Hi,

Just got my hands on a scarlett 8i6 in order to record some stuff from my orange dark terror. Using ASIO4ALL I managed to be able to record to reaper, then playback the recording with my onboard sound card and standard usb speakers (which didn't work with the ASIO driver provided). I don't have studio monitors but this solution is fine for now while I work out how to use reaper properly. My onboard is simply for playback after I have recorded.

However, my mic is on the way so I want to do 2 things:

1) Mic up amp > XLR lead > 8i6 > PC - straight record the sound from my amp, should be simple enough.

2) Guitar > 8i6 > PC - record dry signal BUT be able to hear what I'm playing through my amp while I'm playing it - not monitoring through speakers i.e. I need to be plugged into my amp and the DI box at the same time (??).

Is #2 even possible with this gear? I can't seem to find any resources where people have done this. I have read about people recording dry and amped sound at the same time through these DI boxes but not sure how that's possible seeing as the guitar can only be connected to one thing. Maybe this is a dumb question but I've fallen big time at the very first hurdle! Thanks for any input.

Sam.
So, what you wanna do is getting a re-amping box.
You connect the re-amping box to the interface and use the interface as output device too.

Though you wanna record a dry guitar signal, so you could just use an amp sim and **** the amp.
Recording a dry and amped sound at the same time could be done but it's painfully unconvenient.

Anyway there's probably a much simpler way to achieve what you want with the gear you currently have, but we don't know what you actually wanna achieve.

What do you wanna achieve, TS?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Anyway there's probably a much simpler way to achieve what you want with the gear you currently have, but we don't know what you actually wanna achieve.

What do you wanna achieve, TS?

I love the sound of my orange dark terror with OD out front and an EQ in the loop, so that's why I'm going to mic it and record a track straight from the amp.

I also want the abliity to record dry so I can (a) reamp and record again with the mic (b) test a few simulations on the PC.

My problem is that if I play into the DI box, it's like playing an unplugged electric guitar, no gain, no effects, nothing. I have no studio monitors so I can't hear what I'm playing.

I thought if I could record a dry signal, but at the same time be able to hear myself through my amp, this would work nicely. The nature of reamping doesn't seem to solve this initial problem.

If I clarify, I don't want to record an amped sound and a dry signal at the same time, I will record them separately. However I do want to record dry but hear myself playing through the amp because I have no decent way of monitoring what's going on as I play. Does this make sense?

**EDIT** even maybe I could connect from a line out on the back of the 8i6 straight into the speaker cab, so at least I could hear what I am playing.
Last edited by samwillc at May 18, 2014,
Yeah, yeah that makes sense.

You can do three things.
1, aka what a cheap perfectionist ass like me would do - you practice enough to play the thing perfectly, exactly as you want it to be done, you plug your guitar into your fx and then the fx into your amp, you play the thing perfectly and you record it while you do that.

2, aka the one explained in my first post - you get a reamp box like the ones Radial eng. does, you plug the guitar into the interface, then one of the interface's exits into the reamp box, you plug the box into the fx that go to your amp, you play what you want while recording AND monitoring what you're recording through the interface.
That you can do either by passing the signal trough the computer first or by direct hardware monitoring if your interface gives you that option.
Then you play the thing.

3, aka a simpler number 2 - you record direct into the interface and you use whatever amp sim for monitoring, then with a reamp box you reamp the thing later.

4, aka I didn't even think of this at the beginning - you get an ABY box or a Y shaped cable and you plug the guitar into the lower part of the Y, the rest you can imagine without my help.

No, your last idea wouldn't work, you'd need an amp, a line level signal isn't strong enough to make a speaker move.
Refer to one of the above.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
The thing wouldn't work, it's a switcher and it doesn't have the option of engaging both outs.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
**** no, you don't wanna get a cheap DI box.
That will sound hella bad and it wouldn't work.

The problem with passive pickups is that they output very little signal and have a very high output impedance.
DI boxes are used to bring the high impedance down to line level impedance so you can plug the thing into a line mixer or an audio interface that doesn't have a hi-z input.
Sending a line level signal into a guitar amp will sound plain bad because of the impedance mismatch.

Get a decent reamp box and be done with it, or keep it simple and work with what you have or get a Y shaped cable if you're really on the cheap.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
It's not really the cost, more that I wish I knew what the difference was between these devices! I'm using an epiphone prophecy with emg 81/85 actives (9V battery) if that makes any difference.
I've done this with my 2i4 before. The easiest way to do it is to turn the monitoring knob on your interface all the way to the direct side, then run a cable from one of the outputs on the back of your interface into the input of your amp.