so what exactly do you need to achieve that warm sound that you hear from a tube amp?
Is one power tube enough?
one preamp tube ?
a combination ?
or is it a case of more is better?
do other component's matter more then we think?
Is a matter of design?
something else?

someone said :

Each and every component in a tube amp contributes to its sound.

To put it another way:
A single bad link in a chain can contribute to the entire chain being of poor quality.

And if the design itself is bad, good components aren't going to help.

someone else said :

the reason is actually that SS guitar amps suck pretty bad in general, though they would sound good if someone made them good

then someone else said :

1. The Fender Champ - one preamp tube, one power tube.
2. Mesa Boogie Mark <insert personal favourite> - a gazillion of everything and shit you've never even imagined; and there'll be three of them.

any more help so I can understand ?
You're either a troll or a f#@king fuktard. Get out.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at May 16, 2014,
Quote by mousakathegreat
so what exactly do you need to achieve that warm sound that you hear from a tube amp?
Is one power tube enough?
one preamp tube ?
a combination ?
or is it a case of more is better?
do other component's matter more then we think?
Is a matter of design?
something else?

is every BMW the ultimate driving machine? 'the ultimate' would kinda imply a singular vehicle and not a whole line of vehicles.

how much McDonalds do you have to eat before You're Loving It?

could Coca-Cola be anything but a Real Thing, but is it The only Real Thing?

these are advertising slogans, they are meant to stir a response to you and get you to associate a product with that response. but when you actually pay attention to what the slogan is actually saying you'll find it is kinda empty of any meaningful content and full of intended emotional impact.

while 'Warm Sound' isn't necessarily a corporate slogan it is still pretty much the same thing. it's the kinda crap a salesman says to you when he is trying to sell you a product and he is trying to invoke an emotional response (desire) rather than trying to educate you about the product.

therefore i would say don't look too deeply into the objective physics of the 'Warm Tube Amp Sound'. you will get nothing but opinions, and chances are they won't even be very good opinions that will tend to be shallow and contradict other opinions given by other members.

Quote by mousakathegreat
someone said :

Each and every component in a tube amp contributes to its sound.

*citation needed

Quote by mousakathegreat
To put it another way:
A single bad link in a chain can contribute to the entire chain being of poor quality.

conjecture

this statement is a pretty extreme interpretation of a very generalized statement. i compare this to:

"God made sin so God must hate humans"

Quote by mousakathegreat
And if the design itself is bad, good components aren't going to help.

even more conjecture. it seems you have no idea what warrants a 'good component' or a 'bad component' let alone how you connect these components up to one another or how these components interact with one another in the circuit.

i am not saying this statement is false, i am saying it is too broad, too general and stated from a POV that is completely ignorant about design to begin with. this is a not a very profound contribution to guitar amplifier knowledge, this is just a statement that sounds correct from an individual with no specialized knowledge about the subject.

Quote by mousakathegreat
someone else said :

the reason is actually that SS guitar amps suck pretty bad in general, though they would sound good if someone made them good

*citation needed

Quote by mousakathegreat
then someone else said

1. The Fender Champ - one preamp tube, one power tube.
2. Mesa Boogie Mark <insert personal favourite> - a gazillion of everything and shit you've never even imagined; and there'll be three of them.

*citation needed

i doubt someone said that, and if they said anything like that then this quote is way outta context.

Quote by mousakathegreat
any more help so I can understand ?

start with the basics and spend a couple years learning about what is actually inside of an amplifier and how they basically work. then learn to weed out all the bull shit from you questions.

i don't mean to be mean, but you have been asking many questions like this recently and i thought you deserved an honest answer that wasn't sugar coated.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I said that thing about the Champ and the Mark. I was simply trying to demonstrate that amp design is the heart of it. Both are very warm amps and also very different amps. You can't just throw out the sort of question you did expecting a simple answer. The question was dumb.

Why is this a new thread and where are the cats?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification