So I have been kicking around the idea of selling my ampeg v50h because its too loud for apartment living and its more then likely I won't join another band (nothing but hardcore bands and geezer rock cover bands here). I still love the amp but I never get to use it so here are my ideas to be a little happier.... An atunator, an ISO cab, an assload of plexiglass for sound dampening, or an ISO cab. So are any of these viable options or should I look into modelers?
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
POD HD (insert number here) are good sounding MFX pedals, you can use them with headphones or studio monitor and enjoy it.

if you want more power out of it buy a powered wedge (pa speaker) and plug in and your good to go. could go straight to the board if you did want to gig.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
How bout turning the volume down?

There are two reasons why people want tube amps to be at loud volumes.
1. distortion
2. fullness

The first is achievable with a very small amp at low volumes, say 1w to 1/4w, and an amp that small won't give you the body you'd get turning up a bigger amp.
The second is achievable turning up the volume of every amp, so you make your speakers move more air and that results in a bigger and bassier sound.

So if you want a fuller sound, a smaller amp won't help.
Plus the ampeg v50h is a nice amp if you ask me, I don't think you'll really get something that will sound considerably better at low volumes, unless you wanna buy an overpriced 5w amp like the suhr corso or the bogner atma.

Or yeah, you could get a pod HDwhatever if you like the idea, and it may sound fuller and bigger if you use headphones, but you'd have to get a pair of decent speakers + an amp (or active speakers) to hear the thing without headphones, and it still isn't likely to sound full and stuff if you don't turn up the volume.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
great amp and good luck with the decision.

i'd say keep the amp and just grab a used pod2.0 for $50 to practice.
Quote by gregs1020
i'd say keep the amp and just grab a used pod2.0 for $50 to practice.

I second this advice.

The V-50H are great amps, I wouldn't get rid of it.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at May 20, 2014,
If you want power tube distortion then the only real answer is to sell it and buy a smaller amp. Otherwise look at pedal and FX. As long as you can turn it up so 2 or 3 then you will be able to get good tone from your amp. I have a Mesa DC 50 that says in the instruction manual that you shouldn't turn the master volume up louder than 5 (it goes to 10) so that should demonstrate that an amp doesn't need to be cranked to perform.
Not taking any online orders.
I'm not that big a fan of amp modelers they sound like its pre recorded at least the lower end ones, which is awesome for home recording but if you just want to play its not so great. It it would feel like a lateral move at best from my current no name solid state practice amp (i get an ok tone with it and my collection of pedals its no where near the glory of the ampeg when the tubes actually start doing something). The other problem with simply grabbing a pod is it doesn't address my problem of having an amp I would almost never get to use, I want to use my amp again at home not just keep it as a decoration. I got to use it 5 times in the last year so it mainly just sits there which is just depressing. The ampeg gets loud at arround 1.8 (like heard a half mile away loud) if you throw an od or dirt infront of it and at 3-3.5 its burying fully cranked triple recs. So I'm thinking an attenuator or a buttload of sound proofing materials.

Edit, the whole turning it down thing isn't exactly practical because 1, no master volume and two if its under a certain volume. (surprise its 1.8 it sounds very weak and frail), the final issue is power for some reason if I am getting more current the amp doesnt have a zero. Meaning that it can still be ungodly loud at its lowest possible setting.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at May 20, 2014,
A small modeling setup or Micro Cube are probably the best choices for apt use. No decent tube amp sounds great at whisper volumes. I have tried the power soak attenuators and they will effectively bring it down 5-8db. More than that and the tone disappears. I would keep the gig amp and get something really designed for apt use.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Perhaps a Yamaha THR would be a nice option in this case...

Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I could disengage the boost by plugging in the footswitch then hit the attunator effectively for an additional db cut. Half the fun of the amp is when you throw a muff or a turbo rat is it sounds like your committing a war crime. I could run it nice and clean but where is the fun in that. I know one other person has my amp I wonder if disengaging the boost will make that much of a difference. Like if I can cut a combined 15 db it would be almost usable in an appartment, I could throw a few cheap rugs in front of it to polish of the extra db.
Quote by joshua garcia

Quote by guitar0player
Quote by Cajundaddy
No decent tube amp sounds great at whisper volumes.

yeah fine but it's not just tube amps, nothing sounds "great" at whisper volumes.

come at me ax guys. no volume means no bass /thread.
Quote by gregs1020
nothing sounds "great" at whisper volumes.

come at me ax guys. no volume means no bass /thread.

^ /thread.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.