So I'm wondering which routing would have less latency for an e drum kit

trigger --> IO MIDI --> Interface --> DAW

trigger --> IO USB --> DAW

I know there is one less step in the usb chain but isn't midi less data? I dunno im kind of confused. Also since the interface is built for audio wouldn't it be faster than the serial bus in my the laptop? I guess both routes use the same bus once in the computer though.

The reason I ask is because a ddrum dd1 for 200$ has all the necessary IO for a 5 piece kit but doesn't have a usb connection only midi on the other hand if I can find an older Alesis trigger IO for about the same money has USB and midi
Last edited by BL1NDSIDE-J at May 18, 2014,
Having used a USB in to record drums before, I can tell you there's some definite latency. It is far easier to set up though and the signal is still just midi. Beauty of it being though, is you can just move the midi data into the right place if latency has been an issue.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Hmm so midi is better then? I guess the real question is how does the IO send data over the USB if its just midi over the USB it would probably be faster I have a hunch though that it is just audio which means it will probably be slower. I need more info I guess. I know, I know I'm a ****ing noob.
Last edited by BL1NDSIDE-J at May 18, 2014,
Normally the USB outs on drum modules send midi data, not audio.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I get hair brained Ideas about shit some times, my bad.
Last edited by BL1NDSIDE-J at May 19, 2014,