Hi.
I just purchased a soundcard called "Focusrite Itrack Solo" (96kh/s).
I'm gonna record and album using that souncard and the guitar rig either.
I was just wondering if I could manage to record a professional sounding using both the Guitar rig and the mentioned soundcard.

Anyone here to explain the sounding difference between The guitar rig and an actual Amp?
(I might be regretting to have purchased the soundcard to light up the guitarRig ,if there is a great gap between the sound of guitar rig and an actual amp ! )
depends on what software you have and how much you know about using said software.
its not easy
the effort you put into learning your instrument is equal to to learning how to make listenable recordings
If you have a USB interface your soundcard will be bypassed so it doesn't matter what it is.

I've never used guitar rig specifically, but it's definitely possible to get nice sounding guitar tracks with amp sims with appropriate tweaking and fiddling.
Pete Davis used Guitar Rig for his guitars in Invalids, I think he made the guitars sound great, but he didn't just slap on a preset and roll with it, he tweaked and eq'd the hell out of them to get a good sound, so I guess the answer is yes if you're a good producer, probably no if you're not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2wcZsxM-d0
Quote by coldandgrey
I was just wondering if I could manage to record a professional sounding using both the Guitar rig and the mentioned soundcard.
Well about as much as you could record a professional sounding album using a marshall MG.

Yeah you could, but you need to be good at mixing stuff and fiddling with stuff.
Make it simpler and go for a good sounding amp sim.
Softube's amp rooms, bx_rockrack, LePou's stuff...
Quote by coldandgrey
Anyone here to explain the sounding difference between The guitar rig and an actual Amp?
Well you know the bad sounding digital stuff everyone's talking about?
It's not that but it's close.

I mean to me, it doesn't really sound the same but it's a bit hard to explain.
Try it and hear for yourself.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by coldandgrey

I'm gonna record an album...
...wondering if I could manage to record a professional sounding

If you need to ask, the answer is No. You can't record something professional sounding. Yet.

Learning to record, mix & master an album is like learning a whole new instrument. It takes a lot of time, practice and dedication.

I'm not saying don't try, just have realistic expectations.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Sure, why not, Def Leppard did it on their last record. Hell even going back to the Hysteria days, the guitars were recorded through a Rockman, not even an actual amplifier Its all about the processing from there on.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Yeah, the issue's not so much GuitarRig vs a real amp as it is your ability as an engineer.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
If Rob Hoffman or Clive Davis comes over to your house and engineers/produces it... yes definitely. As a tool Guitar Rig is fine. The tool falls short recording an album without a boatload of talent.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I'm not gonna bring out the best out in a virtual Amp like the Guitar Rig !
What I am meant to do, meant to have, is a prefab or Default presets the guitar rig already has.
There's just nothing more than that.
What I really wanna know is the "sound quality of those default presets" VS "the actual Amps" the software is presenting virtually. And how close it is.
The guitar rig is most certainly made for a pro soundcard.
You would only get a good tone if you use it alongside a great soundcard.(like I do !).

I've been going through my newly purchased soundcard by plugging it into the guitar rig and it's awesome !
I used to work the guitar rig out with an "on-board" PC soundcard and the sound just sucked.
But now it's working out great with a new pro soundcard.

I don't see it if somebody's gonna have any trouble using the guitar rig with a professional soundcard. (The people who are just whining about the tone, are probably using it with a poor,on-board soundcard).
Last edited by coldandgrey at May 20, 2014,
The actual tone produced by guitar rig is not affected by your sound card/interface. The reproduction is, but not the actual sound.
Also, I cant stand guitar rig on any of my stuff or anything my friend has done (he hates it too). We use a Scarlett 2i4 and Saffire Pro 40 respectively, so nothing crappy here.

Presets will sound cool on their own but will start to fail in a full mix where they are not suited. As for how close, that's a pretty heavily debated topic.
There's no reason why you can't, like people said it's down to your skill.

If you want something that will just sound good with minimal effort then I'd look into EZMIX2. It's made for demoing but it should give you results that are at the very least listenable. It's based around using presets

As for the QUALITY of the emulation in GuitarRig. It's great for clean and crunch, not so great for metal. If you don't wanna put money down on stuff look in our sticky. There's a bunch of free amp sims there. The presets are going to be crap though, presets always are. It's impossible to make a preset that sounds good in every situation.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at May 20, 2014,
I don't seem to find the sticky for amp sim.
where is it located ?
Gimmi the link to it.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40
Title - The NEW List Of Amp Simulators, Cab Sims and Impulse Responses

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1522593

Come on, you could have done it even without our help
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.