Hi, everyone.

I'm new at playing electric guitar which is saying the same as I can only play the chromatic scale and still not that good. But I'm already trying to play some chords, or at least memorize to where each finger goes on the fret board. One thing I've notice is that I feel my hands and, particularly, my fingers are too short for the practice of playing guitar. I'm 5.4" and my middle finger's length is 2.9 inches. Do you think it will be a problem for me or is it something that will turn my learning experience impossible?

I thank you all your experience and time on this issue
You might want to check out justinguitar.com. He has a really well thought-out sequence of lessons that are very helpful. The cost is what you feel you should donate. Many people (including me) have found this a great way to learn guitar basics.
Quote by jds2
You might want to check out justinguitar.com. He has a really well thought-out sequence of lessons that are very helpful. The cost is what you feel you should donate. Many people (including me) have found this a great way to learn guitar basics.

Yeah this.I've been playing on and off for 20 years and i regularly visit this site to learn new things like Jazz etc.
Yeah there's nothing wrong with your fingers, you're just not very good at playing the guitar - which is to be expected seeing as you've only just picked the thing up.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yeah hands aren't the issue. They aren't comfortable with the fretboard yet. When I was first learning around middle school, I had the smallest hands ever lol. It will take time but then one day you'll notice the improvement. Just keep playing!
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Hey man,

Don't let something as silly as "shorter fingers" become a mental block for your progress on guitar. It's really not a big deal. Maybe if you wanted to stretch out into an insane uncommon jazz chord like Allan Holdsworth, it may matter. But for 99.99% of the stuff you'll be doing, it will be completely irrelevant. Your learning experience is at 99.99% potential.
yeah practice will help. i can stretch far farther now than i could when i started playing. i could be wrong but i'm guessing it's the same for most people. assuming your fingers are within "normal" limits, that's probably not going to be the problem.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I appreciate all the support shown here. Much love around here. I'll keep practicing without holding back to any excuse. Thank you very much!

Another thing, I have a friend who's a bassist, but he doesn't have all that time to help.me.out as he have a job. He already gave me.some tips. Do you find it harder to learn all by yourselves or to have another guy with you? I know this seems a little stupid as it's obviously better to.learn with other people but I'm taking lessons from a site at about.com. Is it enough to learn to play guitar properly?
check justinguitar- it's pretty good and free (though he takes donations).

It just depends, regarding your question. Some things help some people, different things help other people. If you're getting lessons I don't see how that wouldn't be enough. once you get good enough jamming with your friend would likely help, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I mean, I take lessons as lessons being online free hints and tips lol. Not real lessons with a teacher
no worries

as i said, check the justinguitar website. it's basically laid out as beginner lessons so it's (probably) the next best thing to actually having a teacher.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Having smaller hands may make certain things more difficult, but by no means does it make them impossible. Where there's a will, there's a way.

P.S. I do pretty well, and my fingers aren't much longer than yours