hello all! i would like to get myself a new electric guitar, with a budget arround 700 euro. my most important concern is the sound, and although i know the amp plays the biggest role in this, if the guitar helps get a black to death metal sound and in between, but also good clean or solo, all the better. for example i really like dimmu puritanical album sound. oh and if it is a flying v model that'd be great lol.

so i would like to ask you guys, what brand/model etc should i get for the money i have saved?

cheers and thanx!
What's your current gear?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
peavey vypyr 75 and some second hand old squier which i believe has 1 or 2 broken pickups. not totally, but still..
Would you consider selling your Vypyr and put it towards the fund for a new amp as well?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_6505_plus_112_combo.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/jackson_js32t_king_v_bk_2.htm (with a pickup swap, in the future)

You could probably find these used as well for a bit cheaper, depending on your location.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Fender Modern Player Thin Line Telecaster Deluxe, thats what you should get.

Actually I don't know, you should just go try as many as you can and let it sort itself out.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
i wont be selling the amp anytime in the near future, i'd rather invest in a really good guitar for now.
I'm confused then. You acknowledge that the amp is the most important part, but you still don't want to make sure that's priority no. 1? Granted the guitar you have is shocking for the genre, but you really don't have to spend much on a guitar to get a decent enough sound. I daresay you'll struggle to tell the difference between a $200 guitar and a $700 through a Vypyr.

I'm not saying that guitars don't affect the sound, but you really should consider something like a new amp. The 6505+ combo at that price is perfect for what you want and it'll smash the Vypyr.

If you're still hellbent on a guitar though (for some reason), go out to a store and try out a couple around your budget. It's the only way to know if you'll like something or not. We can't make that decision for you.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
thing is.. the amp is kinda new and im not morally ready to part with it yet.. weird as it may be. i completely understand what u say, that the guitar influences the sound only very little, but since i got a few bucks saved, i would like to get at least a mid range guitar if not top range to be satisfied. dont need some original dimebag signature space rocket of a guitar or anything like that, just something, well.. very good, im ready to spend the whole budget for that. my problem is that i dont know the market out there, i dont really know how to choose. prolly it was a bad start to say about the sound and all, but i thought that maybe there are guitars that work better with my amp and ones that do worse, some kind of compatibility issue. if there's no such thing, then im just curious what's the best guitar i could buy with the 700 euro. if u could make something like a 3-4 item list with guitars for 400-500-600-700 that would be awesome, if doesnt seem like too much to ask.

edit: i dont know what to look for in a guitar...
Last edited by dystopian4ever at May 19, 2014,
I would suggest checking out a higher end Epiphone, one with Gibson pickups. Gibson pickups are my first thought for black and death metal tones, as most of those guys didn't really use gear that was necessarily "suited" for the sound, and I think the loose PAF style pups are actually a part of that sound.

Unless you're talking about modern style black/death. Then that's different.

EMG 81/85 are never a bad choice either, they are certainly viable and certainly have been used by many.

I see that Jackson - I'm with the others, I personally wouldn't spend that much on a guitar with the amp you have. But if you want to, you should try to get to a store and play some stuff, make sure that what you're getting really works in your hands so you won't have a doubt about not wanting to upgrade it/get something else in the future.

EDIT: I searched through Thomann, and there's no need for Epiphone - this Gibby is basically the same price as the Epi w/ Gibson pups.

Gibson LP Studio 50 Tribute - €639 http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_lp_studio_50_tribute_cb_db.htm
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at May 19, 2014,
Quote by dystopian4ever
http://www.thomann.de/gb/jackson_kvxmg_king_v_bk.htm

this looks appealing to me, what do u think about it?

uh.. if thats that, thank you for your time, and sorry for the bother.

This would be a fine choice, but really it would depend on whether or not you liked the feel of it.

LTD EC1000 is another good one to look out for. It's kind of hard to mark a list because there's a lot of guitar out there for your budget.

I'm still going to go ahead and push the new amp idea though.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
I've got an ESP LTD EC-1000, they've got fast necks and killer tone and sound with the EMG's in it. They definitely get awesome dirt/crunch and are perfect too for when ya want to make it scream!
If you want a guitar for metal playing, ESP is a great brand to look at. If you are serious about the V shape, then there is the LTD V-401 with EMGs for about 510 euro. Though like others are saying, the EC-1000 is a great guitar for the style you want to play.
Gear:

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson
Just remember the shorter scale length on the EC models compared to the M/MH series
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by SexyBeast810
If you want a guitar for metal playing, ESP is a great brand to look at. If you are serious about the V shape, then there is the LTD V-401 with EMGs for about 510 euro. Though like others are saying, the EC-1000 is a great guitar for the style you want to play.

^Yes. I have the 401 and its a beautiful guitar. The overall quality is superb. It plays beautifully. Beautiful inlays by the way, i love them. I have no regrets at all, though granted i modded mine a fair bit. Would you be planning on keeping Actives or going passive?
-Main Gear-
ESP Ltd V-401 + D Activator N&B
De Armond/Guild 2000 M72 Bluesbird w/ USA Toastertops
Peavey JSX & XXL
Mesa Boogie Rectifier Vertical 2x12
Airis Effects Savage Drive
Last edited by TYSHADOWS at May 19, 2014,
Quote by TYSHADOWS
Would you be planning on keeping Actives or going passive?

by that i dont know what u mean. im such a noob..
and.. could u maybe explain exactly how the scale length affects my playing? i also dare ask if u could compare the jackson i linked to with the ESP. thanks for all the replies btw.
Last edited by dystopian4ever at May 19, 2014,
Quote by dystopian4ever
by that i dont know what u mean. im such a noob..
and.. could u maybe explain exactly how the scale length affects my playing? i also dare ask if u could compare the jackson i linked to with the ESP. thanks for all the replies btw.

Active or passive pickups. Actives (atleast emgs) are normally thinner and more compressed, doing the distorted metal tone well, but the cleans are stale and unnoteworthy. They also require batteries. Passive pickups are more organic normally and clean tone is undoubtedly better. No battery. Im a passive guy but you can look up and research the debate on your own to get your own opinion, completely personal choice. The scale length to a new player wont make a dramatic impact, but it will be better for lower tunings and bassiness. Thats why basses are normally 34in while guitars are 24-26. My preferred is 25.5, but again a personal choice. Some like shorter.

There isnt a major difference between guitars, both are 25.5 scale length (or 648mm). Both have active pickups (can be switched at any time). Both neck through (considered the best neck joint for increases sustain quality etc) the major MAJOR difference here is the floyd rose bridge (whammy bar). The ESP ltd has thru body strings. If your such a "noob" to this stuff i would highly recommend no floyd rose. It makes changing tunings and strings a pain, so many more things to go wrong, and any tech work will automatically be more expensive, not to mention the guitar itself. Too much hassle, too little reward. Especially for a newer player.

Heres the ESP link to the black model http://www.espguitars.com/products/9804-v-401fm-stblk?category_id=1963356-v

They also have red and three tone burst. Its full name is the V-401fm
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
Last edited by TYSHADOWS at May 19, 2014,
Quote by TYSHADOWS
Active or passive pickups. Actives (atleast emgs) are normally thinner and more compressed, doing the distorted metal tone well, but the cleans are stale and unnoteworthy. They also require batteries. Passive pickups are more organic normally and clean tone is undoubtedly better. No battery. Im a passive guy but you can look up and research the debate on your own to get your own opinion, completely personal choice. The scale length to a new player wont make a dramatic impact, but it will be better for lower tunings and bassiness. Thats why basses are normally 34in while guitars are 24-26. My preferred is 25.5, but again a personal choice. Some like shorter.

There isnt a major difference between guitars, both are 25.5 scale length (or 648mm). Both have active pickups (can be switched at any time). Both neck through (considered the best neck joint for increases sustain quality etc) the major MAJOR difference here is the floyd rose bridge (whammy bar). The ESP ltd has thru body strings. If your such a "noob" to this stuff i would highly recommend no floyd rose. It makes changing tunings and strings a pain, so many more things to go wrong, and any tech work will automatically be more expensive, not to mention the guitar itself. Too much hassle, too little reward. Especially for a newer player.

Heres the ESP link to the black model http://www.espguitars.com/products/9804-v-401fm-stblk?category_id=1963356-v

They also have red and three tone burst. Its full name is the V-401fm

i am hearing opinions and not solid, however followed by a disclaimer. EMG60's make nice cleans and i know there are other models of the 60's as well not "unnoteworthy."

neck thru's are NOT the best neck joint. set neck and bolt on can be better or not. it depends on the quality of construction. all can be equal.

may not be a hassle to him on the floyd, maybe he needs it for what he wants. there are tons of information on how to properly set up floyds, and a good chunk on here. they are a little more fussy though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
so the passive pickups are weaker for distortion than the actives? and how about the batteries, where do u put them, somewhere in the body of the guitar? how long do they last?
Quote by dystopian4ever
so the passive pickups are weaker for distortion than the actives? and how about the batteries, where do u put them, somewhere in the body of the guitar? how long do they last?

If you HAD to get passives though I'd suggest something from Bareknuckle.

And for a guitar in my opinion you should look into the ESP LTD H-1001 w/ Floyd Rose. or ESP LTD MH-1000.
Last edited by Weaksaux at May 20, 2014,
Quote by dystopian4ever

Not really, it can be quite opposite. There are some really high output passive pickups that leave the typical actives behind but active pickups tend to do do high output cleaner and tighter. Actives are afterall actually low output pickups with built-in preamp that jacks up the output. High output passives like my X2N have strong magnets and are overwound to hell, it pushes the amp hard but is not exactly the most articulate pickup out there.

