I have had the guitar for 2+ years now. However, I've also had a really cheap amp which was an acoustic/electric amp worth £20. To be honest, I'm not even sure what it is, you guys will know more than me:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acoustic-Solutions-JE-21-Guitar-Amplifier/dp/B005BOVH3E

However, the problem was that when I played my guitar (and it was in tune)... well... it didn't sound like how it is supposed to sound (i.e. in the tutorial videos).

Now I have the BC Rich Virgin VG1 guitar, I know it's a cheap guitar, so I'm wondering what to do. I have £200 to spend, and I'm thinking on getting a new amp, a Marshall, perhaps. However, I'm not sure if this would help my guitar sound better, or more electronic, or would I need to upgrade the 'pickups'?

Basically, I've got £200 to spend, and I would like to learn to metal/rock i.e. Metallica/Megadeth/Iron Maiden/AC.DC to The Beatles/The Police ... that sort of range.

I like some modern metal too, like Three Days Grace Etc.

The point of this thread is that I'm new to guitars, I previously lacked motivation, and now I have spare money and I want to get into playing guitar, I'm unsure on what to do with my money, spend it on my guitar, or on a new amp, or both, and what should I buy specifically?

Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm a noob guitarist who can barely play smoke on the water main chorus with single chords. I can't even do that with powerchords (partly because of the difficulty of using 2 strings, and partly due to the bad sound of my old amp, especially with power chords which demotivated me)

Any help is extremely appreciated.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.
Last edited by JediArron at May 17, 2014,
At your price range im going to go out there and say stay away from marshalls.
The MG-range is kinda like you see a hot chick from far away, looks kinda like that famous model you've always had a crush on. You walk up to her only to realize she sounds like utter shit! haha

I think because you're looking at quite a range of sounds, including the heavier side of things maybe a Peavey Vyper would be best for you, Or maybe the Roland Cube. Any of these will be a big step up and have a whole load of different sounds for you to play with; amp models, effects etc.
Quote by jaybals
The MG-range is kinda like you see a hot chick from far away, looks kinda like that famous model you've always had a crush on. You walk up to her only to realize she sounds like utter shit! haha

I think because you're looking at quite a range of sounds, including the heavier side of things maybe a Peavey Vyper would be best for you, Or maybe the Roland Cube. Any of these will be a big step up and have a whole load of different sounds for you to play with; amp models, effects etc.

So are you saying stay away from Marshalls completely, or just with my guitar? And also, why would these other amps work with my guitar, but a Marshall would sound bad?

P.s. I love the analogy.
Quote by jaybals

Oh, you're also from London. I live in Stanmore
Get a Marshall when you have about 4+ times as much money as you do now.
The Marshall MG amps are crap. Has nothing to do with your guitar.
You could have a custom built top of the line $50,000 guitar and the Marshall MG would still sound like utter shit.

Go for a Peavey Vypyr or the Roland Cube.
They are decent amps in that price range.
The Vypyr may not be the best for Beatles and Police stuff, but it will do the heavier stuff just fine.
Not sure about the Cube.
There is also the Vox Valvetronix.
It do a fairly convincing Metallica/Megadeth/Iron Maiden/AC.DC to The Beatles/The Police music. More modern metal, not so much. At least not as well as the Vypyr.

And Jaybals analogy, while not bad, is far from the truth.
Its more like:
You see a hot chick from far away, looks kinda like that famous model you've always had a crush on. You walk up to her only to realize its your uncle Ted in Drag.
And he's covered in boils.
Last edited by CodeMonk at May 17, 2014,
Quote by CodeMonk
You could have a custom built top of the line $50,000 guitar and the Marshall MG would still sound like utter shit.

The Vypyr may not be the best for Beatles and Police stuff, but it will do the heavier stuff just fine.
Not sure about the Cube.
It do a fairly convincing Metallica/Megadeth/Iron Maiden/AC.DC to The Beatles/The Police music. More modern metal, not so much. At least not as well as the Vypyr.

Its more like:
You see a hot chick from far away, looks kinda like that famous model you've always had a crush on. You walk up to her only to realize its your uncle Ted in Drag.

Haha, thank you for the advice!

Did you just bring up the Peavy Vypyr because Jaybals mentioned it, or would you have brung it up because it's one of the top amps of that price range, without Jaybals mentioning it?

