Poll: have you experienced this?
Poll Options
View poll results: have you experienced this?
Why yes I have!
4 25%
something similar to that, yes!
4 25%
Non of the sort!
8 50%
Voters: 16.
So last fall I was on my exchange semester in the Netherlands and I came upon a weird phenomenon. I can easily understand scottish/irish and Australian accents separately, but when hearing all three in a room simultaneously, it all started to sound like gibberish - my brain couldn't comprehend it! Have you experienced this also or similar? (Footnote: might have been really stoned)
Quote by WaterGod
Standard American is the only correct way to speak English unfortunately.

Mmmmhmm. CNN approved.
Sometimes I don't understand a single thing an Australian says. It sounds like a whispered jumbled mess. Maybe my hearing is going.
I have a friend from London and I could understand everything perfectly.
i can barely understand australian accents anyway. it's a terrible accent
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
I can't picture myself ever being in such a scenario in my lifetime.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
None of the sort.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Cianyx
i can barely understand australian accents anyway. it's a terrible accent

Really? It's one of the easiest for me to understand. Maybe my ears are just adapted to it or something
cat
i find some tiny regional accents much more difficult to understand than any of the big ones. like geordie.

disclaimer: i just watch a significant amount of british tv, i actually know very little about you guys. and i'm also a native english speaker.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by captainsnazz
northern is the only correct way to speak english so there's that

scottish gets a pass too

You like pies and gravy?
oui mon ami ! ^_^

The accent of the locals here in Bath is awful -- as in, I can barely understand what they're saying.

Good thing my uni consists of mostly middle class students, because they usually have that same boring accent.

Quote by KingChris90
You like pies and gravy?

How does it feel being a multi?
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at May 17, 2014,
Quote by Extra Ordinary
Sometimes I don't understand a single thing an Australian says. It sounds like a whispered jumbled mess. Maybe my hearing is going.

Just respond with "'allo Bruce" because that's undoubted what they said to you.

Also, TS I have never been in this scenario, and yes it sounds awful.

And yes Northern Central US is the best accent.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
I love hearing different accents and languages. I get surprised how much I can manage to make out of european languages, even though I can only really speak a bastard version of english and that's it...

Anyway, this one time I was at work in a little Australian town, with my Scottish (Aberdeen) workmate, working on a Canadian woman's front stairs, and no joke this english guy came around and dropped off a dog that the woman was going to foster for a while and her Australian husband turned up home at about that time too. So there was lots of accents going everywhere haha.
Quote by sickman411
S-Gsus wept
I've never set those people in the same room. Especially as I hate Aussies with their Ostriches, Kangaroos, Snakes, Spiders, awful accents and racist immigration policies.

I do love their environments though, just not what is on it.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Our immigration policies aren't racist, they're shit for everyone.
Quote by sickman411
S-Gsus wept
Quote by S-Gsus
I love hearing different accents and languages. I get surprised how much I can manage to make out of european languages, even though I can only really speak a bastard version of english and that's it...

Anyway, this one time I was at work in a little Australian town, with my Scottish (Aberdeen) workmate, working on a Canadian woman's front stairs, and no joke this english guy came around and dropped off a dog that the woman was going to foster for a while and her Australian husband turned up home at about that time too. So there was lots of accents going everywhere haha.

That's kind of like my group of friends right now.
2 Canadians, 1 American(Kentucky), 1 from Essex, 1 German, 1 Finn, and a random European, usually French or another Scandinavian.