The hunt for my next bass amp is ongoing, and at this point after not being happy with the sound of anything, I'm realizing that the bass sound I'm after seems to be Fender.

I'm curious about the Bassman 1200, but I can't find much info about it. The manual says it puts out 1200W @ 2O (thanks, real helpful there...). Any idea how much it will out out at 4O or 8O? Can I safely use a 300W 8O cab with it (that's what the Bassman 410H cab is rated at)?

And lastly, the obvious question, is there any other amp with a solid Fendery bass tone with A) around/at least 300W @ 8O and B) solid state (or hybrid with tube preamp)?

As popular as the Fender Bassman 300 Pro is, I really don't want to ever have to deal with retubing that monster, or the weight.

EDIT: Also, is the Fender Bassman 250/210 any good?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at May 19, 2014,
There is a reason why they did not list the output ratings above 2 ohms: the Fender Bassman 1200 was rated at only 550 watts at 8 ohms. The Bassman 1200 was something of an oddball that was released back in the day when Fender bought out Sunn Amplification. The Fender was essentially a copy of Sunn's model 1200 bass amp. Fender incorporated a few updates to fix the overheating problem that had plagued the original Sunn design.

Fender is in a strange place with their bass amplifiers right now. They changed the exterior of the Bassman 300 to make it look like an old-style Fender head, came out with a 100-watt version to go with the 300-watt flagship, and beyond that, it is all the Bronco and the Rumble series. So they seem to be focusing at the two far ends of the price spectrum. There really is nothing in-between them in the current Fender bass amplifier lineup.

The big thing in bass amplifiers these days is the "micro amps" that use Class D circuitry so they can pack 500+ watts of output into a box the size of a car stereo. A lot of these amps are truly amazing. The GK and the SWR offerings have lots of useable tones, and they are as loud as hell. Plus, you can carry the amp head in your gig bag and barely know it is there. The GK and the SWR definitely have that deep, low end that was one of the hallmarks of the Fender 1200. I think you should check out some of these amps. I don't know if Markbass has a micro amp, but their other stuff is very good also.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Thanks for the info, and I'll definitely look into GK & SWR.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X