(Don't be influenced by my leading question)

It looks like I might just go for the Peavy Vypyr then, as both you guys seem like you know what you're talking about.
Quote by CodeMonk

Not sure about the Cube.

Its more like:

The Vox Valvetronix looks like it was made in the 1960's... lol
Quote by CodeMonk

Not sure about the Cube.

Its more like:

Also, there's many variations of the Vypyr, and even the VIP models.

Wow I'm spamming my own thread.
Quote by JediArron
Haha, thank you for the advice!

Did you just bring up the Peavy Vypyr because Jaybals mentioned it, or would you have brung it up because it's one of the top amps of that price range, without Jaybals mentioning it?

(Don't be influenced by my leading question)

It looks like I might just go for the Peavy Vypyr then, as both you guys seem like you know what you're talking about.

I said that because I currently own a Peavey Vypyr and know what it can do.
I also used to own a Vox Valvetronix and I know what it can do as well.
And as far as the Roland Cube, I can't really say how good it is since I have never owned one, but it does get suggested here from time to time.

Quote by JediArron

The Vox Valvetronix looks like it was made in the 1960's... lol

This was made in 1965 and there are people that would sell their own mother to get one:

Between the Vypyr and the Valvetronix...
If you want something for blues and classic rock, get the Valvetronix.
If you want the heavier stuff, get the Vypyr.

While the Vox can do some heavy stuff, the Vypyr does it better.
Quote by CodeMonk
I said that because I currently own a Peavey Vypyr and know what it can do.
I also used to own a Vox Valvetronix and I know what it can do as well.
And as far as the Roland Cube, I can't really say how good it is since I have never owned one, but it does get suggested here from time to time.

This was made in 1965 and there are people that would sell their own mother to get one:

Between the Vypyr and the Valvetronix...
If you want something for blues and classic rock, get the Valvetronix.
If you want the heavier stuff, get the Vypyr.

While the Vox can do some heavy stuff, the Vypyr does it better.

Wow... it's actually made in the 1960's xD

I would have thought that modern amps of the same price range, would be able to do what it does better, which is interesting.

It looks like I'm leaning towards the Paedo... oops I mean Peavy Vypyr then

Any advice on what I should do with the rest of my money? Asking t his I'm assuming you know of my guitar, which wouldn't surprise me as you sound like you know a lot.

I heard about changing: 'pickups' 'footpedals' 'strings' 'picks' 'amp to guitar cord' - would I need to do any of that? I currently have some light/med/heavy picks and a standard guitar to amp cable (costed £15 - 20 or so)
get the amp first and see how you sound then. normally there's no point in changing pickups unless you're using a really good (probably tube) amp. not that they won't make some difference, but normally not enough (unless your current pickups are terrible).

and yeah a modelling amp is probably a good idea.

how flexible is that £200? I only ask because if you do want to consider tubes, the jet city jca2212 combo is only a little more...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
get the amp first and see how you sound then. normally there's no point in changing pickups unless you're using a really good (probably tube) amp. not that they won't make some difference, but normally not enough (unless your current pickups are terrible).

and yeah a modelling amp is probably a good idea.

how flexible is that £200? I only ask because if you do want to consider tubes, the jet city jca2212 combo is only a little more...

Well the Vypyr 30 is £140.

What advantages does the jca2212 combo have over the Vypyr, that's quite a big difference.

Also, remember my guitar is only a BC Rich Virgin VG1, if that makes a difference.
Last edited by JediArron at May 17, 2014,
Honestly mate your guitar won't make as much a difference as you think.

Don't get me wrong it will make a difference, but your amp is 70% of your sound.

Get a nice 2nd hand tube amp if you can afford it.
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Boss Noise Gate, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, Boss Tuner, Zakk Wylde Wah.
Quote by avenge the rage
Honestly mate your guitar won't make as much a difference as you think.

Don't get me wrong it will make a difference, but your amp is 70% of your sound.

Get a nice 2nd hand tube amp if you can afford it.

