Quote by Explorerbuilder
Just as the title says... oem imported, aftermarket brand. At 15 bucks i think it is worth just to buy them and see.

THIS ... its only $15

A mate of mine has GFS p90's and they are awesome so I reckon these will be sweet
Yeah, the OEM is not GFS, but at $15 it is worth a shot
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I bought a set of these to put in a Squier that I keep at my MIL's house and discovered that the screw sizes were quite a bit bigger than the ones that fit the stock Squier pickups. The ad mentions buying new screws as well - you might want to do this just in case the old ones don't fit. Mine are still sitting in the box waiting for something to come along, so I can't say anything (yet) about how they sound.
I think those are the same ones I threw into my old Fender Starcaster(My first guitar; $97 special!). They sounded a whole hell of a lot better than the ones that came in it.
I have had GFS Dream 90s and a set of their hot-rail types in a Telecaster I had. They were both really good pups. In all honesty, I don't think anybody does the P90 sound better than GFS. So I would certainly pull the trigger on them.

FWIW, I just pulled the trigger on a pair of their Professional Series alnico V hot wound humbuckers for my SE 245. I expect that I will like them very much.
Ibanez SR1200E
Yeah, not talking about GFS brand pickups. Talking about their Non-GFS OEM Pickups like the first post stated. I've tried a few of GFS brand pickups and they are good.
Quote by Griffin Effects
Yeah, not talking about GFS brand pickups. Talking about their Non-GFS OEM Pickups like the first post stated. I've tried a few of GFS brand pickups and they are good.

I have to remember to refrain from posting when I'm on my pain pills.
Ibanez SR1200E
I bought one of their OEM clearance pickups ( High wound Hex pickups) for $35.00 U.S. Dollars. If their OEM pickup are hit and miss.... I scored a major hit. The neck is wound to 12.4k ohms and the bridge 16.05k ohms. Killer tone, very Dimarzio Evolution and Carvin M22SD sounding but with more gain !
Quote by pachap
I have to remember to refrain from posting when I'm on my pain pills.

I think we've all done our share of medicated/intoxicated posts over the years! On a GFS pickup note, I bought some of their lipstick strat pickups and they were just ok. I rewound them and I like them much better now. Actually the bridge was fine but the neck and middle weren't to my liking.
Quote by AJ6stringsting
I bought one of their OEM clearance pickups ( High wound Hex pickups) for $35.00 U.S. Dollars. If their OEM pickup are hit and miss.... I scored a major hit. The neck is wound to 12.4k ohms and the bridge 16.05k ohms. Killer tone, very Dimarzio Evolution and Carvin M22SD sounding but with more gain !

I used those on a few early builds back in the day. They were amazing pickups, especially for the price. I had a NT jackson soloist at the time and those cheap pickups sounded just as good in Rondo explorer as the JB and 59 set did in the jackson soloist.
they are not good but not horrible either. gfs should never be seen as an upgrade because materials and build quality just aren't that good. view gfs as a change. If your guitar has vintage output pickups and you need high output but dont have any money then gfs (or their oem products) can do the job. If you have vintage output pickups and want better than stock vintage output pickup, gfs is not the company to go with.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
they are not good but not horrible either. gfs should never be seen as an upgrade because materials and build quality just aren't that good. view gfs as a change. If your guitar has vintage output pickups and you need high output but dont have any money then gfs (or their oem products) can do the job. If you have vintage output pickups and want better than stock vintage output pickup, gfs is not the company to go with.

I have a guitar with a GFS fat Pat in it, and I like it way better than the Dimarzio Super Distortion that was in it.

The materials they are made of are absolutely fine and on par with Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio. Its kinda hard to F up plastic bobbins and enamel coated copper wire
I know that there are different quality in magnets, but do you really think SD/Dimarzio use high end magnets?

I can't speak on their vintage style pickups. Their pickup models are hit or miss, some are fantastic, some are not that great

The only issue some have with GFS is they only offer F spaced bridge pickups. It does nothing to the sound, but the poles do not line up in the middle of the strings (like on most stop-tail bridge guitars.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at May 24, 2014,
^ 1st i will pount out that the fat pat uses alnico magnets while the super distortion uses ceamic which means they will sound very different. 2nd i will point out that the sd uses screws on both sides while the fat pat has slugs on one side which also significantly changes tone. Obviously alnico magnets and slugs on one side are better for you but that doesnt mean they are better pickups.

in adittion to wire and plastic pickups also have metal and wire insolation. Something as insignificant as a .01% shift in carbon content will be differance between a great sounding pickup and mud. Having pe insolation sounds different than formvar which is different than poly. even using self tapping screws will sound different than regular. pickups are far more complex than you think
Not taking any online orders.
^ that is why I also stated that some of the GFS pickups are good, but some are not.

And yes Different strokes......
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Doesn't matter what brand a pick up is. Many factors come into play when it comes to tone. I had some Dimarzio Evolution pick ups that sounded like crap in one swamp ash guitar, but sounded much better in basswood. Pots, caps and types of wood determines the tone of the guitar in itself.
Amps, effects pedal impedance and cables will determine the rest.
The Lil' Killers 15k ohms are my favorite GFS pickups to put in the middle of S,S,H and H,S,H configured guitars.