I am in need of help.

I am going to improve my youtube guitar video quality (Check links in signature). I figured it wouldn't be that hard of a step from this total amateuristic (point and shoot) to something which looks more professional.

I have 2 questions concerning mics. What microphone do I need to buy? I want it as affordable as possible and I play rock/metal(ish). I want the mic to do good on clean-, crunchy and distorted tones. Any suggestions?

How do I hook my mic up to a computer for some recording program? I don't have the money for all those expensive mixers (yet), so I am going to have to do it with software. I have got a dedicated microphone plug on my laptop, but it's not the traditional microphone plug. It's an auxiliry input. Is there some kind of USB hub I can get for that?

Thanks in advance,

Liam.
Please see this thread that was directly above this one, and is below it at the moment.

You are both asking the same questions.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Okay, I've checked it.

So I get two options. The microphone will be a shure sm57. The two options I have is either a shure x2u with the shure sm57 for €190, or I will get a shure sm57 and the M-audio M-track summing up at €198. The €8 difference doesn't really matter to me at this price point. So what do you recommend? What would give the best sounding results? The M-audio M-track or the Shure x2u?
Is the X2U the microphone attachment with q USB jack thingy? If yes, avoid it like the plague.

Fast Track aren't great but it would do. If possible, see if you can get a good deal on a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and the '57. What country are you based in? As you've quoted Euros, thomann.de have lots of deals on stuff like this and ship fast and cheap.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Is the X2U the microphone attachment with q USB jack thingy? If yes, avoid it like the plague.

Fast Track aren't great but it would do. If possible, see if you can get a good deal on a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and the '57. What country are you based in? As you've quoted Euros, thomann.de have lots of deals on stuff like this and ship fast and cheap.

I'm from the Netherlands and I can definetely consider ordering from Thomann. I will check Thomann right now.
At my girlfriend's place I found actually something from m-audio. It's a midi interface I believe. Only thing is it doesn't have any usb output. Only some vague outputs I don't understand. I will post pics here and I hope you guys could analyze what it exactly is and what the quality is actually.

@DisarmGoliath I have searched for it. And seeing the price of almost 100 euro more kind of hurts me. I mean, I'm upgrading from a phone camera mic to something worth 90 euro. I think it will be a pretty great step forward. I'm on a limited budget...
The MAudio will be fine, it's not the best, but it'll work and will be better than the phone camera.

Would normally recommend avoiding the Fasttrack stuff as it gets a bad rep, but if it's the only thing you can afford... well it's better than nothing.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Have you checked out the Blue Icicle? it's another little 1 channel XLR interface but is pretty damn good for the price. Also check out the GLS ES57 as an SM57 alternative, it's reputation is stellar. It probably wouldn't pass the helicopter and semi-trailer tests that Shure has done but at 1/3 the price I think it's worth not being able to throw it from a helicopter.
I also read that you need to crank your amp loud when recording. Is this true or false?

If yes, will my 22 Watt amp at 6 channel volume and 1 master do the trick? Or am I looking for something much louder? Or just a tiny bit louder?
Ideally, assuming it's a valve amp, you want to crank it, they just sound better that way. That's not always possible though and so you have to go with what is actually available and not let the "have nots" get in the way of making music.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Depends on the amp, the room, the mic placement… placement of the amp/cab in the room, microphone used…

If you own a valve amp, you will not be able to crank it in most typical home studios. If it's a good enough amp, it'll sound fine even at relatively low volumes, even if the 'sweetspot' for the master volume is higher. Ultimately though, if you can't get a good sound from your amp at home, you'll have to look into amp sims (like most people use here) or record your guitar tracks at a proper studio.

I never mic up my amp at home, but any commercial recording I do is not done at home I do mix everything at home, however.