So I bought a used PRS SE EG (with Budweiser graphics) over the internet and got it shipped over. Lo and behold - it had cracks around the neck-body joint!

Though I understand the crack is in the wood (took it to the GC tech) and the guitar is 'terminal', I really don't want to get rid of it since these EGs are hard to come by. I would appreciate some advice here - how bad do you think this is and how long do you think it has?

Also the tech mentioned the repair can go anywhere from $100 to 200+. Do you recommend getting it repaired now if I want to keep it or later when the crack gets more elaborate?

Last edited by handy_g at May 17, 2014,
How long do you think this one has? Also, is changing a neck feasible on non-bolt-on necks?
One idea is to keep playing it till I can't play it any longer and then get it repaired?
I agree with crazysam23_Atax. Take it to your local shop. There may be some way of making it workable or you may need a new neck. I wouldn't touch it.
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster (Mexican)
Hagstrom Ultra Swede
Music Man Axis Sport
Send it back and get your money. I would not accept a guitar like that

The neck and the body is F'ed up bad. A new neck will cost more than the guitar is worth. PRS use a different type of neck joint than most other guitar company's and the only replacements I know of are from Ed Roman and they are hella expensive
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at May 17, 2014,
^^If the guitar was not advertised with this major damage then it was sold under false pretenses or the damage occurred during shipping! Either way you should not be responsible and the seller should've shipped with insurance.
Moving on.....
agreed.

if you can't find another one and want to keep it, i suppose that's a judgement call. but even with that, i'd think very carefullly about it... you don't want to be stuck with a white elephant.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the replies guys
I communicated this to the seller and am waiting to hear back. Considering I might be refunded partial amount, the repair ($150?) plus the cost might still be less than how much this sells for used (~$400+). I might return it OR keep it to bash it around and try out the repair route later. But I am not sure how long does the neck have before it starts throwing problems. Having a difficult time making a judgement call as the SE EGs are hard to come by.
Do repaired necks go down on the quality front or is it too dumb to even answer that
I would never accept a broken guitar, regardless of make or model. That crack is easily the worst I've seen and will not be easy or cheap repair. A clean headstock-break would be nothing compared to that.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I wouldn't keep it.

And I do some repairs in my area, I wouldn't touch that for $150. Your probably looking at $250-$300 if you want it fixed and refinished.

One huge issue is where it looks like the truss rod area is cracked on the neck. When you fix that there is a very good chance that glue will get inside on the truss rod and make it un-useable
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I wouldn't keep it.

And I do some repairs in my area, I wouldn't touch that for $150. Your probably looking at $250-$300 if you want it fixed and refinished.

One huge issue is where it looks like the truss rod area is cracked on the neck. When you fix that there is a very good chance that glue will get inside on the truss rod and make it un-useable

+1 that is a liability on the tech's behalf.

i don't know what draws you to keep this OP. it is jacked up pretty good and not worth it. send it back. and even if it were a high demand or valuable guitar, the value would be gone by the work.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Definitely send it back, you're looking at one hefty repair bill if you want the job done properly.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
update: so i am reimbursed almost all the money I put in to it AND i don't need to send it back!!

wondering what to do now! going back the suggestions here (and I really appreciate them ) I do understand a repair will not be worth it.
Make it a cool wall hanger

but why were you not reimbursed all of your money?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by handy_g
update: so i am reimbursed almost all the money I put in to it AND i don't need to send it back!!

wondering what to do now! going back the suggestions here (and I really appreciate them ) I do understand a repair will not be worth it.

Considering that development, I'd take the guitar to a good luthier and ask for a repair quote.
That way you'll know how much the repair would cost, and if it's worth doing or not (since you got to keep the guitar for a really low price).
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
Considering that development, I'd take the guitar to a good luthier and ask for a repair quote.
That way you'll know how much the repair would cost, and if it's worth doing or not (since you got to keep the guitar for a really low price).

+1

I do own a PRS SE EG (hardtail, metallic blue) and I really love it. It could be worth it getting it fixed!
Thanks people. Per the suggestions in here, I am planning on getting it fixed. What I am wondering now is, do repairs of this sort work? Does the quality (tone, sustain and what not) drop down with the epoxy getting in? The initial quote I got on this for repair was $150 but as Robbgnarly and others pointed out, that might go up when the tech inspects it further.
Quote by handy_g
Thanks people. Per the suggestions in here, I am planning on getting it fixed. What I am wondering now is, do repairs of this sort work? Does the quality (tone, sustain and what not) drop down with the epoxy getting in? The initial quote I got on this for repair was $150 but as Robbgnarly and others pointed out, that might go up when the tech inspects it further.

If it is done by a competent tech, actually stay away from the typical tech with that guitar, look for someone in your area that builds guitars, mandolins, banjo's, violin's or any stringed instrument. That break looks pretty complex and should be done by someone who has done more than swap hardware out or fixed 1 or 2 headstock breaks.

Now the area on the body should be an easy fix, it is the break in the neck that I'd be worried about. If glue gets on the truss-rod it will ruin the guitar
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks Robbgnarly. The tech I go to is pretty competent and builds guitars and basses so he should be good. Thanks for the tip on the truss-rod but does glue hamper the sustain or the vibration-mojo in anyway even when done right? I hope I don't sound paranoid about this thing.
Quote by handy_g
(...) does glue hamper the sustain or the vibration-mojo in anyway even when done right?

It does make a difference, but it's so negligible that I'd say it isn't going to be noticeable at all (if done right).
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by handy_g
Thanks Robbgnarly. The tech I go to is pretty competent and builds guitars and basses so he should be good. Thanks for the tip on the truss-rod but does glue hamper the sustain or the vibration-mojo in anyway even when done right? I hope I don't sound paranoid about this thing.

Yes it does, but I doubt you will notice a difference
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks Linkerman and Robbgnarly

Just called my guitar tech, he's overbooked and can only take it in after a couple of weeks