*Have searched this topic but could not confirm if the information applies to current models.

I'm Apple-illiterate and would like to know if I can add more RAM to the current MacBook Pro (15-inch-Retina). It currently has 8GB but is configurable to 16GB. I understand this means it can purchased new "customised" with 16GB RAM but would it be possible to add RAM to 16GB (or more??) myself?

Please no Apple hate comments; keep your opinions to yourself as I'm just after facts.
Quote by metal4eva_22
Why would you want that much RAM anyways?

Future-proofing. I realize there is virtually no software I currently use that demands 16GB but with the increasing advancement of programs I can almost guarantee that I will need it within the next 2-3 years.
Seeing as how you got a prebuilt computer I highly doubt you will ever need more than 8 for whatever it is you do.

/edit, future proofing a laptop, and a mac at that? You don't future proof a laptop, specially a mac.
Last edited by Wormholes at May 19, 2014,
Quote by HeadlessCross
Future-proofing. I realize there is virtually no software I currently use that demands 16GB but with the increasing advancement of programs I can almost guarantee that I will need it within the next 2-3 years.

You will need a new laptop before the one you have needs more than 8 gigs of RAM.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
You're probably better off not bothering. Even in 2-3 years, there won't be programs that use more than 8GB of RAM. Hell, the only thing I can think of that would even go over 8GB of RAM is running 40+ tracks on a DAW (read: recording program).
Quote by doomded
You will need a new laptop before the one you have needs more than 8 gigs of RAM.

Ok point taken
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
You're probably better off not bothering. Even in 2-3 years, there won't be programs that use more than 8GB of RAM. Hell, the only thing I can think of that would even go over 8GB of RAM is running 40+ tracks on a DAW (read: recording program).

Which is where quad core would be a big advantage here?
Quote by HeadlessCross
Which is where quad core would be a big advantage here?

Nah. I mean, a better CPU would help with that. But you'd max out the RAM in that scenario first.

Of course, I wouldn't record that kind of complex arrangement on a laptop anway, Mac or not. A desktop is going to be much more powerful for that kind of thing.

Anyway...my point is, you don't need more than 8GB on a Macbook. A Windows gaming laptop, I could see that. (Even then, it's probably overkill.) But a Macbook? No. Never. Save your money, man.

inb4 Xixi chimes about how Mac are always better
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 19, 2014,
Macs don't run on ram... they run on the undying love and devotion of their fans. So just put the laptop under your pillow and dream of steve jobs, it will run super fast in the morning.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by metal4eva_22
Why would you want that much RAM anyways?

I had a tech ask me exactly that once when I ordered 8 meg. They thought that was overkill, eight 1 megs filling all 8 slots, paid around $700 for just the RAM too. It had a killer 225 meg HD.
Last edited by Tempoe at May 19, 2014,
Quote by HeadlessCross
Thanks for the link. I see the latest date listed is mid-2012. Would this mean the current models (late-2013) have non-removable memory?

current models still allow you to add your own ram. check your manual they do talk about it and have pictures showing you how iirc
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Why would you pay for RAM when you can download it for free?? http://www.downloadmoreram.com now my computer is way faster.
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Quote by Wormholes
Seeing as how you got a prebuilt computer I highly doubt you will ever need more than 8 for whatever it is you do.

/edit, future proofing a laptop, and a mac at that? You don't future proof a laptop, specially a mac.

dis niga
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Yeah, about that...you're now attached to a botnet. Enjoy!

lolk

nobody tell him
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Credentials: I work at a major electronic corporate... establishment.

Advice: RAM is just the amount of room you have for random information to be processed.

For example: Opening up the internet accesses RAM, keeping the operating system running accesses a certain amount of RAM and whatnot, hence Random Access Memory. It's like having table space for dinner, sure to have a lot is cool but you probably won't use it. You can upgrade if you want but you're probably wasting your money.

The processor is the brain of the machine, it processes information and it's what determines the speed of the computer. That's what makes your computer future proof or not. A MacBook Retina will last for a LONG time in terms of how fast technology becomes obsolete.

