I've noticed I pick over the middle pickup of my strat, but slightly closer to the gap between the middle and neck pickup. it seems that since there is more tension on the strings between the bridge and middle pickup, that that would be a more beneficial place to pick in terms of maintaining accuracy. Thoughts? Where do you pick?
between the bridge and neck pickup, usually closer to the neck. I developed this very early in my playing because the pickups sometimes got in the way of my pick i guess
wherever you want - where you pick has quite an effect on your tone so that's a major consideration.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If I'm playing any GN'R type stuff I'll pick somewhere around the middle, punk near the bridge, jazz and country near and sometimes even on the neck
Call me Kerouac
i think jcscullery has a good answer. For a more rounder warmer tone, closer to the neck. For a twang, closer to the bridge.

My 2 cents: wherever feels good, then worry about the tone down the road.
Quote by steven seagull
wherever you want - where you pick has quite an effect on your tone so that's a major consideration.

yeah I find I get my best tones when i'm picking nowhere near the strings
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I keep it where its comfortable I guess. Sometimes Ill move it around to get a slightly different tone but normally I just play where its comfortable to what I'm playing at that moment.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Just experiment and pay attention to the differences in tone that different positions have. Most of a guitarist's tone is in his/her hands, so that kind of experimentation can add more weapons to your guitar playing arsenal!
I love the sound when I pick a bit behind the middle pickup, but I prefer picking just behind the neck because it's easier.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
I'm usually over the neck pickup because it feels more comfortable. But I end up hitting the pickup itself which is annoying. Except for when I'm palm muting obviously.

Also if I'm playing my Randy Rhoads V sitting down because of the way you have to hold that I end up picking closer to the bridge.
Since it sounds different depending on where you pick, I play where-ever need be.
More jangle needed? Back towards the bridge.
More George Benson sound? Then towards the neck where the treble is less.
Usually in between the neck and middle pickups. For certain parts of songs I will intentionally pick higher up, like almost on top of the fretboard or sometimes way back by the bridge. You can get different sounds this way. But 95% of the time I pick between neck and middle pups.
I try to pick close to the edge of the neck pickup (the edge facing the neck pickup). I just got used to picking there because pinch harmonics come out the sweetest there (at least for me).
I try to go quite central with a downward swipe on the outer edge. And I try not to go too far up, to prevent nose bleeds....
Quote by RyanMW2010
I've noticed I pick over the middle pickup of my strat, but slightly closer to the gap between the middle and neck pickup. it seems that since there is more tension on the strings between the bridge and middle pickup, that that would be a more beneficial place to pick in terms of maintaining accuracy. Thoughts? Where do you pick?

Where you pick has a great impact on the tone. You shouldn't obsess about finding one spot to pick all the time, but rather learn to switch it up according to whatever part you are playing for artistic effect. The closer you pick near the bridge, the more treble and attack you'll get, the closer you pick towards the fretboard, and even over the fretboard, the mellower and rounder the tone will get. Watch Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Johnson, Hendrix and Eric Gales for examples of players that use this to great effect.

There is no right or wrong way, it's all about what sounds better to you. Start experimenting with different positions and incorporate that in your playing.

Changing where you are picking notes for different tones is a technique used in classical guitar a lot, but seems to get lost in other styles. It will make you a more interesting player.