How much difference does a 'tube amp' make from the Peavy Vypyr 30?
Quote by JediArron

When I went from my old solid state amp to tube I noticed a huge difference.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Quote by JediArron

i haven't tried the vypyr but based on any of the cheaper modellers i have tried, i'd say... loads. yeah.

it depends on how badly you're already stretching. if you're just setting a budget in stone but have more money, get the jet city. if you're already stretching even to get the vypyr, then get the vypyr.

with tube amps you sort of have to have some spare money over, too, just in case it needs to be retubed. you're very unlucky if your tubes die, at least for the first year or two, especially if you're only playing at home, but they're a bit like light bulbs in that they can just go whenever if you're unlucky.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JediArron
Wow... it's actually made in the 1960's xD

I would have thought that modern amps of the same price range, would be able to do what it does better, which is interesting.

It looks like I'm leaning towards the Paedo... oops I mean Peavy Vypyr then

Any advice on what I should do with the rest of my money? Asking t his I'm assuming you know of my guitar, which wouldn't surprise me as you sound like you know a lot.

I heard about changing: 'pickups' 'footpedals' 'strings' 'picks' 'amp to guitar cord' - would I need to do any of that? I currently have some light/med/heavy picks and a standard guitar to amp cable (costed £15 - 20 or so)

Thanks.
Nah, I don't know a lot, I'm just really good at bullshitting people
Just kidding. I'm only fairly competent at bullshitting people.
But I still stand behind what I said.
What should you get with whatever money is left over after you get your amp?
That depends on what amp you get.
If you get one of the modeler amps, I myself would not bother with getting any effects pedals.
The only exception to this would be a tuner pedal.
The Vypyr has a built in tuner. The original Valvetronix did not (IIRC). I don't know about the newer Valvetronix amps.
Most people will tell you that modeling amps don't take to pedals to well.
And while that is true in most cases, the Vypyr and the Valvetronix actually take pedals fairly well.
And a tuner does not have to be in a pedal format. I just find that those are the most convenient to use. And they usually cost more than most other type of tuner.
You can get a clip-on tuner (clips onto your guitar's headstock ) for a little as $10.
Tuner pedals are n the $100 range.
You can find various kinds of pedals here : http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Guitar-Pedals-_c_207.html
And while I have ordered some items from GFS and been satisfied, I have not bought any pedals from them.

Changing pickups? I wouldn't bother with that just yet unless one of them is dead.

Cords? Sure, A good cord is a good thing to have.

Picks? Yeah. Get several of various sizes and thicknesses. They are cheap.
I'm not going to say "Get Brand X cause all the other suck". Picks are one of those things that are a personal preference.
Myself, I use Dunlop Tortex .88, and I've been using those for probably 30 years.
Many other people will swear by Jazz III picks.
Just get a bunch and find what works best FOR YOU.

Extra strings are another good thing to have.

Back to amps.
Do consider what Dave_Mc about the Jet City amp. Maybe at some point in the future, if not right now.

But I would still recommend a modeling amp for someone still trying to figure out what kind of sound they are going after.
Quote by CodeMonk

But I would still recommend a modeling amp for someone still trying to figure out what kind of sound they are going after.

Agreed, that's a good point. It's just hard not to suggest the Jet Cities when his budget is so close to them. But yeah a (decent) modeller is probably the more sensible purchase- and if it's a decent one it will likely be useful even if/when he upgrades to tube.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by CodeMonk
Thanks.
Nah, I don't know a lot, I'm just really good at bullshitting people
Just kidding. I'm only fairly competent at bullshitting people.
But I still stand behind what I said.
What should you get with whatever money is left over after you get your amp?
That depends on what amp you get.
If you get one of the modeler amps, I myself would not bother with getting any effects pedals.
The only exception to this would be a tuner pedal.
The Vypyr has a built in tuner. The original Valvetronix did not (IIRC). I don't know about the newer Valvetronix amps.
Most people will tell you that modeling amps don't take to pedals to well.
And while that is true in most cases, the Vypyr and the Valvetronix actually take pedals fairly well.
And a tuner does not have to be in a pedal format. I just find that those are the most convenient to use. And they usually cost more than most other type of tuner.
You can get a clip-on tuner (clips onto your guitar's headstock ) for a little as $10.
Tuner pedals are n the $100 range.
You can find various kinds of pedals here : http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Guitar-Pedals-_c_207.html
And while I have ordered some items from GFS and been satisfied, I have not bought any pedals from them.

