so... i went to the local guitar shop today, expressed interest in speakers for possibly building my own bass cab. he said if i took this bass combo away from his shop i could have it.... I cant pass up the free stuff. I took it home, tossed the amp (junk) wired a 1/4 jack up to the speaker wires, plugged it in and it almost sounds great!

so here are the specifics:

My amp - peavey tour 700 (700w 4ohm, 500w 8ohm)

the cabinet or junk combo - nemesis nc-200 (500w max, 200 program?, 2x12" speakers, plus a (hardwired?) horn

basically im wondering if its a safe investment to buy some more powerful speakers for it, that can handle my amp? at the moment its distorting at less than half volume. can I essentially just secure the 1/4 jack, and call it a cabinet?

The amp was plugged into the speakers by one black and one red wire, so I guess the two twelves and the horn are wired in line? will I eventually blow up the horn if i leave it wired like this? would it be better to disconnect the horn? wire it into a control knob?

and now for the most fun part: what speakers? the only thing ive found are speakers that cant handle the amp... always distorting at high volume on the low notes... i hope its weak speakers, and not my amp? anyway, I was some serious speakers, with more than enough capability for my amp, like over 500w each? I dont know, Im new to this. if anyone can help i would really appreciate it
so far all I have found that might fit the bill are Paragon speakers, they make a 300w driver... Ive never heard of them though

also it appears eminence delta series are really powerful. ive found the eminence delta 12a for $90 each, 400w rms, 800w max... that shouldn't distort, right?
Last edited by bpclay1 at May 17, 2014,
Should be fine. Eminence are pretty decent speakers. Those are more PA speakers but they will do bass just fine too.
I would buy 16 ohm ones if you can. Here's why.
1. It cuts it down to 500W by being 8 ohm if hooked up in parallel
2. You'll be able to run it in parallel with another 8 ohm cab. If you use 8 ohm speakers it will be 4 ohm total and therefore unusable with a second cab. Well you could but you'd have to rewire it or make a series cable. Too hard, just buy 16 ohm speakers.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Good to know, they do have 16 ohm speakers... So two 16s together makes it an 8 ohm cab?

What's the difference between wired in series and parallel? You think they're wired in parallel now? Thanks for your response cathbard
Quote by bpclay1
Good to know, they do have 16 ohm speakers... So two 16s together makes it an 8 ohm cab?

What's the difference between wired in series and parallel? You think they're wired in parallel now? Thanks for your response cathbard

Resistance in series adds, but I would never wire a 2x12 in series. It may just be from my work on tube amps, but I've seen a cab wired in series have a speaker open and burn up transformers and tubes. Probably not an issue with a solid state PA, but I would rather design in a way that it fails with a load than fails with no load for anything.

Resistance in parallel is (R1*R2)/(R1+R2) or 1/((1/R1)+(1/R2))
The second equation for parallel can be expanded out by just continuing to add if you have more than 2 resistors like so:

1/((1/R1)+(1/R2)+(1/R3)...+(1/Rn))
Got it, I want parallel... Though, I just thought of something... Where does the tweeter or horn figure in? Shouldn't that bring the ohms down? Maybe I should just eliminate it when I get new speakers? Im not sure I'm all that fond of horns anyway...

So if I'm running two 16ohm speakers and a horn, what might that bring my resistance down to? Depending of course on the horn
Does anyone know about what influence the horn has over the resistance? I feel like it might effect what speakers I order, that I should figure this out...