Page 1 of 2
Jeremie Emond
20 IQ
Just wanted to know your take on that.
What distinguishes Rock from Hard Rock from Metal from Hardcore.
It is very subjective and I don't want to start a fight.

My take would be the Distortion presence kind of Put Hard Rock
on the Table but then when does it become Metal ?
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand
336 IQ
Heaviness, rhythm, atmosphere, overall sound.
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox
60 IQ
it has always been an "i know it when i hear it" type of thing for me...anything more specific than that and you'll run into counterexamples
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
metalliknot12
or not da choice is yours
494 IQ
The riffs give away metal to me.

And that's part of the reason me (and true metalheads) disagree that Nu-metal is a part of the metal movement. Nu-metal is vocals, drums, bass, very little (and hard to hear) guitar, and a bunch of studio stuff.

Now I don't want to start an internet fight over metal. This is just my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, screw you. K?
Fact: 90% of people clicked here
Quote by Trowzaa
Why do teenage girls walk around in odd numbers
because they can't even

Quote by Trowzaa
Fake burp until you properly burp

#METAL
Fallenoath
My minds playin' tricks
70 IQ
Iron and Steel.

So much metal!!!!!!
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
azrael667
360 IQ
Metal tends to lose electrones whereas non-metal tends to accept electrones

Riff structure, distortion, lack of what is known as a hardcore breakdown...

Seriously, it's hard to describe. The one thing all metal has in common is the instruments and most prominently distorted guitars.
Last edited by azrael667 at May 16, 2014,
MaXiMuse
Has an X in his name
952 IQ
If you want to drive 20 mph over the speed limit to it it's rock.
If you want to drive with gloves made of steel and a cigar in your mouth with a mean look to it it's hard rock.
If you want to walk away from an explosion you set off slowly or walk towards the place where you're going to make an explosion to it it's metal.

Any other explanation is wrong...
Revocati0n
Slammity slam
40 IQ
intensity
Quote by iHurricaneGTR
i like to lick the lichen on the sticky stickers stuck on those who like licking lickers that like liking things.
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
451 IQ
Having a poorly groomed beard.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
rg_metal
The Clit Commander
230 IQ
.......satan

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
The Wildchild
BAYBAY!!!!!!!!
1,012 IQ
if you are a false don't entry
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Fallenoath
My minds playin' tricks
70 IQ
Hairy arms.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
HamburgerBoy
10 IQ
Quote by MaXiMuse
If you want to walk away from an explosion you set off slowly or walk towards the place where you're going to make an explosion to it it's metal.

I dunno, this sounds like something a radio rock band of the last decade would do in a music video.
rg_metal
The Clit Commander
230 IQ
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Or Odin.

Did you get my Ghaal reference?

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
the_bi99man
100 IQ
Quote by AnnihiSlateR
Composition.

So.. this is the only correct answer in this thread so far. It's the reason that a softer song by a metal band can still be metal, while a hard rock song that's faster, more aggressive, and tonally heavier is still not metal.
Sami Philadelph
UG Member
110 IQ
It's hard for me to say "composition" since I don't consider acoustic covers of metal songs, "metal."

Likewise, I'd say the difference in arrangement between a Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Cream, and Led Zeppelin song to be negligible.

Furthermore, if we look at say, "Room A Thousand Years Wide" or "Gun" by Soundgarden, it'd be very difficult for me to say that those songs have typical metal arrangements, but if either appeared on a Sabbath album they wouldn't seem out of place. Similarly, if they'd simply showed up on Metallica's "Black Album" I think they'd fit right in. However, Soundgarden isn't typically considered a metal band, nor are Badmotorfinger or Loud Love considered "metal" albums.

Also if we look at the composition aesthetic of And Justice for All or Time Does Not Heal vs A New Era of Corruption or Incipit Satan, we'll see quite divergent models in place, which each yielding the "metal" sound. Because of this, I think it's safe to say, it isn't just composition.

Everything is contextual, and, "you'll know it when you hear it" seems closer to what I'd say.
BL1NDSIDE-J
Banned
120 IQ
You haven't lived until you've seen a drummer backhand a guitar player so hard he cried. Sean Connery must be a drummer. The similarities between musicians and married people is comical.
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
490 IQ
Quote by Sami Philadelph
It's hard for me to say "composition" since I don't consider acoustic covers of metal songs, "metal."

Likewise, I'd say the difference in arrangement between a Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Cream, and Led Zeppelin song to be negligible.

Furthermore, if we look at say, "Room A Thousand Years Wide" or "Gun" by Soundgarden, it'd be very difficult for me to say that those songs have typical metal arrangements, but if either appeared on a Sabbath album they wouldn't seem out of place. Similarly, if they'd simply showed up on Metallica's "Black Album" I think they'd fit right in. However, Soundgarden isn't typically considered a metal band, nor are Badmotorfinger or Loud Love considered "metal" albums.

Also if we look at the composition aesthetic of And Justice for All or Time Does Not Heal vs A New Era of Corruption or Incipit Satan, we'll see quite divergent models in place, which each yielding the "metal" sound. Because of this, I think it's safe to say, it isn't just composition.

Everything is contextual, and, "you'll know it when you hear it" seems closer to what I'd say.
Composition is more than what notes/chords you play.

Also, dicks. Big dicks = metal. That's why my dick is huge. I'm THAT metal.
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world
60 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Also, dicks. Big dicks = metal. That's why my dick is huge. I'm THAT metal.

Attaboy, sam
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

the_bi99man
100 IQ
Quote by beadhangingOne
You spelled blatant wrong.

... Not sure if adding another layer to the joke, or doesn't realize that 'latent' is a word, and one that makes perfect sense in that context.
the_bi99man
100 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Composition is more than what notes/chords you play.

Exactly. Listen to Rodrigo & Gabriela cover Orion. It's all acoustic, and still definitely metal. While Three Days Grace, for instance, no matter how much distortion they put on their guitars, will never be metal.
Page 1 of 2