Hey all!

I am so sorry in advance for the long read...

So, I've been playing guitar for about six years now and I've been playing on telecasters, a strat, and a Hamer CX Series. The last year or so I've gotten really into things like hair metal and 80's metal and all of that good stuff. It really made me want to shred so I started to. I'm at the point where I think getting another guitar specifically for that purpose would be a smart move.

Please don't feed me the "you should be able to play everything on any guitar" line. I understand that. And I can do it. But sometimes I want a guitar that screams. Not only in the pickups, but in the cosmetics as well.

I've been looking really hard into the Ibanez RG series. I really want something that is bright and vibrant. I'm tired of everyone having black and white instruments. I really love the look of this guitar: *********************m7mwlm4 Sorry about the picture pulled off of google. I have looked into it a bunch on youtube. It's an Ibanez RGXXV in florescent pink. (I wasn't kidding when I said I want it to scream ) It needs to have some kind of floating tremolo and preferably some sick inlays like these shark tooth ones. But I'm pretty open minded. I'm sure this search would have been easier back in the 80s XD.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
It seems to have blocked out my link. But I'm sure you could look up the model of guitar.
Quote by eric.renner2
It seems to have blocked out my link. But I'm sure you could look up the model of guitar.

I could, but it's a fluorescent pink Ibanez. Got it.

We don't know where you are (things that are available in one country aren't, in another country), we have no clue about your budget. There are still a couple of billion new "shred" guitars out there and a ton of really good used ones.

Apparently it's largely looks you're basing your buying decision on, so do a Google search on pink superstrats and your day is done.
I am in the midwest in the United States and I'm willing to pay up to around 2000 dollars. Really any personal recommendations will do. I can do some digging based on recommendations. And yes, the look of it is very important at this point. Which is weird because I've always been for tone. I just know that I'm tired of bland.
Quote by eric.renner2
I am in the midwest in the United States and I'm willing to pay up to around 2000 dollars. Really any personal recommendations will do. I can do some digging based on recommendations. And yes, the look of it is very important at this point. Which is weird because I've always been for tone. I just know that I'm tired of bland.

How about your own custom built Carvin built from scratch to your liking? Check out http://www.carvinguitars.com/ Builds generally come out to $2000 too.
Quote by JGM258
How about your own custom built Carvin built from scratch to your liking? Check out http://www.carvinguitars.com/ Builds generally come out to $2000 too.

Ya know, I was actually looking into them pretty heavily today. The Jason Becker tribute models are very nice. And I'm sure I could change the maple fretboard to something with more bite.
Jackson guitars are great shred guitars, make sure you've tried them before you make a decision. You can't go wrong with a Jackson USA guitar. As far as looks, the Jackson kelly, Flying V, Rhoads and warrior guitars have pretty crazy body shapes. But never overlook the dinky and soloist.
Looks like someone beat me to suggesting carvin. I would look at dc127 or a dc700 for a shred guitar.
i got three ibanez prestiges all used in immaculate condition for under your budget. 3550MZ 2570EVSL 1570. $700 $350, $450. $1400, and if you like ibanez the prestige RG's are hard to beat. on the later two benefit from a pickup swap. but they are great guitars. i think i have had all three for three years now. and i love them.

one is a fender showmaster and the other odd one is a 1984 Peavey Horizon II.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by eric.renner2

Besides Carvin, consider:

US Masters
http://www.usmasters.com/allmodels.htm

Fernandes
http://www.fernandesguitars.com

Bowes
http://bowesguitars.com/wordpress/

Jon Kammerer
http://jonkammerercustoms.com/help-template_012.htm
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 18, 2014,
Check out one of those new Washburn Parallaxe guitars.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
About the floating trem - make sure you get a floyd rose floating trem or at least one like it, one that locks. I have an Ibanez GRG150DX (its an entry level guitar, I've been playing for about a year) and it has one of Ibanez's floating trems. It doesn't lock and its horrible. I've hardtailed it and its fine now but before........ It would go out of tune on all the strings when you bended to far, it was impossible to change tunings and to get it to stay in tune took 3 or 4 tunings.
For me personally I love Ibanez RG's; the neck is so easy to play on. So I'd be going with one of the flouro coloured RG's if it was me. But it really does come down to going to a guitar shop and trying different guitars out.
Ibanez RG3520ZE should be within your range. This guitar has EMG 81 & 85 humbucker pickups, Edge Zero ZPS3 trem system (Edge Zero should stay in tune perfectly even after executing multiple divebombs), wedge sharktooth inlays (I've always liked the wedge sharktooth inlays which I think is only featured in Ibanez Prestige series guitars).
Quote by eric.renner2
Ya know, I was actually looking into them pretty heavily today. The Jason Becker tribute models are very nice. And I'm sure I could change the maple fretboard to something with more bite.

I'm not sure what you're saying ("more bite"), but ebony fretboards are standard on most Carvins, with maple and rosewood optional. There's a pretty wide range of finishes. I've got a bunch; mine are pretty much white, black, or wood tone, but I've got an old ('89) bass that's Ferrari red. These are phone shots taken at the GC where I picked it up...
Last edited by dspellman at May 18, 2014,
i'll throw in one of the new BC Rich Mockingbirds (or Warlock but I'm not of fan of them myself). the necks are thicker than many "shred guitars" but the ebony fretboard is very fast.
Two things regarding "standing out."

One, the inexpensive solution: you can take a production guitar and apply graphics. Google "guitar wraps" to find companies like skinyourskunk.com and axewraps.com that make transit vinyl graphic wraps of nearly anything specifically for guitars. Transit vinyl is the stuff that places like West Coast Customs use to add complicated graphics to themed cars. You'll also see it wrapping buses and step vans. Very tough, easy to apply, easy to remove. You can have a different looking guitar every year, and the costs are well under $100.

Two, the expensive spread. One of my favorites is GMW Guitars. http://www.gmwguitars.com/ Why bother with production guitars when you can get something truly distinctive?
you have a ton of options at $2000- ibanez prestige (i'd probably look into them instead of the pink one you're looking at), maybe even a j-custom if you're lucky, esp MII, jackson USA soloist/dinky, musicman, vigier, suhr, etc. etc.

this is no help, but if you haven't tried a lot of superstrats already then ideally you'd want to try as many of those as you can, as they'll all "work" for the type of music you want to play, but things like the neck profile will affect how much you like them (sure you know that already).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?