Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone knew the names of these power chord shapes.

This:

G--------
D--7----
A--5----
D--5----

And this:

G--7-----
D--7----
A--5----
E--5----

I really like the sound of these chords along with a standard root note PC (The latter also working in drop tunings as a sort of double octave PC)
The first one is drop D and not a typo? If so it's a sus2, not a power chord.

The second one is just an inverted power chord with the 5th in the bass. As opposed to normally where the root is in the bass.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah it's in how you remind me. yeah sus2, far as i'm aware. I like old nickelback not so keen on the newer stuff.

listen to the other theory guys before you listen to me, though. I could be wrong (have been before ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The first one is a GSus2. The second one, in standard tuning is just an inverted powerchord (in this case D5). Look at it by starting with the x577xx shape, a typical D5 chord, and then realizing that the 5th fret you add at the bottom is an octave below the 7th fret of the D string. If you play the second chord in a drop tuning then it also a GSus2, like the first chord, just with another octave of what was the middle note.
Quote by P_Trik
In Drop D, Gadd9 is more the intent but Gsus2 is correct. The second is D5/A

An add chord has a third, while a sus chord omits it. Unless another instrument happens to adds the third, this is a GSus2, rather than Gadd9.
^ yeah
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

The second one is just an inverted power chord with the 5th in the bass. As opposed to normally where the root is in the bass.

Definitely correct, just wanted to add that those are some beastly chords that you hear all the time in rock and metal, and it's probably better just to get the mental memory of the sound of it down, how it sounds different from the typical power chord, and how easy it is to add it to the typical power chord whenever you please
Quote by Dave_Mc

Omg it's Dave_Mc

I'm a big fan ^_^
^ I'm not, he's a bit of a tool

Seriously, though,

Quote by Buttcheex8
Definitely correct, just wanted to add that those are some beastly chords that you hear all the time in rock and metal, and it's probably better just to get the mental memory of the sound of it down, how it sounds different from the typical power chord, and how easy it is to add it to the typical power chord whenever you please

yeah
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?