Guitars with active pickups stock have a separate compartment for the 9 volt battery. Just look at the pictures of some guitar with EMG actives (any ESP-LTD over 400€ basically) in Thomann and you will spot it.

The batteries last a LOOONG time, the small preamp takes very little power but you will have to remember to unplug the cable from the guitar when you are done playing. Leaving the cable in keeps draining the battery unnecessarily.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Weaksaux
If you HAD to get passives though I'd suggest something from Bareknuckle.

Not with his amp. If you go Bareknuckles, you have to get a really good amp to go along with it.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
Not with his amp. If you go Bareknuckles, you have to get a really good amp to go along with it.

This is true.

Sorry, I only read the original post at first and only just realized he had the Vypyr after you said.
Last edited by Weaksaux at May 20, 2014,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am hearing opinions and not solid, however followed by a disclaimer. EMG60's make nice cleans and i know there are other models of the 60's as well not "unnoteworthy."

neck thru's are NOT the best neck joint. set neck and bolt on can be better or not. it depends on the quality of construction. all can be equal.

may not be a hassle to him on the floyd, maybe he needs it for what he wants. there are tons of information on how to properly set up floyds, and a good chunk on here. they are a little more fussy though.

Yes im giving my opinions. Isnt that what these forums are about for the most part? From the actives i have used, none are as good clean as any of the passives ive used. I never said they were bad, i said they wernt noteworthy. Meaning you dont buy emgs for the clean tone. I havnt tried the 60 so i dont have experiance that way

Makes sense for the neck join but this is the first im hearing someone say this. I think people would say in general though, it goes bolt on, set, through. Obviously theres exceptions, there are to everything.

If he wants a floyd more power to him, im just saying that to a new player, which is what the TS sounds like, it will be alot of work in the beginning unil he gets the hang of it. In my experiance, the trick you can do with tem arnt worth to to a guy like me who changes tunings alot. To someone that knows their sound and stays in the same tuning theyre great. Id get one myself. But i dont so i dont. Im just warning TS, it will be work.
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
ok so i found where the batteries go, hurray... as i understand these are special batteries, that i can only buy from a guitar store, is that it?
Quote by dystopian4ever
ok so i found where the batteries go, hurray... as i understand these are special batteries, that i can only buy from a guitar store, is that it?

No. Just normal 9 volt batteries, same things you put in fire detectors or RF controlled toy cars.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
great its just that this guy on youtube presents his jackson and sais something like "this is where the EMG 9 volt battery goes", like it was specially built by EMG.

after all the discussion im leaning towards buying the jackson KVXMG king v, even tho kinda superficial, the v shape and especially the jackson v shape has this hold on me.. i saw another interesting one:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/esp_ltd_alexi_200_bk.htm
i noticed only one pickup on this one, im not sure how that matters to me, what do you think? do u think its better than the jackson or viceversa?
a few things to keep in mind. active pickups don't always sound great through digital amps (just saying). honestly with the vypyr worrying about getting high end pups is a waste as the amp won't really see them. of course you want good pups but I wouldn't make them a priority for now. no reason that the vypyr needs to be replaced right now it will do the trick. OP get a guitar that suites your needs. most guitars will produce a reasonably decent clean so unless you need crystal cleans not really an issue. look at what some of your fav players use and go from there.
Quote by dystopian4ever
great its just that this guy on youtube presents his jackson and sais something like "this is where the EMG 9 volt battery goes", like it was specially built by EMG.

after all the discussion im leaning towards buying the jackson KVXMG king v, even tho kinda superficial, the v shape and especially the jackson v shape has this hold on me.. i saw another interesting one:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/esp_ltd_alexi_200_bk.htm
i noticed only one pickup on this one, im not sure how that matters to me, what do you think? do u think its better than the jackson or viceversa?

I can see how that might be confusing.

V's are awesome, especially if you like playing in classical posture (guitar on left leg, neck angled upwards. With V your right leg is inside the V) when sitting down. Dont let anyone say a bad thing about V's, its just a great shape in my not-so-humble opinion.

Regarding neck pickup, if you were all about brutal stuff neck pickup is unnecessary 99% of the time. But cleans in my opinion sound much better through neck or both pickups on. Also if you want warm gentle leads, bridge pickup is not good because of how aggressive it sounds. So personally I'd go for the Jackson.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
^thats the same one i compared before
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
jesus.. my bad! there was talk of more than one guitar in the first page and somehow( dont know how) i forgot. it is settled then. jackson ftw. big thanx to all you guys!
Quote by dystopian4ever
jesus.. my bad! there was talk of more than one guitar in the first page and somehow( dont know how) i forgot. it is settled then. jackson ftw. big thanx to all you guys!

dont worry about it. Be sure to read up on floyd roses, theyre pretty simple once you know what to do but until you use it for awhile itll be a pain. Make sure wherever u buy it from has a good return policy so if you hate it you can get your money back to get something else
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL