I was playing my Twin Reverb and about a hour into playing the low E sting sounded terrible like a deep buzz ..... I checked all my cables and turn the bass knob down to 4 from 6 .... right after that the fuse blew .....

I don't have another fuse to try just yet but I'm thinking something must of happened that caused the fuse to blow , what do you guy's think happened or any suggestions ?? .....

I have only owned this amp for about 3 to 4 months but looks like it's pretty much still original

thanks , Eric
Last edited by Fumble fingers at May 19, 2014,
Tubes? Low voltage to the amp?
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
not sure on the tubes , it was sounding great until all at once it sounded like a speaker was blowing when low E string was played ..... voltage to the amp seems fine
A fried tube will take out a fuse for sure.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Before I got to the fuse blowing, I was already thinking, "dodgey power tube." The blown fuse confirmed it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
OP word of advice, fuses are like $.10 from some sites, go through all of your amps and get the sizes/types you need and get 10 of each. pay attention to standard and slo-blow.

i have a container that holds all of mine. kind of a tackle box type thing.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
whats a good way to tell if a tube is blown ??

I here you on the spare fuses !! , I will have plenty next time
You put your spare tubes in and see if the problem goes away.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
since it is new to me , maybe I should re-tube it

so a tube going out makes it sound funny like that ??.... why just the low E string ??... the other strings sounded good at the same time
Quote by Fumble fingers
whats a good way to tell if a tube is blown ??

I here you on the spare fuses !! , I will have plenty next time

DVOM and check for continuity (in ohms). if you get a number the fuse is fine, if you get no continuity it is for sure blown.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
They do all sorts of weird shit before they die. Sometimes the top end will drop out first, sometimes the bottom, sometimes the volume fades in and out, sometimes they go bang and smoke comes out the back from the blown screen resistor. But the bottom end farting, that's a dead giveaway.

I'd completely retube it and buy a spare set of power tubes and a spare preamp tube or two. I can't remember, 1973? 12AX7 and a 12AY7? I dunno, whatever; have a spare of each type it has. You don't need a full set of spare preamp tubes, one or two is usually enough.
But ALWAYS keep spares. If you use your spare, replace it immediately.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
thanks for the tips !! ..... looks like I'm investing in tubes and fuses this week .... I also have a mid 70's Super Reverb thats original too that does some quirky stuff now and then too , I guess it's ready to go also ?? ..... I sure don't want any trouble when I'm out playing
Like I said. You throw your spares in and see if the problem goes away. Really, if you have spares for everything, any idiot can fault find and fix an old tube amp. Nothing else ever goes wrong with those old Fenders but tubes. Well, the occasional dirty socket or scratchy pot but usually it's just tubes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification