At rehearsals our rhythm guitarist plays though this little line6 combo and our bassist plays through her Rumble15 or something similar. Not the best gear but for practises it gives decent tones at low volumes.

I recently purchased a H&K Tubemeister 5 and a 112 cab to go along with it to replace my Vox AD30VT, and it does the job wonderfully - easily breaks up at reasonable volumes. The 5 watts amp is perfect for playing over the small combos the rest of the band is using and our drummer (we're a heavier Alt.Rock/Punk kinda band a la Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Minor threat).

when I bought the tm5 we weren't gigging regularly and I was focusing more on recording/rehearsal possibilities . We have a gig coming up next weekend with some other local bands at a venue thats relatively new. One of the other bands is letting our rhythm player run through his amp (a 300 Traynor into a 2x15) and they're bass amp (A Dynabass 800h into another 2x15). Im kinda worried that I won't be loud enough. in the past and we just mic'ed my amp but since this is a newer venue I can't seem to find out how the PA is at the place and if I could mic/DI with the Redbox.

Any tips on how to gig a 5 watter?
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
I would guess it wouldn't sound very good. My lil epi vjr will keep up with just drums but with other guitars/bass involved it gets lost in the mix. Not too mention it sounds horrible dimed. I'd make sure there's a pa or try to get a bigger amp. You'll need one anyways if you're gigging.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
I would guess it wouldn't sound very good. My lil epi vjr will keep up with just drums but with other guitars/bass involved it gets lost in the mix. Not too mention it sounds horrible dimed. I'd make sure there's a pa or try to get a bigger amp. You'll need one anyways if you're gigging.

unfortunately for the OP, i agree. you theoretically could be mic'd and get mixed high in there, but its far from ideal.

for gigging IMO you need a bigger amp. does every venue have a good PA? NO. if you go to play somewhere that doesn't have one for the amp nobody would hear you.

if you have a bigger amp, you don't have to worry as much, because worst case scenario turn it up a bit more but it could mess up FOH a little bit.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Stick a mike in front of it (you're going to have to anyway for FoH) and feed some back through your wedge. If they're running a mono foldback mix then the other guys are just gonna have to put it up with it. You'll be able to find a happy balance if they aren't douches. You need a tele so if they get uppity you can smack 'em across the head with it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by boblittle
At rehearsals our rhythm guitarist plays though this little line6 combo and our bassist plays through her Rumble15 or something similar. Not the best gear but for practises it gives decent tones at low volumes.

I recently purchased a H&K Tubemeister 5 and a 112 cab to go along with it to replace my Vox AD30VT, and it does the job wonderfully - easily breaks up at reasonable volumes. The 5 watts amp is perfect for playing over the small combos the rest of the band is using and our drummer (we're a heavier Alt.Rock/Punk kinda band a la Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Minor threat).

when I bought the tm5 we weren't gigging regularly and I was focusing more on recording/rehearsal possibilities . We have a gig coming up next weekend with some other local bands at a venue thats relatively new. One of the other bands is letting our rhythm player run through his amp (a 300 Traynor into a 2x15) and they're bass amp (A Dynabass 800h into another 2x15). Im kinda worried that I won't be loud enough. in the past and we just mic'ed my amp but since this is a newer venue I can't seem to find out how the PA is at the place and if I could mic/DI with the Redbox.

Any tips on how to gig a 5 watter?

You need to be mic'd. Or DI'd. I use my HK as a back up/ quick set up when I need it. Handles it wonderfully, but it needs a Mic. I also NEEDED it to be put in my wedges because I move around a lot, and one speaker wasn't enough.the good news is there you can do more than just mic it, so it gives the sound guy more options to let you hear yourself. It's a great little guy when you need it, and great for practice!
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
thanks for the replies! Looks like a new amp is the best choice... What would be a good starting point for gigging power?
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Get rid of that Turdmeister and get something like a Jet City JCA22H and slap a Tubescreamer or something in front of it.

The only downside might be that it only has crunch/OD so no pristine cleans. But since you're already gigging a 5 watter i don't think clean headroom is much concern.

I regularly play mine alongside a friends Triple Rec in 50w mode and it does well. Tube swaps and mods out the ying yang for them also. Musicians Friend had the 50 watt version in a combo for like 299$ a few days ago, that's a steal.

For the price you won't find a better all tube amp... 5x 12ax7 pre and 2x EL84. Sounds great at low volume and gets beyond loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF0-QRLkDhY
Last edited by drop1337 at May 18, 2014,