***to skip the rant just scroll down, I just felt the need to for some reason haha. It gives some context though.

Frankly this show has gone downhill so badly, I'm not sure if it can be fixed... The judges for the most part are way too nice and afraid to hurt people's feelings, which is not only unhelpful to the goal of finding the best talent, they don't give helpful criticism to the contestants (or at least give them a reality check) who suck or aren't ready for a career. There's always some crappy act that has no business making it to the top three. This year it seems to be that Alex Preston kid (Yeup, I've actually watched a couple episodes this year). His voice is weak and he's stiff, yet people love him. The other two blow him out of the water.

Also, only two winners have ever made good successful careers for themselves, Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood. As far as I know this is how it works: the winner gets a record deal from a big label - that means they get an "album" (or probably just a set of singles) complete with all those working at that label - this means their musicians. Chances are most of these winners have a room full of people from the record label writing their music for them. So they might get one hit single. However, they didn't win a life long record deal, this is limited time. When the label is done with them and they've been given a little push into the water to swim on their own, the idol winners almost never achieve notable success, let alone have another song anyone has ever heard of.

I could go on and on about what's wrong with it... Many people are looking for a crappy act to laugh at rather than talent, bias towards those with good looks rather than being purely talent based, etc.

So here is my proposal: if this show is to produce people with successful careers, they shouldn't just be able to learn songs fast and sing well under pressure, they should be able to write their own material, to be original. I think there should be a later phase of the competition where contestants need to write their own songs and perform them live. If the goal is to make winners that can sustain successful music careers, they need to be able to make original music, not just do karaoke.

I'm not totally certain this would fit the format of the show or how, but I believe this would truly prove who can actually attain a successful music career, and those who should go home and make covers for their friends or sing in bars instead. Opinions? Ideas? Go!
The whole premise of the X-factor/american idol type shows has always been stupid, and it always will be stupid.
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
So here is my proposal: if this show is to produce people with successful careers

The show is not meant to produce people with successful careers (though I'm sure it's beneficial for everyone involved if it does). Regardless of what the stated concept of the show is, the real purpose is to make money. It's insanely profitable as it is and there's absolutely no reason to change the current model as long as that is true.
Last edited by SoakTweed at May 17, 2014,
Quote by Redsectoreh
Idol has been downhill from the very beginning.

Saying that implies that it was ever on a hill in the first place.

Maybe 'over-the-hill'
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Yes, because all the other famous pop stars write their own songs, right?
Check out my band Disturbed
wtf is an american idol. we dont have those, we have capitalistic kings.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Idolatry is a sin.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
i dont knwo what is funnier

the fact u think anyone cares

or ur username
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by TunerAddict
i dont knwo what is funnier

the fact u think anyone cares

or ur username

Eh, it wasn't very likely anyone would... This is the pit anyway, where people like you show up. Screw this show though, it has no hope.

Nice username yourself bro, some of the coolest people I know are addicted to tuners.
Quote by evhledzep5150
Eh, it wasn't very likely anyone would... This is the pit anyway, where people like you show up. Screw this show though, it has no hope.

Nice username yourself bro, some of the coolest people I know are addicted to tuners.

But like literally no one cares or is going to read all your bullshit. So why did you even post it?
American Idol Would Be Better If There Were More Metal Singers Am I Right Or Am I Right ? \m/

It's the AC/DC of TV shows.....You know it'll always be the same, but you just wanna keep listening for some reason
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
American Idol has produced 345 Billboard chart toppers. And there is absolutely no success mentioned on this page of awards and nominations won by American Idol contestants at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_for_American_Idol_contestants

American idol, like most things, may be about making money, but to say the winners almost always have no notable success is a stupid thing to say.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I had a girl suck my dick while I fucked her ass. Can you do that TS?

That sounds awsome.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
The point of American Idol/X Factor/BGT is to make money for people who own the shows, not to give randoms successful careers.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by evhledzep5150

yeah but people like that only show up when there is a stupid ass topic to post in. if you didnt post drawn out obvious shit no one is going to read anyway, you wouldnt get answers like that
Quote by evhledzep5150

You really don't get it, do you?
Quote by MinterMan22
American Idol Would Be Better If There Were More Metal Singers Am I Right Or Am I Right ? \m/

96% of teen listen to real music. Put this in your signature if you're one of the 4% who still listen to rap
u guys are jerks. just here him out. american idol has a chance, look at chris daughtry he ROCKS!!!!!
The American Idol winners don't usually DESERVE success. So who gives a ****? It's just that many fewer shitty singers I have to listen to when I walk through Wal-Mart to buy my Mountain Dew and processed hamburger meat