Page 1 of 2
Hi guys. I was looking into getting an amp head and cab for a half stack but I'm terribly indecisive.

At first I was looking at getting the "Blackstar Series 1 - 1046L6 Head + 412A Cab Stack" The speaker in the cab are Celestion vintage 30 12" speakers. (This is $3,299 for the combo.)

After reading into what other people had said here over time, a lot of people suggested the Peavey 6505 amp head with a bunch of cab combinations, one cab that I thought looked and sounded pretty good with the 6505 was the Marshall 1960B cab. (Peavey 6505 is $1,999 here in store, or about $1,050 eBay. The 6505+ is $1,499 in store, or about $999 on eBay. Marshall 1960B is hard to find in stores here, but I did find one that sells for $1,050 on eBay, the 1960A is $948 in store.)

Other people I've seen suggest a Laney ironheart amp head. (which is about $1,000)

I'm open to more suggestions too. I just want the best for the money I'm going to pay.

I'm from Australia so things are a little more expensive here and the excuse I've heard places give is the fact they have to pay a lot of imports so the price jumps.

I'm willing to pay, but not pay as much as for something like a meas/boogie just yet as it's about $4000 here roughly for just a head or just a cab.

I play metal/hardcore, enjoy bands such as Parkway drive, Remembering never, I Killed The Prom Queen, Converge. For a few examples.

TL;DR: What amp head/cab combo is best for metal/hardcore?
5150/6505 or 5150 II/6505+ with any decent cab made out of proper wood with Vintage 30 speakers.

5150 III 50 watt will do it, too.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
6505/5150 is pretty much the go to answer. I would suggest looking at Mesa Rectos, pretty much anything by Engl, and JSX too. They'll all be great, so you should see if one sticks out to you.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
get a used 6505+ and a 1960BV or and Orange PPC412 (I'd go with the Orange personally)

If you can get a Mesa Recto 412 that would be awesome
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ironhearts are good, man.
Dunno about the cabs. Laney cabs are notoriously shite but I have only heard an Ironheart through greenbacks. They say "Custom designed HH drivers" and that scares me. "Custom designed" is usually code for, "made cheap and nasty just for us". I'd want to hear them against say a 1960, a PPC412 etc. Laney are strange, they make good heads and shit cabs (well, cabs loaded with shit speakers anyway) and they always have. I'd be wary

But the heads are good for tight brutal metal. It would be a fine choice.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Robbgnarly
get a used 6505+ and a 1960BV or and Orange PPC412 (I'd go with the Orange personally)

yeah that's it.
Wait, that plus a tube screamer type pedal.
Yeah that's it now.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by lemurflames
5150/6505 or 5150 II/6505+ with any decent cab made out of proper wood with Vintage 30 speakers.

5150 III 50 watt will do it, too.

Any suggestions to cabs specifically then?

Quote by Robbgnarly

Whats the difference between a 1960B and a 1960BV?

Quote by Cathbard
Ironhearts are good, man.
Dunno about the cabs. Laney cabs are notoriously shite but I have only heard an Ironheart through greenbacks. They say "Custom designed HH drivers" and that scares me. "Custom designed" is usually code for, "made cheap and nasty just for us". I'd want to hear them against say a 1960, a PPC412 etc. Laney are strange, they make good heads and shit cabs (well, cabs loaded with shit speakers anyway) and they always have. I'd be wary

But the heads are good for tight brutal metal. It would be a fine choice.

Yeah I've heard the laney cabs aren't that great quality, part of the reason I found it odd when reading people would suggest them for amp heads.

Do you guys think a mesa boogie 4x12 slanted rectifier cab with a 6505 would be decent? I just read the paper and saw it advertised because the guy is moving away apparently. Selling for $1,500 which feels very cheap to me.
Last edited by Weaksaux at May 20, 2014,
Quote by Weaksaux

Do you guys think a mesa boogie 4x12 slanted rectifier cab with a 6505 would be decent? I just read the paper and saw it advertised because the guy is moving away apparently. Selling for $1,500 which feels very cheap to me.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mesa-Boogie-Used--Mesa-Boogie--Rectifier-4X12-280W-Slant--Black-Guitar-Cabinet-110122621-i3759907.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-PEAVEY-6505--120W-AMP-HEAD-W-FS-110096793-i3735884.gc

Doesn't seem that cheap...
Quote by tas38

"We're sorry, but the product that you are searching for is sold out at this time, or is no longer available. For more information please contact customer service."

What price did it say?

Are you from Australia, or?

Because things are a lot more expensive here whenever I go looking. I looked on eBay and the exact same mesa boogie cab with no amp head was selling for $900 on eBay second hand. The 6505 sells for about $1050 on eBay and $1500 in store.

The thing that put me kind of off too, is the fact it's slanted.

I also have thought about buying this, selling the cab to buy a cab I want. But I'm not sure.
Yes, a mesa boogie 4x12 slanted rectifier cab with a 6505 would be more than decent.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Sorry, my mistake. I forgot about you being from Australia. Anyway, it was $400 for the cab and $700 for the head.
Quote by Cathbard
Yes, a mesa boogie 4x12 slanted rectifier cab with a 6505 would be more than decent.

It would be a little less on the low ends, and a little more highs though wouldn't it? Or do I have this wrong?
Quote by tas38
Sorry, my mistake. I forgot about you being from Australia. Anyway, it was $400 for the cab and $700 for the head.

It's all good. It's actually a shame how often I see gear so cheap in the US, and it's more than double here for some reason.
Quote by Weaksaux
I'd get the cab and find myself a 6505+.
If you don't mind the shared EQ and the two inputs, get both.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at May 20, 2014,
Quote by Weaksaux
It would be a little less on the low ends, and a little more highs though wouldn't it? Or do I have this wrong?
Nothing in it, tonewise. The slant cab makes up for any imagined deficiencies by being easier to hear yourself. I hate straight cabs, you don't have ears in your knees. Straight cabs are to sit other cabs on. With only one cab, slants rule.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Nothing in it, tonewise. The slant cab makes up for any imagined deficiencies by being easier to hear yourself. I hate straight cabs, you don't have ears in your knees. Straight cabs are to sit other cabs on. With only one cab, slants rule.

It just feels like every time I've listened to a straight cab whether it be on YouTube or in real life they always sound punchy, and when I hear a slanted cab its always sounded more airy, or brighter. Even when using the same amp head with the same settings... Why is this?

Also I've noticed that every time Parkway Drive have played live at a medium sized venue they only use straight half stack cabs. It was that way when I first saw them after the first album release back in 2006, and it's at medium sized events they still seem to do this when I saw them a year ago. Hm. Any reason to this you think?

Although at huge venues and events they use a full stack with straight and slanted, usually.
They only mike up one speaker, man. You aren't hearing what's coming off the cab, you're hearing one speaker miked up into the PA. You don't know how he's monitoring it either. Only one cab is probably connected and there may be a shitload of guitar in his foldback monitor. There's no way to tell what is actually going on unless you are up on the stage at the time.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
They only mike up one speaker, man. You aren't hearing what's coming off the cab, you're hearing one speaker miked up into the PA. You don't know how he's monitoring it either. Only one cab is probably connected and there may be a shitload of guitar in his foldback monitor. There's no way to tell what is actually going on unless you are up on the stage at the time.

Back in 2006 though I even attended a backyard show with them and they had no PA, it was just a simple set up.

But I do get what you mean. I used to be sound/light crew for a couple of events when it comes to PA/EQ (music/speeches/theatre).
It's a 6505, it's going to be punchy whether it's a straight or a slant - but a slant means less need for guitar in your wedge. That's gotta be a good thing, no?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 20, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
It's a 6505, it's going to be punchy whether it's a straight or a slant - but a slant means less need for guitar in your wedge. That's gotta be a good thing, no?

I guess, yeah.

I was thinking; seeing as you are from Australia too, where do you normally look for equipment or where would you recommend someone to look when it comes to amps/cabs/guitars and everything relevant. Because as I said to another guy in the thread, everything that is sold here is usually more than half that price in the US and I'm not sure if there is somewhere better I should be looking. I usually look at eBay, Musos, or GumTree. Any tips?
I have been using a straight cab regularly (a house cab) after years of using a slant and I ****ing hate it. The only time I can hear it properly is if I'm on my knees. I end up needing some guitar put through my wedge - and I play loud. The sound guy rarely needs to put me through FoH but I need it in my wedge. It's preposterous. The crowd can hear it better than me and I'm standing right in front of it.
Like I said, you don't have ears in your knees.

Ebay and gumtree are pretty good places to start. I bought my RM100 new through a shop for a really good price because I gig at his venue regularly. Contacts in the industry certainly helps.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I have been using a straight cab regularly (a house cab) after years of using a slant and I ****ing hate it. The only time I can hear it properly is if I'm on my knees. I end up needing some guitar put through my wedge - and I play loud. The sound guy rarely needs to put me through FoH but I need it in my wedge. It's preposterous. The crowd can hear it better than me and I'm standing right in front of it.
Like I said, you don't have ears in your knees.

Ebay and gumtree are pretty good places to start. I bought my RM100 new through a shop for a really good price because I gig at his venue regularly. Contacts in the industry certainly helps.

Ahh. Yeah.

And yeah, I used to have a contacts because the girl I used to dates uncle was a blackstar rep, unfortunately I'm sure his offer of "If you ever want anything for a really good price just speak to me about it!" expired when the relationship did. Ha.

Oh, and mentioning Blackstar what do you think about their amps/cabs?
I've never really seen many people comment on it here before in all the time I've lurked.
I wouldn't give Blackstar the steam off my shit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I wouldn't give Blackstar the steam off my shit.

Hahah why? I thought the series 1 6L6 amp head sounded half decent.

Bad experiences?
No, they are an unethical, lying bunch of shitbags. I wouldn't trust them as far as I could spit a large rat.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ well the series one amps aren't that bad though
But I don't think they would do for metalcore, they're more hard/heavy-rock-ish.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
The Series One could be the best amp on earth and I still wouldn't give Blackstar any money for it. I might grab one if it was used so I knew the money wouldn't be actually go to Blackstar but like I said, "steam off my shit" and all that.
**** 'em.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The Series One could be the best amp on earth and I still wouldn't give Blackstar any money for it. I might grab one if it was used so I knew the money wouldn't be actually go to Blackstar but like I said, "steam off my shit" and all that.
**** 'em.

hahaha.
Quote by Spambot_2
^ well the series one amps aren't that bad though
But I don't think they would do for metalcore, they're more hard/heavy-rock-ish.

Ahh alright. I just thought they were pretty versatile but yeah.
Well the good news is I grabbed the 4x12 mesa rectifier and the bad news is the head was already sold separately. Dang.

Those things are good with any amp really. You're gonna love it.
An Ironheart on top of that is still a viable option. Would be a sensational combination.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ended up finding a 6505 on sale at a music store for $900 and grabbed it

Sounds great.

Thanks for all your help guys!
Quote by Weaksaux
Ended up finding a 6505 on sale at a music store for $900 and grabbed it

Sounds great.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Be sure to boost the **** out of it with an OD.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by diabolical
Cathbard, is that in regards to their lying about some amps being 'tube' while they're tube enhanced?

Yes. I believe the Blackstar PR/community/demo guy refers to the HT amps as "all-tube" which is a giant load of stinky green horse shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enaYgJesWeM

Well that didn't take long to find.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Last edited by lemurflames at May 27, 2014,
0:49
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Allllll vaalllveee!

I'm sorry for hijacking you, Mr. Thread.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by diabolical
Cathbard, is that in regards to their lying about some amps being 'tube' while they're tube enhanced?
Yeah, and when somebody from here emailed them about it, one of their engineers lied through his teeth in his reply. Blatant, bald face lies. Here we are looking at the schematic and he's trying to tell us that there is no diode clipping in a HT5. Seriously, **** off. We know a tubescreamer circuit when we are looking at it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
But that's pregain, cath
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Pick up an ISP Technologies Vector cabinet and whatever 50-100W head you like best.

The ISP Technologies cabinet *looks* like a standard 4x12 when the grill cloth is on. But it's divided into two separate compartments and has some extremely sophisticated electronics that make it the ideal half-stack-style cabinet for Darth Metal.

The electronics strip out the bottom end and feed the mids and highs to a pair of fairly normal guitar 12" speakers (Jensens) arrayed vertically in their own sealed compartment. The lows are fed into a 400W power amp feeding a 500W active subwoofer in its own sealed cabinet. The cabinet was designed to be used with their Theta head, but can be used with any amp head. The cabinet is flat all the way down to 50Hz (most 4x12s drop off drastically at around 110Hz). Worth noting that a standard low E is 82Hz -- most 4x12s won't even reproduce the fundamental of a standard 6-string guitar.

The cabinet in this photo is the one I'm talking about. It's pictured with ISP Technologies' Theta head:

Page 1 of 2