Hi folks,

I'm guess that this boils down to "whatever sounds good to you" but I was wondering about some good rules of thumb for trying to pair speakers with amps, especially for metal.

Specifically: Do you want to choose speakers that emphasize the unique frequencies that an amp is pushing out, or do you want to try and pick speakers that emphasize different frequencies, to try and smooth things out overall?
Quote by kerryhall
Hi folks,

I'm guess that this boils down to "whatever sounds good to you" but I was wondering about some good rules of thumb for trying to pair speakers with amps, especially for metal.

Specifically: Do you want to choose speakers that emphasize the unique frequencies that an amp is pushing out, or do you want to try and pick speakers that emphasize different frequencies, to try and smooth things out overall?

if you are concerned, i have seen people bring thier head to GC or something and try it with different cabs.

for modern metal, the top three (in my preference in general) are celestion K100's, V30's, and T75's.

i have three cabs with two V30's and two K100's in an X position. i have a cab that has T75's, i have two with V30's. i know you want a little more theory, but maybe my list gave you some ideas. good luck

if you are looking for a T75 cab look into a marshall 1960, K100's look into the Marshall Mode four cab also K100's (not a ton around) or one orange cab for the Thunderverb, mesa and orange primarily use V30's.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by kerryhall
Hi folks,

for the technical stuff, you will need to choose speakers that can be wired for the correct impedance your amp requires and can handle the power output of your amp.

so if you have a mesa boogie and the output of the amp is 8 ohms then you will need a cabinet wired for 8 ohms. if the mesa boogie has 100 watt output, then you will need an cabinet that can handle 100 watts.

after that, i recommend trying as many speaker cabinets and speakers as possible. i don't really like V30's personally, but i don't think you can really go wrong with using them as your first set of speakers. they are very versatile and they are an industry standard for a reason.

i tend to like to mix and match my speakers, i like to pick speakers that compliment each other. like the V30 and K-100 combo mentioned above is a very solid metal speaker setup.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
it depends on the tone(s) you're after and also has to handle the wattage (since a lot of high gain heads are high wattage).

depends on if you want tightness or chunk, etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I currently have one cab with V30s and one cab with G12K100s. I love the sound of both.

I'm more interested though in the general case: how do I determine what speakers sound good with what head?

For example, say an amp has a boost around 500 Hz, do I want to pick a speaker that also has a boost around 500 Hz to emphasize that amp's natural tone? Or do I want to pick a speaker that has a slight cut around 500 Hz to round things out?

Does that make sense? Thanks!
Don't overthink it. Try them out and trust your ears. Vintage 30 and EVM12L would be on my short list for your music. The Celestions will color the tone in a very familiar way and the EVMs will let the pure tone of the amp shine through. Choose the ones you like.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at May 19, 2014,
Quote by kerryhall
I currently have one cab with V30s and one cab with G12K100s. I love the sound of both.

I'm more interested though in the general case: how do I determine what speakers sound good with what head?

For example, say an amp has a boost around 500 Hz, do I want to pick a speaker that also has a boost around 500 Hz to emphasize that amp's natural tone? Or do I want to pick a speaker that has a slight cut around 500 Hz to round things out?

Does that make sense? Thanks!

We really couldn't say. It depends entirely on your preference, and occasionally things that look good or bad on paper are the opposite in practice.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Agreed (both of you). If it sounds good, it is good (as long as you're not doing something dangerous).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Cajundaddy
Don't overthink it. Try them out and trust your ears. Vintage 30 and EVM12L would be on my short list for your music. The Celestions will color the tone in a very familiar way and the EVMs will let the pure tone of the amp shine through. Choose the ones you like.

I think I'm overthinking it. I do like the sound of the V30s, but the EVM12Ls look good too, maybe I'll give those a try.

Thanks!