Hey guys, around June or July I will have a trip to Japan (Me myself is from Indonesia)

So I decided to buy a new guitar from Japan but I still have an argument with myself whether to take Local brand (Fernandes, Tokai, etc.) or PRS SE Custom 24.

Why take PRS SE from Japan?

In Indonesia the price of PRS is pretty much higher than the one I checked in Japan guitar shop website (Ishibashi & Ikebe-Gakki) and that PRS is an one hell of beautiful guitar

So the point are:
- Can somebody share their shopping experience in Japan?
- Which guitar should I take?

For your information:
- I play mostly any kind of rock (Hendrix, AC/DC, Oasis, Mr. Big, Joe Satch, Steve Vai, Nirvana, Metallica, etc.)
- Currently my guitar is only Ibanez RG and a classical Yamaha C350
- My budget is below 80K JPY (I'm using Japan currency because I need to buy it from there)
- I want a non-floating tremolo as I already have my Ibanez.

Thanks guys, really looking forward to your opinion
Last edited by simplevd at May 19, 2014,
800 JPY is 7.90 usd....i dont know if you meant 800000 or you hope on finding the deal of the century...but uhhhh, I would probably go with a PRS SE. Its a fairly safe choice.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
I'd go with a Japanese made brand if in japan. you'll get a far better quality guitar than a Indonesian made one. look used at the shops if you can to stretch your $ further. and yeah 800 yen won't even get you a budget cd let alone a guitar.
For sure, get a Japanese brand guitar.

If you're looking for Japanese clones of the American made counterparts, look at Tokai and Edwards (ESP), they make fantastic quality Gibson and Fender clones at that price.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
what kind of guitar do you want? humbuckers with a non-floating trem?

or single coils for the nirvana/hendrix type stuff?
I was under the impression that guitars were relatively expensive in Japan (even more for a Japanese make than in the US)..true?
Quote by gregs1020
what kind of guitar do you want? humbuckers with a non-floating trem?

or single coils for the nirvana/hendrix type stuff?

Either of them is fine also bcos other than PRS SE custom 24 I also take into account a copy of strat from tokai
Quote by Tempoe
I was under the impression that guitars were relatively expensive in Japan (even more for a Japanese make than in the US)..true?

I'm not so sure about that since I'm from Indonesia, but here we don't have Guitar Center, Musician Friend's, etc related to the guitar store that have a complete line up of guitar from any kind of brand. In Indonesia is pretty hard to find a guitar store with a good price also
You make up for that by living in one of the most beautiful places in the World I guess.
Well if you think Indonesia is beautiful, I can't argue with you, but you should try a traffic in Jakarta, lol

but thx by the way, really appreciate that ^^
Quote by Tempoe

domestic guitars in japan are no more expensive there than in the US. there are many guitars available there that aren't sold elsewhere as well. now you may find that the lower end stuff is Chinese or Indonesian made and not Japanese (just like in the US) for what the OP has to spend he can certainly find a used Japanese made guitar that will be very good quality.
Quote by simplevd
For your information:
- I play mostly any kind of rock (Hendrix, AC/DC, Oasis, Mr. Big, Joe Satch, Steve Vai, Nirvana, Metallica, etc.)
- Currently my guitar is only Ibanez RG and a classical Yamaha C350
- My budget is below 80K JPY (I'm using Japan currency because I need to buy it from there)
- I want a non-floating tremolo as I already have my Ibanez.

Thanks guys, really looking forward to your opinion

For all of these applications, you really can't go wrong with the PRS, though I have owned a Japanese "knockoff" that was really, really good as well.

But for overall tone and playability, the PRS SE is your best bet! Best of luck!
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Quote by simplevd
Either of them is fine also bcos other than PRS SE custom 24 I also take into account a copy of strat from tokai

in japan you can get a used fender dmc strat and a nice tokai for under 80K yen.
It's not like I'm impatient but I only go to Japan by June or July, hahaha

btw that T's Guitar Arc is really seems nice, lol
I'd get something japanese, but that's just me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
As an owner of a 2013 PRS SE Custom 24, without a doubt go for the Japanese brands.

Wouldn't touch another one of these with a stick.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Where in Japan are you going to be? If you're going to be in Tokyo, you should definitely visit the Ochanomizu area. They have about 40 guitar stores there with wide selections, so you're bound to find something you like. I bought a guitar there myself about 2 months ago.

You can get a pretty well-made Japanese guitar for under 80k, something like a nice Tokai, Edwards, Ibanez, Fender Japan or FGN/Fujigen. If you're willing to go used (there are a lot of used guitar stores in Ochanomizu as well) there are even more possibilities. You obviously don't have to get a Japanese guitar, but you're going to be here anyway, so you might as well check out some other stuff as well.
Maximum Volume Yields Maximum Results
Quote by simplevd
can anyone share their shopping experience in Japan?

would love to but never been there.

plenty of stuff on rinkya, ikebe and ishibashi to buy from here though.
me neither

there was a massive thread on tgp a while back about shopping in japan. maybe do a search over there?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by simplevd
can anyone share their shopping experience in Japan?

Quote by HollishGuy
Where in Japan are you going to be? If you're going to be in Tokyo, you
should definitely visit the Ochanomizu area. They have about 40 guitar stores there with wide selections, so you're bound to find something you like. I bought a guitar there myself about 2 months ago.

You can get a pretty well-made Japanese guitar for under 80k, something like a nice Tokai, Edwards, Ibanez, Fender Japan or FGN/Fujigen. If you're willing to go used (there are a lot of used guitar stores in Ochanomizu as well) there are even more possibilities. You obviously don't have to get a Japanese guitar, but you're going to be here anyway, so you might as well check out some other stuff as well.

+1

Quote by Dave_Mc
me neither

there was a massive thread on tgp a while back about shopping in japan. maybe do a search over there?

Huge TGP thread about Ochanomizu: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1301483
that's the one. I was gonna go look but then i got sidetracked by dinner. thanks for saving me some bother
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?