I tend to sweat a lot on my hands, and my pick tends to slip away. Usually I manage to re position it in between riffs, but often when I really need to play fast for a longer period in a song it gets in a really uncomfortable position which makes me miss notes.

It wasn't that much of a problem after carving into my picks with a knife. But after about an hour of playing I need to swap picks because the grooves get dirt and sweat in them and the grip effect wears off.

I'm getting tired of having to make sure I have plenty of clean and carved picks before rehearsals/shows or just when I want to play for longer than 15 minutes on a hot day at home. I use Dunlop Tortex .88mm picks, the green ones, which I absolutely love, except for the lack of grip for my sweaty claws.

Any advice?
Bobby: Luckily I'd gone upstairs to listen to her piss so I heard her shout for me to help
Quote by flexiblemile
Talcum powder on your hands before you start playing?

Might be worth a shot

Might try it. Although I really am reluctant to get all that extra mess on my stuff, not to mention it will probably totally stuff up the cuts in the pick which provide most of the grip, it's worth a shot like you said.

Quote by Arby911

Can't order that, I'm in Belgium, don't have/want paypal, shipping costs,... Not to mention both the site and the product look like junk.

Thanks for the replies!
Bobby: Luckily I'd gone upstairs to listen to her piss so I heard her shout for me to help
Quote by Von II
Might try it. Although I really am reluctant to get all that extra mess on my stuff, not to mention it will probably totally stuff up the cuts in the pick which provide most of the grip, it's worth a shot like you said.

Can't order that, I'm in Belgium, don't have/want paypal, shipping costs,... Not to mention both the site and the product look like junk.

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, I suggested a junky product from a crappy site because that's just what I DO!

Except that I use them exclusively and have for several years.

Feel free to F*ck off now, you judgemental knob.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
They do look a bit shabby, but I'm sure they feel good. TS, you could try to find a pick that has holes straight through it instead of just grooves. That way, the sweat and dirt wouldn't pile up as much I think. Worth a shot since picks do not cost that much.
There are a million different picks with various types of grip on them. Sounds like you need to find a new type of pick. Seems like a pretty simple problem to solve.
I saw something in an ad a few days ago that may interest you. http://www.pykmax.com/
-Main Gear-
ESP Ltd V-401 + D Activator N&B
De Armond/Guild 2000 M72 Bluesbird w/ USA Toastertops
Peavey JSX & XXL
Mesa Boogie Rectifier Vertical 2x12
Airis Effects Savage Drive
^That's cheating :O

Seriously though, cool concept. I could try one someday, doubt that it would replace a real pick but it could be useful.
Quote by guitar/bass95
^That's cheating :O

Seriously though, cool concept. I could try one someday, doubt that it would replace a real pick but it could be useful.

Thats what i thought, ive been playing plenty long so i have no problems holding my pick (i drill holes in mine for grip like someone above mentioned, no problems) but that could be really useful for someone that struggles or is just starting to learn
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
I think if someone actually has problems with sweating or trembling that just cannot be helped that pick would be extremely useful. I'm happy with my regular picks :P
Quote by guitar/bass95
I think if someone actually has problems with sweating or trembling that just cannot be helped that pick would be extremely useful. I'm happy with my regular picks :P

Exactly, as for me i've tried many and none come close to my 2mm Gator Grips with 1/8" holes drilled in em

.........unless im playing acoustic, then i jump off the other deep end into .42-.6mm nylons
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
Last edited by TYSHADOWS at May 19, 2014,
Quote by Arby911
Yes, I suggested a junky product from a crappy site because that's just what I DO!

Except that I use them exclusively and have for several years.

Feel free to F*ck off now, you judgemental knob.

Well, if you said in your first post that you have been using them for several years I might have had another opinion. But I just made my opinion from the link you provided, sorry.

Quote by guitar/bass95
They do look a bit shabby, but I'm sure they feel good. TS, you could try to find a pick that has holes straight through it instead of just grooves. That way, the sweat and dirt wouldn't pile up as much I think. Worth a shot since picks do not cost that much.

Thanks, might try to get them then if I manage to pay and ship them to Belgium.

Mh, holes might work indeed. I have quite a few bags of these picks laying around, so drillling some holes in one or two wouldn't be a problem.

Quote by J_W
There are a million different picks with various types of grip on them. Sounds like you need to find a new type of pick. Seems like a pretty simple problem to solve.

Indeed, but which one? :/

Quote by TYSHADOWS
I saw something in an ad a few days ago that may interest you. http://www.pykmax.com/

Heh. Might solve my problem, but I'm going to put this off for know, on the basis of looking even more stupid than I already look.

I do this to my my Tortex picks. Helps quite a bit.

Get a sharp tool and etch lines into both sides in a grid pattern. Doesn't have to be perfect or fancy.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by Von II

Thanks, might try to get them then if I manage to pay and ship them to Belgium.

Pm me an address, I'll send you a few. You pissed me off but you still sound like you need a hand and well...what the hell.

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by lemurflames

I do this to my my Tortex picks. Helps quite a bit.

Get a sharp tool and etch lines into both sides in a grid pattern. Doesn't have to be perfect or fancy.

I'm already doing this like I said in my first post. (The knife thing).

Thanks for the suggestion though!
Quote by Arby911
Pm me an address, I'll send you a few. You pissed me off but you still sound like you need a hand and well...what the hell.

Haha, this is great. I get called a judgemental knob and offered a few picks by the same person in the time span of an hour.

Nonetheless, thanks a lot, I'll PM you.
Quote by Von II
I'm already doing this like I said in my first post. (The knife thing).

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Oh derp.

Sorry.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by Von II

Heh. Might solve my problem, but I'm going to put this off for know, on the basis of looking even more stupid than I already look.

As long as you can melt faces it doesnt matter how you look
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
Have a quick google for Poundcake picks by Eddie Van Halen. They have a great grip.
Quote by TYSHADOWS
As long as you can melt faces it doesnt matter how you look

Looking like a thrash/doom/crust guy with an Electric Wizard shirt and a white Jackson, playing doom/death/experimental/entombedcoreifthatevenisa****inggenre I'm only lucky to have an audience at all.

Quote by deano_l
Have a quick google for Poundcake picks by Eddie Van Halen. They have a great grip.

My quick google didn't turn up anything?

Quote by deadsmileyface
get some dunlop maxgrips yo, thats all I use

I have one that a friend gave me. It has less grip than my tortex picks with the cuts and it seems like they wear a lot faster too (since they're nylon or something?).
Quote by Von II
Looking like a thrash/doom/crust guy with an Electric Wizard shirt and a white Jackson, playing doom/death/experimental/entombedcoreifthatevenisa****inggenre I'm only lucky to have an audience at all.

I'd watch that, sounds pretty legit But in all seriousness if it works use it no matter how stupid you feel it looks, all people will remember is your stage show/sound (if its good enough). If theres a drummer wearing flipflops that kills it, people will remember that he was a kick ass drummer......well maybe that he was a kickass drummer in flipflops but you get my point. Dont write something off due to style for something like a pick or pedal or pickup or amp etc etc etc. those are all about performance and sound. If it works for you and sounds good use it. If its your axe though thats different. Style points all the way
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
Quote by TYSHADOWS
I'd watch that, sounds pretty legit But in all seriousness if it works use it no matter how stupid you feel it looks, all people will remember is your stage show/sound (if its good enough). If theres a drummer wearing flipflops that kills it, people will remember that he was a kick ass drummer......well maybe that he was a kickass drummer in flipflops but you get my point. Dont write something off due to style for something like a pick or pedal or pickup or amp etc etc etc. those are all about performance and sound. If it works for you and sounds good use it. If its your axe though thats different

Hehe, thanks. I know, that's why we only do some pretty small local try out shows under a fake name or without being on the bill, which mostly consist of friends and whoever came to see the other bands. We're only "going public" when we nail our songs and get our tape done. I've seen too many bands going on facebook after four rehearsals and doing a crappy show or two they got as a favor who all end up splitting or getting no audience because they totally ruined their first impression. I refuse to go down that road.

But in the meantime, I need to find a way not to lose my pick when we're doing a more old school death metal bit during a song.

Also, I wouldn't be the least surprised if our drummer showed up on flipflops.
Quote by Von II

But in the meantime, I need to find a way not to lose my pick when we're doing a more old school death metal bit during a song.

Just try out everything you can, try drilling holes, they work for me, try different picks, even the pykmax. Honestly if youve tried the rest, after holes that may be your best bet. Its designed to hold like a pistol grip so cant see you dropping that and if looks are your concern take heart cuz i hardly notice it in the close up videos, on stage i doubt many would if any. And it may be like the first time i saw slide guitar. This guy was doing a guitar solo with one (electric) and i though it looked messed up, but it sounded badass so i figured hey, sets him apart and he's making it work. Props to him
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
Rick Parfitt of Status Quo drills a few (3 I think) holes in his picks for this very reason. Give it a try. Actually his guitar tech does it and he just uses a punch and a hammer, not a drill. A punch would work fine for nylon but if you prefer tortex/ultex, etc, Id use a drill or a hot wire.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
My Ice Pix have 3 slats cut in them stock. Helps a lot.

Chris Broderick of Megadeth also sells this, the Pick Clip: http://chrisbroderick.com/blog/store/

In Belgium is would cost you about 25 euros to get one though....
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I've seen ppl use resin (the ones they use on violin bows...??) put some on their fingers...Apparently the more you sweat, the tighter the grip will become....
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"
I'll try holes when I get my hands on a drill, none to be found in my apartment.

I know the song, just not what you mean with the pick. Don't have the time to watch the video right now, if it's a reference to the video.
Oh **** me!

He uses a cordless drill to play his strings. It's got a big handle. It doesn't slip.

Are they all like you where you come from?
Quote by Von II
I'll try holes when I get my hands on a drill, none to be found in my apartment.

Try a hot wire, just heat it up on your stove and use a pair of pliers to hold it. It may work even better than a drill because you'll get a little ridge around the hole.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Check out some of the options at Gravity Picks. There are some great grip options (though these things don't slide around on me (including the gloss versions).

One option is to simply drill a hole (or several) through the fat side of the pick.
Personally, what I do is have a heap of picks in easy to get to places. When I drop one (which isn't often), I just grab another. It's really not a big deal if you are prepared.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification