Hi guys,

I'm gonna buy me an interface for recording and I had a pretty good idea of which to buy until the local music store announced a sale on different interfaces.

It's gonna be used for home practice recordings/messing around.
The thing im mostly interested in is audio quality and reliability of the ASIO software(have weird issues with ASIO4ALL).
What/How many things you can connect isn't really an issue.

Here are my choices.
They all cost pretty much the same.

Avid Fast Track Solo
Avid Fast Track Duo
Line 6 PodStudio UX1
PreSonux AudioBox USB

How do any of them compare to the Saffire/Scarlett?
Last edited by Xioinor at May 17, 2014,
Of those I would go the Presonus. The preamps aren't as nice as the scalett but if it's significantly cheaper then go for it.
I have a presonus firepod thats simple to use, and sounds great.

i would go for the Presonus, it has two inputs for both XLR and 1/4" instrument cables.
(signature removed, please choose another)
Yeah I'd go for the Presonus stuff, I have personal experience with the UX1 being meh and several reports of the Fast Track series being pretty bad too.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Thanks for the input guys.

I'm reading that the Scarlett 2i4 has a padding function and a Line input switch against clipping for when you're using hot active pickups. That's precisely the thing I'm gonna record.

Does the Audiobox USB have any similar functionality or does it mean i need to get the 2i4 as a bare minimum?
Using the same preamps on another Presonus product as in the Audiobox - it works fine with actives in a Jackson Soloist (EMG 84/81 I think). Never had an issue with clipping, you just control it by setting your volume level. I guess the padding might be a good thing in some instances if you're afraid you'd miss super crucial take, I've had that happen sometimes on an impressive solo that I had to audio edit afterwards because I clipped the signal...but that is usually when you learn the basics in the beginning.
It's only really a problem on the Scarlett stuff because of the preamps running so hot. I don't think the Audiobox has the same pres'.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by AngryHatter
For that much cash you can get a 16 trk recorder. No latency issues etc.

I'm not sure how that would work out. I want to use amp and cab emulators, drum machines and so on my PC.

Quote by diabolical
Using the same preamps on another Presonus product as in the Audiobox - it works fine with actives in a Jackson Soloist (EMG 84/81 I think). Never had an issue with clipping, you just control it by setting your volume level. I guess the padding might be a good thing in some instances if you're afraid you'd miss super crucial take, I've had that happen sometimes on an impressive solo that I had to audio edit afterwards because I clipped the signal...but that is usually when you learn the basics in the beginning.

Now my dilemma is the PreSonus AudioBox or the Scarlett 2i4. Scarlett is about 50% more expensive so that's kind of a bummer.
When it comes to setting down the volume level on the PreSonus as you mentioned, isn't that pretty much like taking down your Gain dial on the amp? It gets quieter but also "weaker"?

Isn't the padding on the 2i4 supposed to lower the volume without reducing the "power" ?
Last edited by Xioinor at May 17, 2014,
If you can justify the expense of the 2i4 then you'll only ever have to upgrade when you need more inputs. It'll pretty much be with you for life.

Quote by DisarmGoliath