord in another progression I am working on but I find myself liking the sound in certain situations.

I guess what I am asking is aside from the "if it sounds good, it's ok" type of response, is this a common practice? Or generally discouraged? I am a bit of a beginner and can key lots of chords and "know" the chords, but I am working hard on my rhythm playing because it is horrible.

I am certain I am doing this for the sounds, not as a "cheat" because sometimes the full chord is too much (I do play with a little light crunch).

There is no "cheat. If it sounds good to you, and is what you want to make, that's fine. There are no laws rules or governments that insist that if you play a guitar or create a full song that you must make a full chord. If it's valid to you, it's valid.

There is no generally discouraged "anything" chord wise, so if you understand that... that it doesn't exist, it eliminates your question.

Best,

Sean