If anything I find technology has gotten stagnant in the sense of improvement and innovation. Haven't you noticed? Each new year brings the computers a little bit faster with a better display but nothing mind blowing. You have nothing to worry about. Promise <3
Last edited by Z0S07657 at May 20, 2014,
Your computer will cark it in 2 years time. Then you will buy a new one. Problem solved. My gf and her sister both have Macbooks and they're both having various problems with it. Spend half the money on a similar spec Windows laptop and you'll have saved yourself a **** load of money for basically the same thing.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by macaroni
Your computer will cark it in 2 years time. Then you will buy a new one. Problem solved. My gf and her sister both have Macbooks and they're both having various problems with it. Spend half the money on a similar spec Windows laptop and you'll have saved yourself a **** load of money for basically the same thing.

lol, I don't use it anymore but I still have a first run Macbook Pro from like 2006 or 2007 with a broken fan that constantly runs at like 80-90 celcius (which is awful for the computer) and it still works. It sounds like your gf and her sister somehow messed up a computer that's pretty much stupid people proof.
Both keyboards malfunctioned and computer randomly shuts off, took it to get fixed and problem still exists. Apple's quality used to be very good. My mum has an iMac from 2003 that still works. Nowadays I think their QC has died in the arse.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by captainsnazz
I don't know what planet you guys who think using 16GB of ram is impossible are from.
I've only got 8GB in my mbp but honestly I could really use 16.

Dude, 16GB of RAM isn't the issue. The issue is, TS stated that he wanted to add more RAM to his Macbook to "future proof" it. Adding more RAM to a laptop isn't future proofing though; it's a waste of cash. That laptop will be obsolete in a few years, regardless of the amount of RAM.

You should future proof desktops, not laptops.
Quote by captainsnazz
I don't know what planet you guys who think using 16GB of ram is impossible are from.
I've only got 8GB in my mbp but honestly I could really use 16.

I have to ask, what programs do you use that use up those 8 GB of RAM? I have 8 in my desktop and the only time I get close to maxing that out is when I'm running a bunch of VMs.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by muffinduck01
I have to ask, what programs do you use that use up those 8 GB of RAM? I have 8 in my desktop and the only time I get close to maxing that out is when I'm running a bunch of VMs.

To be fair, it's mostly cos my research involves analysis and synthesis of massive amounts of audio.
And regarding regular programs for non research applications, I run Logic in 32 bit mode at home cos I have too many plugins that don't support 64 bit and it's really hassle, but when I'm in the studio assembling stuff (without my plugins) I hit 16GB+ easily.
Also Audiosculpt leaks memory like fuck and I run out of ram super quick and would even if it didn't.

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Dude, 16GB of RAM isn't the issue. The issue is, TS stated that he wanted to add more RAM to his Macbook to "future proof" it. Adding more RAM to a laptop isn't future proofing though; it's a waste of cash. That laptop will be obsolete in a few years, regardless of the amount of RAM.

You should future proof desktops, not laptops.

lol seriously who uses desktops in 2014
And I have an old macbook that I got 6 years ago that still runs fine (minus touchpad) but the main issue is lack of ram with that. Processor's a bit slow but it's nothing I can't deal with if I need to use it.
Last edited by captainsnazz at May 20, 2014,
Quote by captainsnazz

PC gamers, programmers, businesses, computer gear heads, etc.

Also, many home recording people prefer desktops over laptops. Not all of us do wubs (or research on audio & such). Offhand, I think DG and Matrix (both recording forum mods) use desktops with Hackintosh OS's; several other recording forum regs use desktops too.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 20, 2014,
Quote by captainsnazz
To be fair, it's mostly cos my research involves analysis and synthesis of massive amounts of audio.
And regarding regular programs for non research applications, I run Logic in 32 bit mode at home cos I have too many plugins that don't support 64 bit and it's really hassle, but when I'm in the studio assembling stuff (without my plugins) I hit 16GB+ easily.
Also Audiosculpt leaks memory like fuck and I run out of ram super quick and would even if it didn't.

Ah, fair play to you sir. I just spend a lot of time on computer forums and I constantly see people putting crazy amounts of RAM into machines that basically amount to glorified web browsers or are used exclusively for gaming.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by muffinduck01
I constantly see people putting crazy amounts of RAM into machines that are used exclusively for gaming.

Nothing wrong with that, gotta get dem frames per second
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by captainsnazz

Like pretty much every professional recording studio on the planet.