Hello everyone.

I´m considering a Dean Dime Razorback - the cheaper basswood one with the DMT humbuckers. And I would like to change the stock PUs in it. Bridge position is clear: Seymour Duncan Dimebucker SH-13 . But what about the neck? I´ve read that Dime used 59s in the neck, so which 59s should I get, as the best match for the neck Dimebucker? There are more 59 models and I´m sort of lost....

Thanx in advance for all yo replies!
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Well Dime used a 59 bridge pickup in the neck position if that helps any. I'm pretty sure aside from neck/bridge the different 59's are just the look
Quote by jaymz9350
Well Dime used a 59 bridge pickup in the neck position if that helps any. I'm pretty sure aside from neck/bridge the different 59's are just the look

I see.... and which version should I get, for that neck position: SH or TB?
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Quote by Airfish
I see.... and which version should I get, for that neck position: SH or TB?

Oh, that wasn't clear from you question, but to answer : SH. You won't find a TB for the neck.
*AND* They're pretty much the same thing, only difference is the spacing of the pole pieces. The TB is suited for 53mm between e and E, while the SH is for 49mm. If you get the "wrong" one I doubt you could hear a difference.

More reading here : http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/tips-and-tricks/string-spacing-explained-humbuckers-vs-trembuckers/
Quote by gosam
Oh, that wasn't clear from you question, but to answer : SH. You won't find a TB for the neck.
*AND* They're pretty much the same thing, only difference is the spacing of the pole pieces. The TB is suited for 53mm between e and E, while the SH is for 49mm. If you get the "wrong" one I doubt you could hear a difference.

More reading here : http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/tips-and-tricks/string-spacing-explained-humbuckers-vs-trembuckers/

OK, now it´s all clear. Thanx for explaining and for the link too.
have you ever tried the Dimebucker? It is not very pleasing.

I would go with a Bill Laurence L500XL www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/bill-lawrence-l500xl-hot-humbucker-electric-guitar-pickup

It is the pickup dime used most
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
have you ever tried the Dimebucker? It is not very pleasing.

I would go with a Bill Laurence L500XL www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/bill-lawrence-l500xl-hot-humbucker-electric-guitar-pickup

It is the pickup dime used most

No I haven´t tried it. I just chose it because from the bridge pickups he reportedly used it was the easier one to get. In what way is it "not very pleasing"?
....oh, and one more thing: pls. bear in mind that I want to get the cheaper version of the Dean, which is basswood and bolt-on, unlike the set-in mahogany of the more expensive one.... I already have a basswood/bolt-on BC Rich with EMG X 81/85 and that combination is OK - not the longest sustain on earth, but tuned down to C and w/ heavy strings (12-56) it sounds really mean.... So what about Bill Laurence vs. Dimebucker at the bridge of a basswood Dean? I´m not planning to tune it down too much, just the usual Dime 1/4 step down, or 1 & 1/4 down.... not lower.
Last edited by Airfish at May 19, 2014,
Quote by Airfish
....oh, and one more thing: pls. bear in mind that I want to get the cheaper version of the Dean, which is basswood and bolt-on, unlike the set-in mahogany of the more expensive one.... I already have a basswood/bolt-on BC Rich with EMG X 81/85 and that combination is OK - not the longest sustain on earth, but tuned down to C and w/ heavy strings (12-56) it sounds really mean.... So what about Bill Laurence vs. Dimebucker at the bridge of a basswood Dean? I´m not planning to tune it down too much, just the usual Dime 1/4 step down, or 1 & 1/4 down.... not lower.

I heard the guys at the SDUG forums say that the Dimebucker works well in basswood. Don't try it in other woods, though; waste of time.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Quote by Archer250
I heard the guys at the SDUG forums say that the Dimebucker works well in basswood. Don't try it in other woods, though; waste of time.

No, I won´t try it, because basswood is (gonna be) my case. I just have to decide: Dimebucker or Bill Laurence?
Last edited by Airfish at May 19, 2014,
The Dimebucker is a terrible pickup. The treble is like an icepick, and the response/feel when you attacks the string sounds like shit.

The Bill Lawrence blows it away. And even after that, there are pickups that blow the Bill Lawrence away. It depends on what you're trying to sound like, and what amp you have.

What amp do you have? What band's tone do you wish to achieve?
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Quote by Guy_Mitchell
The Dimebucker is a terrible pickup. The treble is like an icepick, and the response/feel when you attacks the string sounds like shit.

The Bill Lawrence blows it away. And even after that, there are pickups that blow the Bill Lawrence away. It depends on what you're trying to sound like, and what amp you have.

What amp do you have? What band's tone do you wish to achieve?

My rig: Engl E530 preamp + Marshal EL84 20/20 power amp + two 2x12 cabs with Celestion K100s. I don´t want to achieve any particular band´s tone, but it would be nice to get at least somewhat close to Dime´s sound, of course just as long as my rig allows it....
Quote by Airfish
My rig: Engl E530 preamp + Marshal EL84 20/20 power amp + two 2x12 cabs with Celestion K100s. I don´t want to achieve any particular band´s tone, but it would be nice to get at least somewhat close to Dime´s sound, of course just as long as my rig allows it....

You can get close to anyone's tone with the proper amp. Pickups are just the last piece of fine tuning, normally they do very little in the way of getting different tones.

Swapping pickups is more about clarity, definition, and output. I imagine with the Engl preamp you can already achieve an American high gain sound. What's next is to get the guitar, decide what you don't like about the sound, and take it from there. You might even end up liking the DMT set that comes with it.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Quote by Guy_Mitchell
You can get close to anyone's tone with the proper amp. Pickups are just the last piece of fine tuning, normally they do very little in the way of getting different tones.

Swapping pickups is more about clarity, definition, and output. I imagine with the Engl preamp you can already achieve an American high gain sound. What's next is to get the guitar, decide what you don't like about the sound, and take it from there. You might even end up liking the DMT set that comes with it.

You mean the stock DMTs in the cheaper basswood Dean? Worth givin them a shot?