Changing pickups? I wouldn't bother with that just yet unless one of them is dead.

Cords? Sure, A good cord is a good thing to have.

Picks? Yeah. Get several of various sizes and thicknesses. They are cheap.
I'm not going to say "Get Brand X cause all the other suck". Picks are one of those things that are a personal preference.
Myself, I use Dunlop Tortex .88, and I've been using those for probably 30 years.
Many other people will swear by Jazz III picks.
Just get a bunch and find what works best FOR YOU.

Extra strings are another good thing to have.

Back to amps.
Do consider what Dave_Mc about the Jet City amp. Maybe at some point in the future, if not right now.

This was so good that I'm going to cry myself to sleep.
Quote by JediArron
This was so good that I'm going to cry myself to sleep.

This reply to another user sums up my feelings at that of many here that give advice:
Quote by dementiacaptain
I'm sorry that we won't validate your decision, we give advice here, not good feelings.
Quote by CodeMonk
This reply to another user sums up my feelings at that of many here that give advice:

I think I'll get a Vypyr.

The only problem I have is that I don't know whether to get the Vypyr 30 or the Vypyr VIP.
Quote by JediArron
I think I'll get a Vypyr.

The only problem I have is that I don't know whether to get the Vypyr 30 or the Vypyr VIP.

V

VIP is the newer model. either one will work fine for you and let you concentrate on playing which it sounds like what you need to work on.
Quote by monwobobbo
V

VIP is the newer model. either one will work fine for you and let you concentrate on playing which it sounds like what you need to work on.

Thanks.

I'll get the vypyr VIP 1 (20w) then
Quote by CodeMonk

I dunno. I think it's a very fine line between that and actively been rude/glorifying internet badass behaviour.

Don't get me wrong- I'm not going to rubber stamp a decision I don't agree with, either. But I try (I think ) not to be unnecessarily rude about it, either. Or at least explain why I don't agree with the decision.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I dunno. I think it's a very fine line between that and actively been rude/glorifying internet badass behaviour.

Don't get me wrong- I'm not going to rubber stamp a decision I don't agree with, either. But I try (I think ) not to be unnecessarily rude about it, either. Or at least explain why I don't agree with the decision.

Wait.. hang on a sec.

I'm not trying to be an internet badass (if you're referring to me).

I thought his reply was a friendly thank you, but the more I read over it the more I was confused.

I literally meant that his reply was so long and covered all the things I mentioned, that I was appreciative of it.

Was he mocking me in a joking way, or was he doing something else? Why would he hate me all of a sudden, or show a negative attitude to me if he's been helping my the whole of yesterday? o_o
Quote by Dave_Mc

Wait, his multiple options may have led him and you (and I may have even implied, accidentally, not intentionally) a sarcastic response to his multiple options and not an exact answer but a range of answers.

I genuinely meant it when his answer was so good, he gave me variety to play with i.e. Vox for more The Police/The Beatles side and Vypyr for more heavier side, and though his options I worked out that I wanted the Vypyr a little more.

It was not a sarcastic response to him not giving me 1 answer, it was a genuine thank you for helping me.

And to all of you who have helped me.
Quote by JediArron
Wait.. hang on a sec.

I'm not trying to be an internet badass (if you're referring to me).

I thought his reply was a friendly thank you, but the more I read over it the more I was confused.

I literally meant that his reply was so long and covered all the things I mentioned, that I was appreciative of it.

Was he mocking me in a joking way, or was he doing something else? Why would he hate me all of a sudden, or show a negative attitude to me if he's been helping my the whole of yesterday? o_o

Woops, sorry if I caused any confusion.

That wasn't to you, it was to him. I have no problem with anything you posted.

CodeMonk is a regular here (like me), I was merely making the general point (independent of this thread) that you need to be careful that not rubber-stamping a bad decision or enabling a (bad) decision that a threadstarter has already made before making a thread (which is a good thing) doesn't cross the line into just being rude for the sake of it (which is a bad thing and which can scare away non-regulars and which can give the forum a bad reputation).

It wasn't related to anything CodeMonk posted in here (or anywhere else), or indeed anything dementiacaptain has posted here or elsewhere either. Just an observation on my part.

Sorry for the confusion again.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?