I've been in lessons for around 8 months now, I feel somewhat confident of my abilities yet I know there's much work to be done. My problem right now is concerned with jamming with my bandmates.

I block out.

When writing and creating a vocal line at home I usually get to develop an acceptable vocal line. The key word there is develop, it usually takes me some time and sometimes even some listening back and changing things up. The point is, when I'm given time I can usually come up with a vocal line.

The immediacy of improvisation and jamming is what gets me, I usually end up humming the base note or going with a long "Ohhhhh" but I don't seem to produce acceptable or good vocal lines right then and there, while jamming.

Have any of you had this issue? If so how did you fix it? What can I do to improve my jamming/improvisational skills?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
Current Gear:
Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio (Bass)
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Boss ODB-3 (Overdrive Pedal)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
I don't know of any bands who jam out with vocals. It's usually just instruments. At least i never heard anything that sounds good. I also don't know of any band who would write songs like that. I guess its also hard because the vocal line depends a lot on the lyrics as well, and just making it up is kinda hard. I wouldn't worry about it, if you are good at writing songs the old fashioned way, you don't really have to force this jamming thing.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Gorky is right. Certainly go to these practices while the guys are working and get a feel for the song, but only write when you have the tracks. Unless you have a stroke of luck, anything you create while they are playing (and changing tempo, key etc) will probably be various levels of bad. And that's not a critique on you.
Quote by merriman44
Gorky is right. Certainly go to these practices while the guys are working and get a feel for the song, but only write when you have the tracks. Unless you have a stroke of luck, anything you create while they are playing (and changing tempo, key etc) will probably be various levels of bad. And that's not a critique on you.

This is complete bullshit. OP, if you want to improve at improvising a vocal line, then practice improvising vocal lines. Do it at home with jam tracks, songs you like, whatever. Improvisation on an instrument is a skill like any other, and the voice is an instrument like any other.