Hello UG community. I am going to build myself a guitar from scratch, and am wondering, what do I need. Now I know I have made a post about what semi hollow body is for me, but I have gotten over that idea, I am going to build my own, and need to know, what is a good body shape to build? Im thinking of tele, but if I build a tele I want it to be a 72 thin line replica. Can you please help me? Thanks!
I would move this post over to the gear building and customizing page. There are a lot of guys over there that do some amazing work and can give you very precise details. Not that there aren't guys here to help, but this fits over there much better.
Off the top of my head you should be up front with what tools you currently have that you'll need to build the guitar. How much money you're looking spend on the build overall.
Generally for first builds kits are recommended due to the ability to just practice a lot of smaller wood working skills, fret dressing, mounting, finishing, etc. if you already have that skill then you just need to be aware of what your planning on building and acquire plans for the build. There are a lot of plans out there for a 72 tele, not to mention if you mess up you should be able to buy a body or neck that fits your need.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Building a guitar can be very expensive because of all the tools needed to do a good job and the materials. You are also almost guaranteed that it will not be a "great" guitar on the 1st try.

Now I'm not discouraging you from trying, just know the truth before you dive into it.

www.stewmac.com has lots of tools and specialty tools not found in most places. Also note a lot of their "luthier" tools are just regular everyday tools found at Home Depot/Harbor Freight for 1/3 of the price they want.
www.byoguitar.com is another good site that has some tools and they also make guitar kits that you finish and assemble.

Actually her are a few Thinline-Tele kits I would suggest for your first build
www.byoguitar.com/Guitars/BYO-Custom-Shop-69-TLine__BYO-CS-69T.aspx
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alston-A007-DIY-Semi-Hollow-Mahogany-Body-Electric-Guitar-Kit-Basswood-Top-/190948636295?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2c756cf687

Or you can go to Warmoth and get great quality, but you will pay for it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I know I'm not going to build a "great" guitar, but thank you. And also, my father has a tone of tools that I can use, and we also have a garage for it all, so I think i got tools, and workshop covered. And a lumber mill might give me a few slabs of maple, for they where not cut to the size they wanted for there shipment and is big enough for my idea, its either me or they would use it as fire wood.
You could check out carvin, they sell kits to build your own. You could probobly find a tele one or something close (forsure a strat) snd if you want a different neck on it they sell just necks so just swap em. I havnt done this so i couldnt tell u anything about em, but it may be cheaper than buying sepreate parts and risking missing some etc

www.Carvinguitars.com/kits
www.Carvinguitars.com/necks

But if your set on pure scratch no kit thry sell all the parts seperatelt as well
www.Carvinguitars.com/customshop
-Main Gear-
ESP Ltd V-401 + D Activator N&B
De Armond/Guild 2000 M72 Bluesbird w/ USA Toastertops
Peavey JSX & XXL
Mesa Boogie Rectifier Vertical 2x12
Airis Effects Savage Drive
Quote by EricChic98
I know I'm not going to build a "great" guitar, but thank you. And also, my father has a tone of tools that I can use, and we also have a garage for it all, so I think i got tools, and workshop covered. And a lumber mill might give me a few slabs of maple, for they where not cut to the size they wanted for there shipment and is big enough for my idea, its either me or they would use it as fire wood.

Well good luck. Here is a site with decent but inexpensive hardware and pickups
www.guitarfetish.com
I have used enough of their products to recommend them

BYOGuitar has plans also here is a Fender 1969 thinline
www.byoguitar.com/Guitars/Full-Scale-69-Tele-Thinline__BYOPLAN-69TLINE.aspx
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thank you, im also thinking of purchasing a replica basswood Ibanez JS body with a HSH configure on it
Find local building classes. It’s common for luthiers to run serious guitar building classes in their shops. Ask local guitar shops and look on Craigslist.
I live in a small town, and let me tell you the closest actual luthier class near me is about, a state or two away? But there are no luthiers in my town, my music teacher built a banjo, but thats it. We do not have real,y anything devoted to music in my town, especially my school, but in there eyes they cut back on all music/wood shop/auto and metal shop funds, just so we can keep a football team that cant even win most games.