There is a marshall MG100DFX for sale on craigslist for 150$ good condition except for some minor cosmetic stuff. sounds good apparently. Is this amp pretty good? I've seen pretty good reviews on it. Good deal for 150$? He said hes firm at 150$.

need quick responses.
thanks

http://madison.craigslist.org/msg/4424376729.html

This guy also said he'd take 200$ for this amp... didn't seem to get very good reviews thoughhttp://madison.craigslist.org/msg/4428964444.html
It would only be a good deal if he was paying you the $150 to take it away.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It would only be a good deal if he was paying you the $150 to take it away.

It's not a good amp? Its gotten plenty of good reviews
It's shite.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Thundershock47
anyone else have opinions? its gotten 8/10 from many people on this site

Those sorts of people just came off a solid state Line 6 Spider combo and think Marshall amp=greatest tone ever. Probably never even heard of tubes.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Last edited by TheStig1214 at May 19, 2014,
I've found that most favourable ratings/comments come from kids who have owned it for two minutes. No experienced guitarist will tell you it's good. One could justify the little ones as cheap practice amps but that's all the 100W'ers are too - an oversized practice amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Thundershock47
should I save for a tube?

Yeah a tube amp will give you the sounds you're looking for.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Yes - and don't be fooled into thinking that a Valvestate is a tube amp - it isn't.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Any good specific tube amps I can get for less than 300$ used? I like marshalls alot but doesnt have to be a marshall
You'll probably have to go used to get anything decent. Jet Cities have a Marshally sound and are quite cheap (basically, a Chinese Soldano)
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Thundershock47
Any good specific tube amps I can get for less than 300$ used? I like marshalls alot but doesnt have to be a marshall

Cathbard will probably want to hit me through the internet for suggesting this but I love my Line 6 Spider Valve. I really wish this thing didn't have the Spider name stigma attached to it. It's really is a rugged and great sounding amp.

Common suggestion too is the Peavey Vypyr but you could probably do better than that for $300.

Honestly, just see whats kicking around your local gear exchange/craigslist as a starting point.

EDIT: I also second the Jet City idea.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
If you buy it you deserve to get ripped off and kicked in the genitals.

What is your location? Willing to go used? Genres?

Edit:
Third for the jet city.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at May 19, 2014,
I've only heard Spider Valves with stock patches. I didn't care for them at all. However, I have been told by people that I trust that if you spend a few months (or years) working on your own patches they can be quite good. So I usually abstain from commenting on them really.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I've only heard Spider Valves with stock patches. I didn't care for them at all. However, I have been told by people that I trust that if you spend a few months (or years) working on your own patches they can be quite good. So I usually abstain from commenting on them really.

Yep, it took me about a year to get good patches. I also installed the Strymon SVpre in mine which really made a huge difference.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Cathbard

I run mine with my POD via 4 cable method, so a kajority of my tone is coming from my board. However I do get some nice tones out of the amp itself. Especially cleans. I love it's cleans.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
I run mine with my POD via 4 cable method, so a kajority of my tone is coming from my board. However I do get some nice tones out of the amp itself. Especially cleans. I love it's cleans.
What you need is a Randall RM100.
I'll pit my Randall on the Tweed module against your SV for cleans any day. Big jump in price I suppose but you get what you pay for.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
What you need is a Randall RM100.
I'll pit my Randall on the Tweed module against your SV for cleans any day. Big jump in price I suppose but you get what you pay for.

Probably an even bigger jump in price considering I bought the thing for $150, just retubed and castors included

What I really need, though, is a Laney VH100L. That's going to be my next big purchase. Unless some other cheap POS that I want to make sound good comes along.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
My RM100 cost me over $3k with the modules - and I got the amp itself really cheap. Was worth it though. So yeah, bit of a price jump.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I also feel inclined to tell you that the Marshall MG and the Valvestate are horrible pieces of shite. Not that I have anything better in mind to suggest; I'm sure the good people here can put you onto something decent.
Quote by John Petrucci
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day
I just had a quick look through your local craigslist:
https://madison.craigslist.org/msg/4470097239.html nice amp, may have not enough gain, depending on what you want to play
https://madison.craigslist.org/msg/4477918211.html will have more gain, but you need a cab for it. There also a whole Thread on it here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1534810&

But in order to help you better, we need more information on what you want to play (genre/bands)!
As has already been mentioned, the smaller ones are alright cos theyre cheap, small and light. Make for a decent practice amp for the money. I had the MG15 for a while and served my needs back when all i had gear wise was that and a Boss DS1.

Id avoid the bigger ones though, theyre just practice amps without the usual benefits, i.e theyre overly loud, theyre heavy etc. If you buy this amp you'll be looking for a new one in 6 months and you will have effectively wasted your money.

Do you need an amp right away? Could you just make do for the time being while you save up your money? Your amp will arguably have the biggest effect on your tone so its worth getting it right, first time if poss.

TL;dr - Buy nice or buy twice
I disagree that an MG 100HDFX is an oversized practice amp. It's not even good enough for practice...

Here's my thinking on that -- for practice to have any meaning/productivity, you have to be inspired. MGs are about as inspiring as listening to somebody vomit. I'm not exaggerating; I was duped into buying one years ago before I knew any better.

To answer TS's question, I'll pose another question: Would it be a good deal to pay $150 to get kicked in the 'nads? It's the same question, really.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood