Hi. So i want to tune my guitar that i normally have in E standard or drop D to drop C. The problem is when i tune down to drop C it sounds like crap. the first few frets sound like a jumble mess of muck that blends together and sounds awful. is there some adjustments i need to make on my guitar to be able to handle drop C and if so what are they and how would i go about doing it. Thanks
mm you may just need to go up a gauge or two. for drop c i usually use 10-52s.
keep in mind that if you go much heaver you will more that likely have to adjust the truss rod.
You don't. A certified technician does.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
you will need some feeler gauges a capo and the right wrench for the truss rod nut on your guitar.

1 place the capo on the first fret
2 bar off at the 17th fret
3 check the gap with the feeler gauge
4 adjust as needed
it should be some where in the realm of .25mm-.50mm. i like mine at about .33mm

edit: remember only a 1/4 turn at a time.
Last edited by Freddiez79 at May 17, 2014,
You don't. A certified technician does.[/QUO

yeah thats crap, its not that hard.
Ok Ill give it a shot. Will these higher gauge strings make my playing in standard and stuff sound bad? i have never really played on the higher gauges before
So if i was to change the gauges on my guitar and and then adjust the truss rod in say drop C tuning would i have to change the truss rod again if i went back to e standard or drop d?
you may have too. i would say just check it the same way and see where it is in standard. i know i can go from 1/2 step down or drop c# to d/drop c with out having to adjust.
Quote by Freddiez79
you may have too. i would say just check it the same way and see where it is in standard. i know i can go from 1/2 step down or drop c# to d/drop c with out having to adjust.

Yeah, but everyone's guitar is different. Also, it can depend on how long you leave it in a certain tuning (without adjusting the truss rod). So, I would just adjust it as a matter of course, really.
QUOTE:Yeah, but everyone's guitar is different. Also, it can depend on how long you leave it in a certain tuning (without adjusting the truss rod). So, I would just adjust it as a matter of course, really.

this is very true.
Quote by TheStig1214
You don't. A certified technician does.

why the **** not? people act like its brain surgery, as long as you turn the right way and not too much at a time (quarter turn a day) you will be fine. there is an excellent setup guide at the top of this forum.

i have owned over 60 guitars. i have 20ish electrics atm. i have set them all up, including truss rod adjustments if they were needed. never had one single issue with any of them i have done. ever. 11 years IIRC,
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by ENISA
Hi. So i want to tune my guitar that i normally have in E standard or drop D to drop C. The problem is when i tune down to drop C it sounds like crap. the first few frets sound like a jumble mess of muck that blends together and sounds awful. is there some adjustments i need to make on my guitar to be able to handle drop C and if so what are they and how would i go about doing it. Thanks

well you have to set up your guitar correctly for the tuning. also you need to use the right string gauge. but more than anything else this seems to me like an issue with your tone.. back off on the gain and lows a bit, should clear stuff up.

oh also, OP, do you have a floating system or a stop tail ?
Last edited by The SoundGuy at May 17, 2014,
Quote by TheStig1214
You don't. A certified technician does.[/QUO

yeah thats crap, its not that hard.

+1

really, if you spend like lets say 5-6 hrs learning it, you'll be saving yourself bunch of money.

just some stuff like neck adjustments i'd be a bit careful with.. nothing you cant learn, but its better to learn that from a good tech.
When all of the above is set and done, you might want new pickups. Some pickups don't sound defined enough in the lower ranges. Maybe yours work though, just something to think about.

Be wary that you can't move between "big" tunings..you will either mess up the action again or the intonation.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
When all of the above is set and done, you might want new pickups.

then after that maybe a new pick...

then maybe **** it just a new guitar.

then a new amp.

no seriously though, it could be any of the above mentioned stuff.. cant really give a 100% answer without looking at/hearing your setup
Jeez, guys. I am a firm believer in teching your own gear but I just feel the first setup should be done by a pro. Just as a benchmark for good work (or bad work ) Didn't mean to cause a shitshow here. Apologies
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Jeez, guys. I am a firm believer in teching your own gear but I just feel the first setup should be done by a pro. Just as a benchmark for good work (or bad work ) Didn't mean to cause a shitshow here. Apologies

no apologies needed. if you follow the directions on the setup thread and spend time doing everything slowly patiently and accurately, i think your setup could/would be just as good of better.

the only statement regarding truss rods being done by a tech was a little on the silly side. its easier than anything else. one wrench and a 1/4 turn takes 30 seconds. just know what way to go.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/